You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Gary Johnson New Northampton Manager! NO LONGER!

edited November 2011 in The Football Corner
I am absolutely over the moon that he has been appointed. Good times ahead!

Up the Cobblers!!!

Comments

• edited October 2011
    ** BUMP **

How young, stupid and naive was I!!!!!

• edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Gary Johnson New Northampton Manager!:
    ** BUMP ** How young, stupid and naive was I!!!!!
    Posted by splashies
    could have been worse you could have given sven "I won one italian championship about 20 years ago and done F all since" ericson loads of money and he could sign a load of overpaid has beens and never beens and pay them 30k a week.
  • edited October 2011
    ** BUMP ** How young, stupid and naive was I!!!!!
    Posted by splashies
    it could be worse you could have done your nuts on backing them and leicester towin their leagues
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Gary Johnson New Northampton Manager! : it could be worse you could have done your nuts on backing them and leicester towin their leagues
    Posted by BADBOY985
    lol!

At the minute we can barely win a throw-in, let alone win the league.

Ah well, you live, you learn eh!

Bring on next season!
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Gary Johnson New Northampton Manager! : lol! At the minute we can barely win a throw-in, let alone win the league. Ah well, you live, you learn eh! Bring on next season!
    Posted by splashies
    in the words of proffessor brian cox "things can only get better!"
  • edited October 2011
    Avram Grant's available ;)

Seriously though, it looks like it's gonna be a right struggle down there for you this season. 
  • edited November 2011
    Could be good news on its way in t'morning!

Quite a few rumours that he has been sacked. Including a certain poster on our fans forum, who is believed to be Gary Johnson's brother, starting a new thread "Bye".

And wrote this message...

"It's been fun, kind of.

Signing off.

X"

So il be getting up extra early and switching on SSN, actually i'll prob hear it first on twitter.
  • edited November 2011
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

It happened!
  • edited November 2011
    Thought you might be pleased with the news.

Dr Death is still available though ;)
  • edited November 2011
    Thought you might be pleased with the news. Dr Death is still available though ;)
    Posted by silentbob
    No thanks!

Colin Calderwood is the odds on favourite. He opened at 16/1 and is now 8/11 last time i checked.

But tbf this price probably only reflects the amount of our fans who have put money on him because they want him to come back and get us promoted like he did last time.

I wouldn't mind having him back. We kept a club record number of clean sheets in our last promotion season with him, so he'll certainly make us more solid.

Would love Sean O'Driscoll, but no chance he'll come to us really.

I wouldn't mind seeing an up and coming guy from non-league Gateshead, Ian Bogie, who is doing one hell of a job there.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Gary Johnson New Northampton Manager! : No thanks! Colin Calderwood is the odds on favourite. He opened at 16/1 and is now 8/11 last time i checked. But tbf this price probably only reflects the amount of our fans who have put money on him because they want him to come back and get us promoted like he did last time. I wouldn't mind having him back. We kept a club record number of clean sheets in our last promotion season with him, so he'll certainly make us more solid. Would love Sean O'Driscoll, but no chance he'll come to us really. I wouldn't mind seeing an up and coming guy from non-league Gateshead, Ian Bogie, who is doing one hell of a job there.
    Posted by splashies
    t'snot gonna happen
  • edited November 2011
    Nicky Forster 1/6 to be next manager.

Im undecided on whether this will be good.

I'd still prefer Calderwood back, he's drifted to 5/2 now.
  • edited November 2011
    Splashies, as a Leicester fan who also confidently put money on Leicester and Northampton to win their leagues only to see things, how shall we put it...not go according to plan (!) I hope you get the new manager you want.

After the muppets we were linked with after Sven's departure, I'm delighted Pearson's back and have got my rose coloured glasses firmly back in place and think we'll be up towards the top again fairly soon - hope you are too!
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Gary Johnson New Northampton Manager! NO LONGER!:
    Splashies, as a Leicester fan who also confidently put money on Leicester and Northampton to win their leagues only to see things, how shall we put it...not go according to plan (!) I hope you get the new manager you want. After the muppets we were linked with after Sven's departure, I'm delighted Pearson's back and have got my rose coloured glasses firmly back in place and think we'll be up towards the top again fairly soon - hope you are too!
    Posted by Brrrrrrr
    yeh good to see Pearson back with you.

Anyone we get will be better than Gary Johnson. I've still get a bet on both of us to win promotion. We are currently 13 points off playoffs so the new manager will need a fast start :)
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Gary Johnson New Northampton Manager! NO LONGER! : yeh good to see Pearson back with you. Anyone we get will be better than Gary Johnson. I've still get a bet on both of us to win promotion. We are currently 13 points off playoffs so the new manager will need a fast start :)
    Posted by splashies
    I think he's gonna need a lot more than that bud! What the hell happened today?
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Gary Johnson New Northampton Manager! NO LONGER! : I think he's gonna need a lot more than that bud! What the hell happened today?
    Posted by silentbob
    Today was just typical of how of season has gone (although even more exagerrated), we started pretty well. They scored a fluked 25 deflected yarder and before we knew it, we were 3-0 down through poor defending.

