You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Just checking it's not just me....

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Just been subject to what i'm certain is just car crash poker and only a case of bad luck. Only, it seems to be happening to me all the time, so want to check it's no more than a downswing....

10handed sit and go, double your money... under the gun i raise AK 3xBB. Get a caller in middle position and the small blind makes it up as well.

Comes QQ3 on the flop, i lead out and both call again. A blank on the turn so i lead out again, half the pot, and the small blind calls again.

The turn puts a possible flush on the board. I bet 3/4 pot to try and secure it and he calls again.

He turns over Q9. He called my preflop early position raise with Q9.

Just pains me as he's done it twice more, jumped to a massive chip lead and will easily fold to the money.

I'm playing low stakes so i guess maybe he's just gambling, but the thought that long term he'll lose is not much consolation at the moment....I'm just unlucky, right??

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Nooooo, I've just written a reply to this once saying it would be better in the clinic and it gets lost as the thread is in the process of being moved lol.

Anyway this is what I said,

Whilst you are going to lose some chips here and yes, your opponents call pre-flop is loose, you could still benefit from looking more deeply into your own play in my opinion. I don't think you need to 3 barrell here with only A high. You got 2 callers on a flop of QQ3, what did you think they had? So you barrell again on the turn anyway. Then you fire a 3rd barrell on the river when the only possible hands that you could beat on the flop and the turn are now beating you as well.

Good luck at the tables,

JC
  • edited March 2011
    Depending on what the Blinds were in relation to the stacks, that may not be a too uncommon call.

e.g.  2000 stack  starting blinds 10/20   you raise to 60 ( 3x BB)  a call only represents 3% of your stack.  I'd call that with Q9

Also The point about a DYM is not to win it but to survive it, till you hit the cash.  Same money for coming 5th and 1st.  His tactic of, waiting till the money once he had a big stack , is actually a very sound way to play DYM's 

Just my opinion of course and my initial argument is a bit less true once the Blinds start to reach a higher percentage of the stacks 
  • edited March 2011
    I have posted a hand kind of like this one in the clinic recently, most people disagreed with me though. I have a good record in DYM and i dont mind losing 300-400 chips early like this as there is still plenty of time. I would not of played this hand the same way but after mocking my loss i believe the table see's you as a bluffer which makes it easier to cash in on winning hands and now you become unpredictable. Just try not to let these hands get to you so much
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Just checking it's not just me....:
    Just been subject to what i'm certain is just car crash poker and only a case of bad luck. Only, it seems to be happening to me all the time, so want to check it's no more than a downswing.... 10handed sit and go, double your money... under the gun i raise AK 3xBB. Get a caller in middle position and the small blind makes it up as well. Comes QQ3 on the flop, i lead out and both call again. A blank on the turn so i lead out again, half the pot, and the small blind calls again. The turn puts a possible flush on the board. I bet 3/4 pot to try and secure it and he calls again. He turns over Q9. He called my preflop early position raise with Q9. Just pains me as he's done it twice more, jumped to a massive chip lead and will easily fold to the money. I'm playing low stakes so i guess maybe he's just gambling, but the thought that long term he'll lose is not much consolation at the moment....I'm just unlucky, right??
    Posted by Scruffster
    Hi Scruffster. Right, i think the critical point of this hand is when the QQ3 comes on the flop. You have missed and you have two other players in the hand. I like the lead out to be fair from this point but alarm bells would be ringing with two callers following me to the turn. Chances are at least one of them have latched on to a set of Q's, especially in DYM's as people have very tight starting hands which often have Q's in them. I would just accept that i am behind here and find a way of getting away from this without putting any more chips in the pot. I think firing again is a mistake here due to the fact that if villain does have Q's, he aint folding them. Quietly slip away from this hand on the flop and wait for a better spot.