You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

played too passive??

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic

ok hand is readless, only thing i know about the player is that he is good. do i play this way too passive? should i lead turn? as played should i call river? its KQ or a total bluff imo - but readless i have to fold right?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
stienSmall blind £0.25£0.25£49.95
Nutter5932Big blind £0.50£0.75£57.50
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

ratedRKORaise £2.00£2.75£48.68
LOL_RAISECall £2.00£4.75£63.04
ProPlayer Fold    
stienCall £1.75£6.50£48.20
Nutter5932Fold    
Flop

• Q
  • K
  • Q

stienCheck    
ratedRKOBet £4.00£10.50£44.68
LOL_RAISECall £4.00£14.50£59.04
stienFold    
Turn

ratedRKOCheck    
LOL_RAISEBet £8.00£22.50£51.04
ratedRKOCall £8.00£30.50£36.68
River

ratedRKOCheck    
LOL_RAISEBet £37.50£68.00£13.54
ratedRKOFold    
LOL_RAISEMuck    
LOL_RAISEWin £28.97 £42.51
LOL_RAISEReturn £37.50

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I think you need to find out what the other guy is holding

A check to re raise on the turn would give you good info (he pushes he has a Q, calls K or Q, or folds)
    Or maybe bet out on the river being prepared to fold to a re raise?

Other than that I think you did well to put down the bullets

• edited March 2011
    First of all your check on the turn does give him the chance to bluff, so that is a possibility. However, the overbet on the river suggests a strong hand, like you said, it's either a Q/fullhouse or a bluff, he's never playing a K this way or a lower PP. 

To answer your Q, firing the turn is debatable but I'd probably fire out half pot, keep control of the pot whilst not giving much opportunity for the opponent to bluff without committing himself, not firing the turn allows hands such as J10 or drawing hands an opportunity to bluff. As played, I would also fold the river. 

• edited March 2011
    if you are willing to call the turn why arent you betting it?

if you bet turn then you can get away from reraise or price out draws and Kx hands.

as played fold river
  • edited March 2011
    pretty gross spot against this villain, when you check the turn he will put you on AA or Ak, im torn between checking or betting the flop, when you bet then check you can pick up bluffs on the turn but when he sets you in on 5th i would just give it up, if it was heads up on the flop i might play it this way and look him up on the end if i had evidence he was capable of this play but it can get a bit spewy lol
  • edited March 2011
    lol raise always has massive stacks he can't possibly ever bluff.

People with big stacks don't bluff

;)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: played too passive??:
    lol raise always has massive stacks he can't possibly ever bluff. People with big stacks don't bluff ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    yeah its pretty sick, when he sticks the op in on 5th he prolly dosnt expect him to call the way the hand played out so you would expect him to bet smaller to get some value from AA or Ak , how would you play the Aces here Dohhh?

also the turn bet looks suspicious like hes setting up a good size bluff bet on the end lol
  • edited March 2011

I don't know because I never sit and play against good players.

At my level, I'd pretty much know I was beat once I check the turn and he bets.

Prob wud call that 1 bet tho coz I can't fold, then c/f the river if I miss my 1 outer ;)

Sometimes they'll have floated me on the flop, and turned 88/99 into a bluff on the turn, then they give up on the river too, or make some pathetic stab at it, which I'd call off, but when they overbet like that it's always Qx minimum.

Lol raise is good tho, so got no idea what he's playing at here.
  • edited March 2011
    This sort of spot gives me a headache.

If it was HU I prob call.

But it was 3-way to the flop, and Lol calls the flop bet with a player still to act so he obviously has SOMETHING.

Does he call bets on the flop here with JT - I'm not sure. Smallish turn bet with  JT wouldn't make too much sense unless he thinks you've led out with air/underpair. 

How active have you been at the table? Active enough for Lol to take a flop in position with QT/QJ? Or quite quiet where he might just flat AQ against you?

It's a tough spot, looks like KQ to me tbh. Can't see him turning Kx into a bluff here, that'd be pretty sick. And the call on the flop when there was a chance for it to go 3-way looks mega strong.

Think you've played it fine tbh. 
  • edited March 2011
    lol at my turn sizing what hand id number is it?

• edited March 2011
    Overbet pot on river, bluff maybe?
  • edited March 2011
    lol at my turn sizing what hand id number is it?
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    hand id - 347535233 plz tell me what u had :-P

thanks for all the replys. i was kind of expecting to get crucified for playing the hand too passive, i do think i should be leading the turn here to be honest. have i not massively under represented my hand, making bluffs a bigger part of his range?

I look weak, his bet river bet looks odd - the way ive played the hand AA is at the very top of my range. overtime would a call not be profitable?
  • edited March 2011
    This sort of spot gives me a headache. If it was HU I prob call. But it was 3-way to the flop, and Lol calls the flop bet with a player still to act so he obviously has SOMETHING. Does he call bets on the flop here with JT - I'm not sure. Smallish turn bet with  JT wouldn't make too much sense unless he thinks you've led out with air/underpair.  How active have you been at the table? Active enough for Lol to take a flop in position with QT/QJ? Or quite quiet where he might just flat AQ against you? It's a tough spot, looks like KQ to me tbh. Can't see him turning Kx into a bluff here, that'd be pretty sick. And the call on the flop when there was a chance for it to go 3-way looks mega strong. Think you've played it fine tbh. 
    Posted by CLIOKID
    this was the reason i checked turn tbh
  • edited March 2011
    i remember this hand and i remember that as soon as i overbet the river i realised it was a pretty bad mistake

il go find the hh now
  • edited March 2011
    sigh im bad, i had a frush
  • edited March 2011
    sigh im bad, i had a frush
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    what did you put him on? was you going to fire the river if you didnt get there?
  • edited March 2011
    i might have valuebet really small on the river if i missed FD as i had KTdd
  • edited March 2011
    i might have valuebet really small on the river if i missed FD as i had KTdd
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    wouldnt it be better to bet smaller with the flush and shove the k 10?
  • edited March 2011
    Easy turn bet vs the recreational fish that called the flop, think he 1 tables mostly not seen his alias much - take him down!
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: played too passive?? : wouldnt it be better to bet smaller with the flush and shove the k 10?
    Posted by N1CK

i thought  KT was good on its own
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: played too passive?? : i thought  KT was good on its own
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    he was as good as that then lol