Came out 2nd half and absolutely battered them for 15 minutes, managed to pull a goal back. We carried on piling forward but then hit on the break (several times) and hence the 7-2 result.

Tbf, Shrewsbury are the best team iv seen this season in League 2.

• edited November 2011
    Calderwood couldnt even take a good Hibs side and win games. Insisted on selling half their players. I know he has a good record at Northampton and wish the best to him, but i really dont think that its a great idea taking him on atm.
  • edited November 2011
    Calderwood couldnt even take a good Hibs side and win games. Insisted on selling half their players. I know he has a good record at Northampton and wish the best to him, but i really dont think that its a great idea taking him on atm.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I think Calderwood is now pretty much nailed on to be Chris Hughton's No.2 at Birmingham.

Looks like its gonna be Nicky Forster for us, which will hopefully turn out well.
  • edited November 2011
    All change again. It seems like its a 4 horse race now.

Nicky Forster 11/8
    Eoin Jess 11/8
    Marcus Law 15/8
    Aidy Boothroyd 3/1
  • edited November 2011
    Eion Jess good player in his time dont know about his Backroom career though.

Aidy Boothroyd has to be a good shout. Dont know about the other 2 tho.
  • edited November 2011
    Eion Jess good player in his time dont know about his Backroom career though. Aidy Boothroyd has to be a good shout. Dont know about the other 2 tho.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Yeh we had him in our 2005 promotion winning team. Quite a few people are bigging him up to be a decent manager. If he does get the job, then he'll probably work with an experienced director of football. This is the set-up we had last time we were successful with Calderwood/Deehan.
  • edited November 2011
    Aidy Boothroyd 2/1 and SEAN O'DRISCOLL 9/4

Please be the latter!!!!!!!
  • edited November 2011
    Eion Jess has to be a good manager imo. Some of the manager he learned from Jim Jefferies as a noteable one being one of the best Scottish managers in the last 20 years, obv over-shadowed by the sucsess of Walter Smith and Alex Fergusson. But i rekon very few have done better with Smaller clubs and smaller budgets.

Do you know much on Sean O'Driscoll so i can state an opinion please?
  • edited November 2011
    O'Driscoll would do a cracking job if you get him. I still can't understand why Donny got rid of him tbh.
  • edited November 2011
    O'Driscoll would do a cracking job if you get him. I still can't understand why Donny got rid of him tbh.
    Posted by silentbob
    I'm gobsmacked that he's even considering joining us.
  • edited November 2011
    Ive heard he is having talks with Burnley as Howe is about to leave,I think you will do well getting him but Nicky forster has also been mentioned.You watch you will get the worlds worst manager ever(paul hart).Tbh Ronnie moore would be my choice
  • edited November 2011
    Ridic if S.O.D ends up in League 2. 

Spose it would give me a glimer of hope of my promotion acca coming in, Leeds and Sheff Utd both gonna be in contention, just Northampton letting me down atm!!!

Took a tip from an un-tested source at the start of the season that they were a dead cert...

Cobblers?

....NO IT'S TRUE !!!
  • edited November 2011

Saw the earlier post listing Marcus Law as a possible contender for the Northampton job. I first came across him when he was manager of Evo-Stik side Quorn and since then he has been successful with Barwell in the Midland Alliance which led him to land the Kettering job before he joined Tamworth where he is now in the Conference.
    I imagine it must be his success with a pretty poor Kettering team which has put him on the radar of the Northampton hierachy. It would be a bold move to appoint him, but it would be nice to see a non-league manaher given a chance to join the Football League managerial merry-go-round.

• edited November 2011
    Saw the earlier post listing Marcus Law as a possible contender for the Northampton job. I first came across him when he was manager of Evo-Stik side Quorn and since then he has been successful with Barwell in the Midland Alliance which led him to land the Kettering job before he joined Tamworth where he is now in the Conference. I imagine it must be his success with a pretty poor Kettering team which has put him on the radar of the Northampton hierachy. It would be a bold move to appoint him, but it would be nice to see a non-league manaher given a chance to join the Football League managerial merry-go-round.
    Posted by Brrrrrrr
    Yeh think his work at Kettering was noted by our chairman. If he gets the job then he will almost certainly work with a director of football.

We should hopefully know sometime next week, although the chairman says he still has got 10 people on his shortlist...not exactly a shortlist is it!!
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Gary Johnson New Northampton Manager! NO LONGER! : Yeh think his work at Kettering was noted by our chairman. If he gets the job then he will almost certainly work with a director of football. We should hopefully know sometime next week, although the chairman says he still has got 10 people on his shortlist...not exactly a shortlist is it!!
    Posted by splashies
    only 10. my shortlist for a new striker on FM is 35 players long