You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Razz Hands - and how to play them

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat
SkyPoker really should introduce Stud, Razz and HORSE tournaments to the schedule. 

3 key tips to consider for Razz tournaments. 

1. Don't chase hopeless draws.
If it looks like you're opponent might beat you - even if you hit - just fold. 

2. Don't assume other people are bluffing.
If it looks like they're beating you, they probably are - so fold.  

3. If in doubt - fold.
The default option for any reasonably good Razz player should always be to fold. 

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Rough Guide to Stud Poker
    1. Stud is like Holdem except everybody has their own board instead of a shared one
    2. It's usually limit but sometimes pot limit.
    2. You start with 3 cards instead of 2 (2 down one up) - this is the first betting round
    3. The 4th, 5th and 6th cards are the next 3 betting rounds and are all dealt face up to each person who hasn't folded.
    4. The 7th card is dealt face down and is the last betting round.

Rough Guide to Razz Poker
    1. It's like Stud poker except the lowest hand wins.
    2. Ace counts as low (i.e. as 1)
    3. Straights and flushes do not exist in the razz hand rankings (i.e. A2345 - where the suits are irrelevant - is the best hand in razz)
  • edited March 2011
    The more games the better I say, but going by the popularity of Hi-Lo, the uptake of new games is very slow.  Omaha seems slightly more popular.  As far as I'm concerned playing different forms of poker can only help improve your all round game. 
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Razz Hands - and how to play them:
    SkyPoker really should introduce Stud, Razz and HORSE tournaments to the schedule.  3 key tips to consider for Razz tournaments.  1. Don't chase hopeless draws . If it looks like you're opponent might beat you - even if you hit - just fold.  2. Don't assume other people are bluffing . If it looks like they're beating you, they probably are - so fold.   3. If in doubt - fold . The default option for any reasonably good Razz player should always be to fold. 
    Posted by BelovedLtd
    The three most important things in Razz (and all limit stud games IMO) is starting hand, starting hand and starting hand.

Try and nick the antes with a door ace against weak up cards, that's fine.  But if you plan to make a big pot you must have three cards at the very least 8 and under (I would tighten this to 7 & under with two between A & 4) and not have a lot of the cards you need as other people's up cards.  Strong starting hands is the only way to win at limit Razz in the long term.
  • edited March 2011
    An addendum to TommyD's point about stealing - until you've seen people play a few hands it's probably not worth doing this early on in a tournament.

For a start the antes are so low that the pot you're trying to steal is barely worth it, but mainly for 2 other reasons.

1. Early on it's very cheap to call your bet, so a lot of players won't mind speculating.
    2. There are a LOT of very bad razz players around, they will call your bet because they don't know they've got bad cards or because they don't even know the rules of razz (almost every tournament I've played online - I've seen at least one player who has played it like stud and not realised the low hand wins). Some players are SO bad that I can't even work out what their thought patterns are.

Towards the mid and late stages of the tournament the very bad players have been weeded out - leaving the very good, the good and the mediocre.

When you try a steal now the mediocre players will take it at face value and let you have the (significantly larger) pot, the good players will know you're stealing but will have a pretty good idea that fighting back against it can cause them problems.

The very good players will take your chips off you when you try and steal - but there are so few of them you probably don't need to worry about that possibility.

Overall TommyD's point about waiting for strong starting hands ties in well with 67Bhoys point about different forms of poker teaching you different things which cumulatively increase your poker skills in every variant. It is also the underlying theme of my initial 3 tips.

Razz teaches you patience.
  • edited March 2011
    The reason texas hold em is the most popular format, would be may i suggest because even a five year old can understand it very easily, and most recreational players like simple, with not too much brain calculating?
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Razz Hands - and how to play them:
    The reason texas hold em is the most popular format, would be may i suggest because even a five year old can understand it very easily, and most recreational players like simple, with not too much brain calculating?
    Posted by loonytoons
    Very much so.  To quite Fast Eddie Felson 'Checkers sells more than Chess.'
  • edited March 2011
    Wow a severn card thred on sky WOOW

I love this game and all what is said above is v good but the most inportant thing about this game is IF YOU CAN SEE THE CARDS YOU WANT it's time to lay it down.

DAI

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Razz Hands - and how to play them:
    Posted by loonytoons
    It's not just the simplicity though.

A lot of people playing NLHE are just extending their gambling habits into poker this way, they're playing it for the buzz and the thrill.

The stud based games are more of an academic excercise and something to play for the challenge rather than the excitement.

Razz is definitely not for adrenaline junkies :D