You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SOLO OR POKER?

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
MY FAV GAME IS SOLO DOES ANY1 THINK OR AGREE WITH ME ITS A BETTER GAME.BEFORE ANY1 SAYS ITS ONLY A 4HANDED GAME,I KNOW IT IS BUT SKILL WISE ITS AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER.DEL

Comments

• edited February 2011
    In Response to SOLO OR POKER?:
    MY FAV GAME IS SOLO DOES ANY1 THINK OR AGREE WITH ME ITS A BETTER GAME.BEFORE ANY1 SAYS ITS ONLY A 4HANDED GAME,I KNOW IT IS BUT SKILL WISE ITS AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER.DEL
    Posted by DELTA

My Grandad was a great solo player and taught me the game. Unfortunately so few people play it down south nowadays. But about 25 years ago when I used to seriously like a drink we used to have marathon nap sessions in my local every Saturday and Sunday. In those days the pub closed Sunday afternoons,but we would carry on in the garden and go back in when the pub opened again. We used to only play for pennies, but the game was taken so seriously some pots would last hours and get up to £200. Only half the game that solo is but I love it !
  • edited February 2011
    Solo Is so tough to learn.....

I love a game of "all hearts" in the club, but they soon move on to solo.....and I haven't a clue when they start on that game.
  • edited February 2011
    Posted by DELTA
    Might be showing my age here but I have lived an eventful 29 years :)

I was taught different card games when I was a kid by my old man. I think I was as young as 4 or 5. I learnt how to play crib, solo and other variations of card games. I have not played solo for years but could prob pick it up again after a few games. Most pub games were then crash or 3 card brag before I found the wonderful game called poker.

Perhaps you could start a card school up on Sunday mornings down your bar Del. We could then teach Micky lad how to play poker :))
  • edited February 2011

Excellent game, spent many a saturday and sunday in the local club playing this game, but that was 30 odd years ago.
  • edited February 2011
    Yes, I think I have had a misspent youth...lasting over 50 years ! While running pubs in different parts of the country I had to learn all sorts of games. In Kent I had to learn Kalooki, in South London I was expected to play for both the dominoes and cribbage teams in the local league.

But my favourite was when I had a pub with a proper Irish public bar. They played a game the rules of which made solo look like kids stuff. It was called 25, with even more complicated variations called 55 and 110.

They were amazed when I, being English, wanted to play, and it took a while to get the rules sorted out. The hardest part was understanding their attitude to the game. One minute they would be taking it so seriously, and heaven help you if you made a mistake. Then the game would stop and usually friendly arguments would develop about the play. The game was then often forgotten for ages while we all had a few drinks, and sometimes wouldnt restart at all.  It was all about the craic and should be played well but never allowed to interfere with the drinking.

I bet Tikay would have some stories to throw into this thread
  • edited February 2011

i remember a game my mum taught me call ed find the lady  i carnt remember the full rule will have to ask her might help with the poker you never know you can but hope
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: SOLO OR POKER?:
      i remember a game my mum taught me call ed find the lady  i carnt remember the full rule will have to ask her might help with the poker you never know you can but hope
    Posted by rosjim1
    i think find the lady used to be called greek arts in this part ove the world,its a poor game in comparison to solo tho jim but still a good game,not so many rows as in solo when someone makes a mistake.del
  • edited February 2011

You have got yourself a game of Solo at the next SPT, time permitting, Wayne!

A truly wonderful game, I spent so many long nights playing this as a youngster, & it's great for concentration & discipline, because, as you know, it's necessary to "count" every card of every suit when they appear.

Even dealing it is an art form - I seem to recall we dealt, clockwise, to each player .....

4-3-3-3, then 3-4-3-3, then 3-3-4-3, & finally 3-3-3-4? If there was a misdeal, that was a shilling fine.

My fave hand was a Misere, "bundles" ("Abundance") were routine, "Royal Abundance" very unusual.

My favourite play was always a "Misere Ouverte" (pronounced "missair avair"), where the coup was to LOSE all thirteen tricks, play the first trick "normally", then lay your hand down on the Table, face up, & STILL lose the next 12 tricks!

There is just one problem with the game, which is, in essence, each hand is 3 players v 1 player. The three players must not cheat, by "hinting", but 3 good Solo players know exactly what each must do, & more important, what his two colleagues must do, to beat the declarer. We play, in effect, as a Team v 1, but no spoken colluding. The problem arises when there is ONE bad or inefficient player, who plays badly, & fails to read what he's expected to do, as he spoils it for everyone.

Penguin mentioned Kalooki, to, which I play quite a lot in Luton, whilst waiting for the Tourneys to start. I'm not much of a kalooki player - we just play for £10 or £20 - but the odd thing about Kalooki is that I don't recall EVER seeing a good Kalooki player under ther age of 40. Kids just can't play it, it's too technical I think.

I've not played Solo for more than 40 years, but that's another game which I'df be extremely surprised if youngsters can play, it's so full of subtle nuances. In fact, I'd prefer youngsters did not plpay it, as I think the etiquette in games like Solo is incredibly important, & if some young gun started table banging or whooping & hollering, I truly think I'd have to slap him.

Etiquette & "winning or losing with dignity" barely exists in poker now, which is truly sad, but games like Solo don't deserve to be ruined by ill-manners.

Good thread, Wayne.

