You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Rangers FTW!!!
  • edited March 2011
    Don't want to sound like a spoil-sport but does anyone actually care who does tbh? Even the teams left at this stage won't be too concerned if they get knocked out or win it, the priority is always to get into the Champions' League for them. Even if a team like Liverpool won it this year; if they finish outside the top four (which it seems very likely they will), it will still be considered a poor season for them even though they won a major European trophy - it just isn't rated now...
  • edited March 2011
    I care... A very much underrated tournament, but it can produce some great match ups rather the same old teams playing each other in the knockout stages of the champions league. The majority of teams play to full strength so to question whether they are bothered by it or not is redundant.

My punt would be on Benfica.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Who will win the Europa League?:
    I care... A very much underrated tournament, but it can produce some great match ups rather the same old teams playing each other in the knockout stages of the champions league. The majority of teams play to full strength so to question whether they are bothered by it or not is redundant. My punt would be on Benfica.
    Posted by Salad_Face
    Yeah when I Benfica played Everton last year I though they were outstanding and a big tip to win, but it wasn't to be for them and Athletico played well in the end to win it all. I watch the matches, I just sense with them that the players & coaches hearts are'nt truely in it.

Out of those that are left, I'll go with Villareal.
  • edited March 2011
    Don't want to sound like a spoil-sport but does anyone actually care who does tbh? Even the teams left at this stage won't be too concerned if they get knocked out or win it, the priority is always to get into the Champions' League for them. Even if a team like Liverpool won it this year; if they finish outside the top four (which it seems very likely they will), it will still be considered a poor season for them even though they won a major European trophy - it just isn't rated now...
    Posted by SALT1R3
    Not all teams are blessed with a history of regularly winning European trophies. For teams from the smaller nations the Europa League is a massive thing. I never thought i'd see us play in a Euro final in my lifetime but i did in 2008 and even though we lost, what an experience it was.
  • edited March 2011
    Champions' League has made the Europa League into the Carling Cup of Europe unfortunately. As a Liverpool fan, I would obviously like us to win it, but I can't admit to being too bothered if we don't. UEFA Cup used to be harder to win than the European Cup some years because the up and coming teams were in it. Now it is disregarded by the bigger teams because its generally the also rans and the teams that aren't good enough for the CL (scandalous that they get parachuted in btw) who get into the competition. Being in the Europa League is a constant reminder of failure the season before.
  • edited March 2011
    Id like to thing Rangers but i dont think we have the strenth in depth.

I think people saying this is a diddy competition are wrong. Teams like Rangers, Dimamo Kiev, Braga, Benfica, CSKA, Zenit infact about 80% of teams there are very unlikley to have a deep run in the champions league without a stroke of luck.

Therefore to these teams is huge, Obv to Liverpool and Man City its diddy, but thats because those guys get £35M a year before theyve sold a pie or a ticket. In these other nations we have to grind to get good players and earn money.

No offence sky, but youve destroyed football.
  • edited March 2011
    Id like to thing Rangers but i dont think we have the strenth in depth. I think people saying this is a diddy competition are wrong. Teams like Rangers, Dimamo Kiev, Braga, Benfica, CSKA, Zenit infact about 80% of teams there are very unlikley to have a deep run in the champions league without a stroke of luck. Therefore to these teams is huge, Obv to Liverpool and Man City its diddy, but thats because those guys get £35M a year before theyve sold a pie or a ticket. In these other nations we have to grind to get good players and earn money. No offence sky, but youve destroyed football.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I think that statements a tad harsh mate, yes the huge influx of money sky put into football to start it all off has had a lot of negative effects over the years, but I'd say the standard of football has gone up immensely in part due to it and as a product today its far more appealing than what it was back in the 80's and before imo.