You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

"Scheduled Maintenance" again? **%??aarrgghh,,,,,,

2»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: "Scheduled Maintenance" again? **%??aarrgghh,,,,,,:
    Nice pre-emptive strike Tikay :) Out of interest, are their any plans to change the infrastructure to reduce/eliminate maintenance downtime? Most sites handle this by having a live/production and development version of their platforms, changes roll out to the dev platform, get tested, then made live in a matter of minutes rather than hours. Any particular reason Sky Bet haven't gone down this route? /geekery I'm not asking from the customer's POV so much as Sky's really...downtime is serious money in gaming, after all. Anyway, just wondering if you can lassoo one of the tech guys for an answer.
    Posted by DannyMcs
    hi DannyMcs,

Yes that would be a long term ambition, site outage's are a lose/lose situation for you and us, but our infrastructure is some way from being in that kind of position to be honest.

We can (and do) roll out changes on a daily basis across all of our platforms which do not require down time, i.e. they are carried out seamlessly to you our customers, it all depends on the nature of the release and what impact it may have on the live service though.

The database, storage and infrastructure work which has been the order of the day recently requires long periods of downtime across the whole platform unfortunately, there has been no alternative.

We have a number of dev environments & 1 staging which we use to test code changes before moving to production, but this is an area which we are currently investing in to improve the testing and release process, as with all infrastructure related projects - they take time and money, there's no quick fix unfortunately.

Kind Regards

Adam

• edited March 2011
    Hi tikay Is there anything in the pipeline when on mini view we will be able to chat?
    Posted by slaverchop
    in a way - yes

We are currently investigating the options for delivering completely resizable tables (Mininmum = currentmini view size, max = fullscreen), which will therefore have a chat box available at all times.

This will therefore likely result in 'mini-view' becoming obsolete

It's a fairly complex piece of work that is in the later stages of being specc'd out, but this would just be 1 small component of a large project. In fact it would be the biggest change we've ever made on Sky Poker if we agree it's the right way forward!

Regards

Adam
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: "Scheduled Maintenance" again? **%??aarrgghh,,,,,, : in a way - yes We are currently investigating the options for delivering completely resizable tables (Mininmum = currentmini view size, max = fullscreen), which will therefore have a chat box available at all times. This will therefore likely result in 'mini-view' becoming obsolete It's a fairly complex piece of work that is in the later stages of being specc'd out, but this would just be 1 small component of a large project. In fact it would be the biggest change we've ever made on Sky Poker if we agree it's the right way forward! Regards Adam
    Posted by Sky_Adam
    Hi Adam,
    Does that mean we would have to resize our own tables everytime one opened if we wanted to multi table..and wouldn't the action look smaller than on the standard mini view because avatars/chat box...etc will all have to fit in also?
    Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why does my dog chase cars? Even if he caught one he hasn't passed his test!
  • edited March 2011
    Long live mini view!!!

Its one of the things that's miles better here than elsewhere.
  • edited March 2011
    Long live mini view!!! Its one of the things that's miles better here than elsewhere.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Huge +1. I hope this doesn't change too much...
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: "Scheduled Maintenance" again? **%??aarrgghh,,,,,, : Hi Alan. At least 1 of your MTT suggestions has been developed and signed off, it is awaiting the next scheduled poker release (next Weds/Thurs tentatively). It was due to go live a few weeks ago, but the essential maintenance work which has been taking place every week (sometimes twice a week) for the last month or so has taken priority. The fix is: Adding Buy-in and tournament ID to the Top bar, to aid multitabling (especially DYM of various buy-ins) and to help you contact C/Care with any tournament problems in real-time. We will also include this: Auto-settlement of DYM's and Satellite MTT's when all players remaining have an equal prize. Allowing multiple lobby pop-ups is something i'm keen to do, it's a simple change but dependent on analysis following another project (ETA 2-3 weeks) For cash players, we've resolved the issue with players being kicked off the tables when going for a loo break. There's also a huge change to how the lobby works, which will ensure that all info is updated in next to real time, so if you see a seat available then you know it's free.... The rest of your suggestions will all be resolved in one big project which we are still in the process of speccing out. Kind Regards Adam
    Posted by Sky_Adam
    Like Greg, I love you Sky_Adam.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks for the response Adam. I did some consulting for another gaming co on just this issue so I know it can be tricky, as well as how painful every minute of downtime is to the bottom line. Look forward to improvements in that area, if only so Sky has more to invest back in the site, and competitions/deals/freebies for us :)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: "Scheduled Maintenance" again? **%??aarrgghh,,,,,, : Hi Adam, Does that mean we would have to resize our own tables everytime one opened if we wanted to multi table..and wouldn't the action look smaller than on the standard mini view because avatars/chat box...etc will all have to fit in also? Thanks ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Why does my dog chase cars? Even if he caught one he hasn't passed his test!
    Posted by BananaDog
    Hi Banana,