• edited February 2011
    well if i run my jj into ak 1st hand at luton and you give the mike to skydave we only need 2more and we have a game ove skill up and running,happy days and they were,its a shame the younger players dont know about solo as im sure they would love it as much as poker ,because the stakes can be as high as you like as in poker.del
  • edited February 2011
    well if i run my jj into ak 1st hand at luton and you give the mike to skydave we only need 2more and we have a game ove skill up and running,happy days and they were,its a shame the younger players dont know about solo as im sure they would love it as much as poker ,because the stakes can be as high as you like as in poker.del
    Posted by DELTA
    Yes, the Stakes can be high in "Solo", but there is a crucial difference between Solo & Poker - poker contains a huge element of luck. Solo does not, it's predominanyly a game of skill, & the better players almost always prevail in Solo. Without "bad luck" as an excuse, Poker Forum's traffic would plummet! 
  • edited February 2011
    may sound daft or maybe im just a kid lol, but whats solo?
  • edited February 2011
    Posted by The_Don90
    its a game ove tremendous skill and there is no luck involved at all.its to hard in a thread to show or tell you how to play the game but im sure they must be something on the web somewhere google it m8 and see.del  ps if they is let me know cus i need to learn b4 luton to play tk.lol
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: SOLO OR POKER? : its a game ove tremendous skill and there is no luck involved at all.its to hard in a thread to show or tell you how to play the game but im sure they must be something on the web somewhere google it m8 and see.del  ps if they is let me know cus i need to learn b4 luton to play tk.lol
    Posted by DELTA
    ill see what i can find. Cheers.
  • edited February 2011
    Posted by The_Don90
    There is a website called pagat.com which explains the rules of Solo as well as all other card games. But the only way to learn it is to play.

Its listed as Solo Whist.
  • edited February 2011

Etiquette & "winning or losing with dignity" barely exists in poker now, which is truly sad, but games like Solo don't deserve to be ruined by ill-manners.

From my experience when playing Solo and other games like Nap, Kalooki and 25, where it is either a team game or the declarer versus the rest, there is often an inquest after a hand.

And you will be criticised if you make a mistake, but it is invariably done in a civilised manner.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: SOLO OR POKER? : There is a website called pagat.com which explains the rules of Solo as well as all other card games. But the only way to learn it is to play . Its listed as Solo Whist.
    Posted by penguin7
    thats me you and tk then tony just 1 more and we have a game at luton.friday nite sounds good to me as im not payin £100+ on the nite.del
  • edited February 2011
    Etiquette & "winning or losing with dignity" barely exists in poker now, which is truly sad, but games like Solo don't deserve to be ruined by ill-manners. From my experience when playing Solo and other games like Nap, Kalooki and 25, where it is either a team game or the declarer versus the rest, there is often an inquest after a hand. And you will be criticised if you make a mistake, but it is invariably done in a civilised manner.
    Posted by penguin7
    Exactly that, Tony.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: SOLO OR POKER? : ill see what i can find. Cheers.
    Posted by The_Don90
    It's here, Donald.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_whist

Remember one thing, though - as Wayne noted, unlike Poker, there is NO LUCK in Solo, so players can't hide behind bad luck, or make excuses for losing. It's pure skill.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: SOLO OR POKER? : It's here, Donald. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solo_whist Remember one thing, though - as Wayne noted, unlike Poker, there is NO LUCK in Solo, so players can't hide behind bad luck, or make excuses for losing. It's pure skill.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Almosts sounds like a dig there tikay lol.

Thanks ill have a good read after my bath. Sounds like a very interesting game and one worth learning.
  • edited February 2011
    Solo ??

Nah - Bridge ftw!
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: SOLO OR POKER? : Almosts sounds like a dig there tikay lol. Thanks ill have a good read after my bath. Sounds like a very interesting game and one worth learning.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Absolutely not, Donald, but a fact. As poker players, we so rarely hear, or say "I was not good enough", we just blame bad luck. In Solo, we can't do that.

Imagine - a game with no bad beats!
  • edited February 2011
    Solo ?? Nah - Bridge ftw!
    Posted by Ploppy33
    My Grandparents taught me Solo. We used to plasy long into the night when the family got together at Christmas. Then I discovered Bridge and me and my mates used to play Bridge all night after the pub closed!
    Solo is an excellent game but I have to agree with Ploppy. Bridge is "different class".
  • edited February 2011
    Google solo whist download and it looks like you can download the game to play on your laptop
  • edited February 2011
    im up for solo bridge kalooki crib thats all we played as youngsters see you at luton count me in
  • edited February 2011
    Posted by DELTA
    funny that del....mick jennings said you are great at solo(only he meant in a one in a bed sense!)
  • edited February 2011
    Young men can't play solo?? I can play it :) not sure how well (probs awful) but i know how to play and often play a bit if holdem bores me!
  • edited February 2011

I played Solo at my local as a teenager, but that is soooo loooong ago, not sure I can remember the rules anymore.  Sure you would remind me Wayne.

• edited February 2011
    Posted by rosjim1
     This may have been Queenie or Newmarket when played for money from memory...I spent many a Sunday afternoon playing cards in the pub from 2pm to 7pm when  the pub shut and we were all locked in and the money was put behind the bar in a thick dimpled pint pot!

Solo was played along with Crib, Canasta and my favourite Nap (Napoleon) but I'm going back about 30 years, I remember I used to look forward to Sundays far too much! Wow...I'm getting nostalgic, pipes, flat caps, Captain full strength & Theakstons Old Peculiar....sigh and no I don't mean I used to wear a flat cap and smoke Capstan lol I was more a snowball and 5 Players no 6 tipped and a book of matches kinda girl :-).
  • edited February 2011
    newmarket what a great family game play it now with my own children always lose