You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

When to go all in?

edited February 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Hi

In some of my cash games i wonder if I am getting maximum value on the river and if i should go all in when i think i have the best hand. I rarely do this because I think it better to get some value with a call, rather than going all in and him folding and you getting no extra cash. I find this mostly happens when i am unsure about the strength of my opponent. 

Here is an example of a situtation where i am not sure if i made the right river bet..

I was two off the button with 3/4 hearts. Everyone folded to me and I made a loose raise (3x) (to mix up my game) and the small and big blind called. 

The flop comes down AK5 (all different suits - ace is a heart) 

Everyone checks. I check too. 

I get a miracle turn card - 2 of hearts. So make a straight. 

The small blind then puts in 3/4 pot size bet, big blind folds, I raise him the pot again.. He calls. 

The river comes (a blank/no heart) and he checks to me....

I then bet about  3/4 of the pot.

He calls and turn over AQ 

Now, I thought he had an ace, but was unsure about his kicker strength, so aired on the side of caution and didnt go all in (which would have been about a 2.5x the pot - we were both pretty deep stacked). But, in retrospect think he might have called this..

If unsure about the strength of your opponent (though you think you have the best hand) do you think it better to bet less rather risk going all in and getting nothing?

Cheers

Comments

• edited February 2011

If you only had < 1.5 times the  pot left then easy shove.

In this spot, two things to consider :

- whether a 3/4 pot bet works more than 3 times as often as a 2.5 pot shove (simple maths problem really).
    - whether overshoving for value affects your chances of getting bluffs through, if you sized these differently.

• edited February 2011
    Depending on the stakes, if we are playing micro stakes here, then i think going all in is the way forward. At these stakes we always have to overbet as we nearly always get called down. Players at these stakes never like to throw their hands away and always want to get to showdown. Overbet for value.
    Regards
    Dan