Good questions, that's the challenge of development :-) - we must identify all potential problems and mitigate them accordingly (there are hundreds!)

E.G.

Auto-tiling & resizing options on table load
    Complex scaling algorithms to ensure key functions (cards, bet amounts etc) are not reduced in size beyond a certain point (the rest of the non-essential assets e.g. avatars would be reduced further to compensate)
    Complete table redesign to maximise real estate
    etc!

Kind Regards

Adam
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: "Scheduled Maintenance" again? **%??aarrgghh,,,,,, : Having met him once (luton last year afaic)....I will go for back row, far left?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    lol - the answer is none of them :-)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: "Scheduled Maintenance" again? **%??aarrgghh,,,,,, : Hi Banana, Good questions, that's the challenge of development :-) - we must identify all potential problems and mitigate them accordingly (there are hundreds!) E.G. Auto-tiling & resizing options on table load Complex scaling algorithms to ensure key functions (cards, bet amounts etc) are not reduced in size beyond a certain point (the rest of the non-essential assets e.g. avatars would be reduced further to compensate) Complete table redesign to maximise real estate etc! Kind Regards Adam
    Posted by Sky_Adam
    Thanks for the reply Adam,
    I thought I'd ask because I have seen it on another site where you could resize the tables manually but they became so small that it was very difficult to easily see the bet sizes, buttons, cards etc...
    Auto-tiling would be great if it can work preperly..atm the tiling is a little odd because rather than putting them side-by-side I think it is tiling them in a cirle shape on the screen! lol
    ps, being able to have an auto seat option in the settings would also be handy (i.e. so you will be always sat bottom-middle seat for instance)
    Well rather you lot than me, good luck sorting it all out techy guys :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Why does my dog chase cars? Even if he caught one he hasn't passed his test!
  • edited March 2011
    Ty tikay and adam for the replies :)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: "Scheduled Maintenance" again? **%??aarrgghh,,,,,, : lol - the answer is none of them :-)
    Posted by Sky_Adam

Cheers Adam. I was going to say ALL of them but thought better of it.
    Thanks for your other replies as well....

Now then.....late reg....H4H......royal flush jackpot. Ok, I will leave these for now :))
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: "Scheduled Maintenance" again? **%??aarrgghh,,,,,, : Thanks for the reply Adam, I thought I'd ask because I have seen it on another site where you could resize the tables manually but they became so small that it was very difficult to easily see the bet sizes, buttons, cards etc... Auto-tiling would be great if it can work preperly..atm the tiling is a little odd because rather than putting them side-by-side I think it is tiling them in a cirle shape on the screen! lol ps, being able to have an auto seat option in the settings would also be handy (i.e. so you will be always sat bottom-middle seat for instance) Well rather you lot than me, good luck sorting it all out techy guys :) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Why does my dog chase cars? Even if he caught one he hasn't passed his test!
    Posted by BananaDog
    I like the auto seat option nana, it would save me having to rotate my seat to the bottom left. I always have to sit on the bottom left i dunno why lol.
  • edited March 2011
    I did post on this somewhere a while back. I think it would be really helpful when visible changes are made to the site a change log is published.  This would help the players spot anything untoward happening in the affected area and also up awareness of the changes. e.g. the recent max buy in change on the 5p/10p tables, as far as I'm aware, wasn't announced until someone asked about it.
    Posted by Machka
    Wah, Wah, What about my question?

Although technically I never actually asked a question did I?
  • edited March 2011
    Ohhhhhh I was hoping it would be a different dog-based gag everytime !!!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    You're barking up the wrong tree if you want a different dog-based pun each time.