You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice on gut shot straight gamble?

Right, the villain had been fairly loose aggressive but i was confident of outplaying said villain and had done for the last half hour or so without any problems. Firstly, i hate my limp call pre-flop but my reasoning was that it was a limpathon and i thought i could sneak a cheap view of the flop, and i did, they let me check the turn to get a free card so i took it. Obviously i have a gut shot straight but i dont have the odds but if i hit i would have stacked villain without doubt. I am fairly certain that i am correctly folding this but thought i would put this out there for any comments due to the fact it is so tempting for a beginner like me to call and have a look. Just wanted some reassurance basically from some of the more experienced players and their views on these type of situations. Should i have been more aggresive post flop or was i right to try and hit the straight as cheaply as possible? Thanks in advance!

Hand History #346850043 (17:37 28/02/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
babycham Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.83
IVISON Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.92
  Your hole cards

Mr_Devoto Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.40
DrSharp Call  £0.04 £0.14 £6.27
villain Call  £0.04 £0.18 £0.80
Fish57 Fold     
babycham Call  £0.02 £0.20 £2.81
IVISON Check     
Flop

babycham Check     
IVISON Check     
Mr_Devoto Check     
DrSharp Check     
villain Check     
Turn

babycham Check     
IVISON Check     
Mr_Devoto Check     
DrSharp Check     
villain Bet  £0.20 £0.40 £0.60
babycham Fold     
IVISON Fold     
Mr_Devoto Fold     
DrSharp Fold     
villain Muck     
villain Win  £0.18  £0.78
villain Return  £0.20 £0.02 £0.98

Comments

• edited February 2011
    The fact it was a limpfest makes the preflop call even worse !
    You had no showdown value at all, just the poor end of a gutshot. Even if he didnt have a made hand, an 8 on the river, particularly 8s or 8d would have put you in real trouble. Easily put him on JQ or a flush draw. So how would you have stacked him ? Instafold.

• edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: Advice on gut shot straight gamble?:
    The fact it was a limpfest makes the preflop call even worse ! You had no showdown value at all, just the poor end of a gutshot. Even if he didnt have a made hand, an 8 on the river, particularly 8s or 8d would have put you in real trouble. Easily put him on JQ or a flush draw. So how would you have stacked him ? Instafold.
    Posted by penguin7
    Yeah, sorry Penguin. When i say 'stacked' him i meant he would definitely put the rest of his stack on the table. I realised straight away that a limp in was terrible and i was'nt happy with it as soon as i did it. I knew it was time to get away from this as soon as i limped in and didnt hit a miracle on the flop. When i reviewed my hands after playing this stood out to be the worst hand i have played in some time so thought i would post it as a sort of punishment to myself lol.

The other thing is i dont think i would be comfortable raising 3xbb with these cards. Is that a bit too tight or are my initial instincts to throw these away pre-flop correct? Dont really know why i played it the way i did to be honest, probably just felt like a gamble.

Thankyou for the input Penguin. You were one of the more 'experienced' players i hoped would give some thoughts on this.
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks but the main point I was trying to make was how dangerous that board was if you hit your gutshot.
  • edited March 2011

What are all the limpers doing when you raise? Not with this hand but with strength?

If the table is really loose then playing tight aggressive should see you make a good profit.

• edited March 2011
    Hi Doc
    Villain acts after you. Are you expecting him to raise pre flop and if so what would you do? If he normally raises why limp unless you are going to call? And with that hand I wouldn't. Wait for your hands against him. But what about the others? Are they following his raises with calls which may make you calling a positive one over time?

As played definately a fold as he puts in a large amount of his stack and you have nothing really.
  • edited March 2011
    im not so sure its that bad limping in with connectors and small pps at these micros if everyone is limping a lot, you dont need to balance anything or disguise the strength of your hand nor do you need to get the pot started as it will grow with all the limps, you wont get 3bet off hands that bust big hands.........did i really just say that lol

someone give me some good arguments against this pleaseeeeeeee