You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Does anybody here use a dongle?

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat

Yesterday afternoon my usually reliable internet connection went down three times at a very bad time; I was HU at a final table. My opponent had no qualms stealing my blinds as quickly as possible and I went from having a slight chip lead to being totally crippled while disconnected.

I play on a laptop, so I'm thinking of getting a dongle to keep on standby for emergencies. Has anybody here ever played poker using one? Are they any good? Can you get them on pay-as-you-go (because I wouldn't use it enough to justify a contract)?

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    i use one on the lappy at the moment. i have a dodgy hip and havnt been able to cant sit at the computer for the last week. had no more problems with dongle than on the computer. hope it helps   phil
  • edited February 2011
    I just plug my ehternet cable into mine. Its only good for about 1 table tho and i cant have anything running along side.

I dont trust dongles.
  • edited February 2011
    Hi Gary, I use a dongle. problems are rare, but wet and windy weather can affect connection, I have mine mounted on a satellite dish, it strengthens and stabilises the signal--- There's a thread I put up in technical queries if you want to try it-- speed is loads faster and more reliable with the dish---- you can get a dongle without a contract but they have a download limit that's usually a bit silly, best to get a monthly one with 10/15 gb limit--hope that helps -- gl
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks for the responses guys.