You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

silly question maybe

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic
"SHUOLD" the amount someone has in front of them effect your decision making  in "cash" games. ob in mtts a big stack can play more open against small stacks, but when this is the case in cash games should it effect your decision making on marginal hands!

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Only thing I would think, how much of there stack are they committing into the pot so are they getting too pot stuck therfore they will probably ship the rest of it in. 

So how much of there stack are they committing into the pot
  • edited February 2011
    and does that change if he became short and didnt top up compared to he sat down at say nl30 with £5.88 say, surley his mentality is vastly different and so bet sizing will be dramatically different.   phil
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to silly question maybe:
    "SHUOLD" the amount someone has in front of them effect your decision making  in "cash" games. ob in mtts a big stack can play more open against small stacks, but when this is the case in cash games should it effect your decision making on marginal hands!
    Posted by pod1
    Absolutely! I would say it was quite important especially when getting involved with marginal hands. If your short stacked playing against a big stack then you will struggle to get them to fold. Always should be aware of this in my experience. I also find it very useful when getting paid off with a big hand against small stacks, get them pot committed and then stack them. Sounds simple but i would say it is very important.
  • edited February 2011

yep as drsharp as said its very important! shortstackers have a different mentality than someone who buys in for the maximum & tbh you should be able to narrow down there starting hand range quite easily, as they are pretty much only playing premium hands (unless seen otherwise)

taking it a bit further even when buying in for the maximum (100bb's) your play and thought process should be different than say if your in a hand with 300bbs against somebody with a similar stack ie tptk may well be good enough 100bbs deep to get all the money in, 300bbs deep it more than likely isnt.

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: silly question maybe:
    yep as drsharp as said its very important! shortstackers have a different mentality than someone who buys in for the maximum & tbh you should be able to narrow down there starting hand range quite easily, as they are pretty much only playing premium hands (unless seen otherwise) taking it a bit further even when buying in for the maximum (100bb's) your play and thought process should be different than say if your in a hand with 300bbs against somebody with a similar stack ie tptk may well be good enough 100bbs deep to get all the money in, 300bbs deep it more than likely isnt.
    Posted by ratedRKO
    TPTK is only really good getting it in against a shorty imo. AK Axx flop can sometimes be a little different, but even then 1 pair is all it is and its setting up for a losing play long term in my experiance.

Id say, if your 300BB and someone is 100BB deep tho maybe worth it. However if your 200BB and someone else is 300BB deep you want a set or better imo.

Again if your short say 50BB then maybe TPTK is worth gambling with it on.

Its all so opponent based, there was one hand yesterday i got it in with TPQK just because i knew the guy was an idiot and i was right.
  • edited February 2011
    vs shortstacks you have to think about bet sizing its easy to get pot committed with draws and marginal hands, i  raise smaller vs them pf and normally shove vs their steals with good equity hands, vs big stack 150bb+ it all depends how big your stack is in comparison, its what you have back, the more you both have back then implied odds change alot