You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is min raising the new stupid?

edited February 2011 in Poker Chat
or is it clever?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    cleverly stupid imo
  • edited February 2011

I used to detest min raising with a passion and thought it was flopwit daft.

However, Now, having played 100s of sng's recently i can see a use for it and im warming to the min raise in the right cirumstance. (when the blinds are massive)

But, constant min raising and having a min raise as your standard raise is not great imo. It's just like a big limp innit.

• edited February 2011
    I raised it up 3x the BB at a live game last night .........

Oh how the internet kids laughed ;o(
  • edited February 2011
    ye hear on TV these day raising 2.5BB is this the new or old stock raise for some, mainly used in MTT's
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Is min raising the new stupid?:
    ye hear on TV these day raising 2.5BB is this the new or old stock raise for some, mainly used in MTT's
    Posted by JIMMYMAD
    yea this is usually for latter stages of mtts. As everyone is short it allows a raise fold without pricing in the BB.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Is min raising the new stupid? : yea this is usually for latter stages of mtts. As everyone is short it allows a raise fold without pricing in the BB.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Cheers for clearing that up Don was wondering way it was 2.5 big but realise due to the short stacks and the high blind levels
  • edited February 2011
    I've seen loads of min raising in mtts lately, I can understand doing it with medium/low pocket pairs, just in case you hit a set, but people are doing it with AA, ak, a-j, Q-j ect ect---early in a deep stack it Just seems silly to me, the whole table calls a min raise, so all it does is build the pot and make it harder to play and more risky to defend--- flopwit stupid imo-- A raise should at least thin the field and show strength--- innit!
  • edited February 2011
    I've seen loads of min raising in mtts lately, I can understand doing it with medium/low pocket pairs, just in case you hit a set, but people are doing it with AA, ak, a-j, Q-j ect ect---early in a deep stack it Just seems silly to me, the whole table calls a min raise, so all it does is build the pot and make it harder to play and more risky to defend--- flopwit stupid imo-- A raise should at least thin the field and show strength--- innit!
    Posted by oynutter
    Agree nutter that is why people are now raising 2.5BB, I hate min raising due to it brings some mediocre hands in
  • edited February 2011
    How many people who min raise finish up posting in Area 51 cause they got a "bad beat"?
  • edited February 2011
    Everyone calls min raises early in deep stacks and low/medium stakes mtts--- It seems like it's a new fashion to do it, I just wondered if there is any logic behind it, or is it the new stupid?
  • edited February 2011
    Everyone calls min raises early in deep stacks and low/medium stakes mtts--- It seems like it's a new fashion to do it, I just wondered if there is any logic behind it, or is it the new stupid?
    Posted by oynutter
    no logic to min raising early in deepstacks. Its the old stupid because people have been doing it for years on here. people think its fixed limit or summit, i dunno.

Its just a big limp. it dont achieve anything. If people min raise in deepstacks early and im on the button i will often 3 bet with a wide range just to see what they are up to and to thin the field.

If youve got a hand bet it properly, if you havent got a hand and you want to play it, bet it properly. Its quite simple. min raising with AA utg with 250bbs behind is just so bad cos you will usually get 5 callers (unless im on the button) and your hand may as well be flopwit useless.
  • edited February 2011
    I raised it up 3x the BB at a live game last night ......... Oh how the internet kids laughed ;o(
    Posted by JockBMW
    lol.
  • edited February 2011
    There used to be a lot of tourny players on here who would routinely min raise every pot, and then follow it with another min bet on any flop. Not so many nowadays although some of the people are still around and have improved their game to be quite successful. It could be very frustrating to play against.
  • edited February 2011
    A while back in a deepie there was a min raise utg,-- a call--fold--fold--fold-- I called on the button with 7-5h and knocked out two players--- first had AA, second had KK---blinds were 10/20---15000 chips for me lol---whats dat all about?
  • edited February 2011
    There used to be a lot of tourny players on here who would routinely min raise every pot, and then follow it with another min bet on any flop. Not so many nowadays although some of the people are still around and have improved their game to be quite successful. It could be very frustrating to play against.
    Posted by penguin7
    You get this in the dyms, but even more so, they limp, then follow it up with a min bet. Its usually a steal, i think, but sometimes they wake up with monsters so there is little point defending from the bb with junk, although i am tempted every day!!

limp, min bet.... arrrrrrrgh...
  • edited February 2011
    In my opinion ,people min raise for several reasons, and if they told you why they min raise it would give their game away. I know it frustrates many people, but then again, however you bet, if it is not the standard way, people question it.
    If it is to your advantage , well and good, if it confuses you, thats tough.
    You pay your entry and play the game as you want to, you learn from your mistakes, could be expenxsive.
    but again if you did not pay to see someone , you would never get to know what cards they had, however obvious.
    you will be surprised how many people bluff and when they get caught, they say, " how can you call that?"
    You live nad learen, call it a life experience.
  • edited February 2011
    The min raise always seems to be with the hand that holds value but not a preemy.  Seems people try and use it as a block bet out of position with suited connectors and such, or just deviants who over value semi holdings but dont want to limp.  I've always hated it. If your going to min raise, why not just make it the 2.2 or 2.5.
  • edited February 2011
    i have 1 use 4 a min bet, its a nice tool 2 have in latter stages of mtt stt against the right players, its a min bet reraise.... they call, check the turn i bet they fold, simples!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Min raises are fine sometimes, but the most stupid ones i hate is when there are 5 limpers and the BB min raises, i mean what is the point of that?
  • edited February 2011
    Min raises are fine sometimes, but the most stupid ones i hate is when there are 5 limpers and the BB min raises, i mean what is the point of that?
    Posted by loonytoons
    Haha i seen a hand the other day

DYM im in SB with 67cc

Blinds 10/20

UTG calls.
    MP  calls
    CO calls
    Button calls
    I call
    BB raised to 40
    UTG raised to 60
    MP folds