You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Newbie looking for help

Just looking for a little help with this hand.

I know I went wrong at the begging first of all I shouldnt have even been playing 8-9 suited (cant help but wanna see a flop with this hand) and secondly if i am gonig to raise need to do much more than the min.

But can anyone tlak me through what i did after the flop? should I have known what he ahd after the first call? I put him on a hand like A Q

Hope this hand posts correclty

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
newts09 Small blind  25.00 25.00 5675.00
lishaspop Big blind  50.00 75.00 2875.00
  Your hole cards

bloodboy Fold     
35suited Raise  100.00 175.00 6240.00
spurs568 Call  100.00 275.00 6125.00
terextc28 Fold     
newts09 Call  75.00 350.00 5600.00
lishaspop Fold     
Flop

• Q

newts09 Check     
35suited Bet  1950.00 2300.00 4290.00
spurs568 Fold     
newts09 Call  1950.00 4250.00 3650.00
Turn

newts09 Check     
35suited All-in  4290.00 8540.00 0.00
newts09 All-in  3650.00 12190.00 0.00
River

newts09 Show
  • J

35suited Show

newts09 Win Straight to the Queen 11550.00  11550.00
35suited Win Two Pairs, 9s and 8s 640.00  640.00

Comments

• edited September 2009
    Personally I don't mind the way you've played the hand apart from on the flop. Raising with 98s isn't too bad, especially as it keeps your opponents on their toes. I'd raise 2.5x rather than minimum, but that's a taste thing. The only down side is that you're doing it from a little early position wise.

Flop comes massive for you. Flopping two pair vs. a straight is just a bit chilly, and you've got outs to the boat even if they have JT (as was the case here). However, I do think you go wrong with the bet size on the flop - 5.5x pot is a mistake as it leaves you committed to the hand no matter what they do themselves.

If you bet say 275 into 350 and you get flat called, you can then fire another bet of say 900 on the turn and should they raise you, you're able to get away from the hand for a total of 1175 (275+900), which is obviously much less than the 1950 you put out there on the flop in this hand. Whether you want to get away from the hand is another matter - personally I stick it in and if I've been cold decked, sobeit. At least playing the hand this way gives you the chance to get out of jail.

Another down side is that your bet might scare off hands that you want some business from. Imagine you're on the other side of the hand and you have something like QT. You have top pair and a gutshot, but do you want to commit your stack with that hand? The answer on the whole will be yes, especially considering the fast structures on Sky Poker, but again puts your opponent in a tricky spot.

Preflop: fine. Flop: nasty. Turn: a natural result of the flop play.

Just my 2p worth. Better luck next time :)
  • edited September 2009
    At 25 - 50 blinds I'm Raising more than this if im entering the pot, and not just min or even 3 times BB but prob 4 -5 times bb as the low relation of blinds to stacks is dificult to push out marginal hands on 3 x bb. I'm prob not entering this pot at all though unles it's going multi way. (as you said this is a mistake you already recognise) I may limp into the multi way pot to try and hit a monster. After your in though it's the flop bet that is the main problem.

I think you need to look at your bet of 1950 on the flop into a 350 chip pot. At most here you want to make it pot sized then if re-raised you can try to place your opponent on a hand or range. Looking at the way it was played and the texture of the flop you would see that a min raise would allow in not only Q - 8 and Q - 9 but also any suited connectors which includes J 10 and a small pair for set mining (22,33 up to maybe 66 & 77). Any pair higher than this and i think he's re-raising pre flop. 

I Don't think you can put him on A Q here because he is def re-raising pre flop if that is what he holds. That limits your range to connectors, a small pair for set mining or the higher 2 pair with Q - 9 or Q - 8. If you bet the pot and he's holding a small pair that has not hit it's set then he's folding, or if his connectors are low and have not made him the up and down then i think he is gone as well. With J 10 he is either going to Smooth call you or re-raise you (both of which should make you smell a rat).

Once the 7 hits the turn then your push is trying to take down the pot there and then but i don't think you have considered what your opponent could be holding properly (something a lot of us are guilty of in the small amount of time you have to make your decisions when playing online). you now know that Q - 7, Q - 8, Q - 9, J - 10, 10 - 6 & 5 - 6 have you crushed. as does a pocket pair of 7's ( 8's and 9's also but much less likley due to you holding one of each and the flop having one of each). So thats a minimum of 7 hands that beat you and they are all within your customers range as you have min bet pre flop letting exactly these hands in.

When you say you think he has A - Q do you have any thought process behind this or are you just convincing yourself he has it to justify the push????

This is a good hand to anylise as it has a lot of scope for thought processes to be explained. These are mine and you may or may not agree with them but that is the joy of forum hand discussions. you will get to see a lot of points of view on the same thing and pick out the best advice you can. Some (or maybe even most) people will not agree with my analysis but that all just adds to the amount of info you can learn from.

My Advice: in a nutshell my advice is to always go through your thought process not the result. After playing pre-flop you were always going to lose chips in this pot but you could have limited the amount you lost by asking a question on the flop (but one you can afford to listen to the answer to) and then check calling it down to kepp the pot small. you over inflated the pot on the fop and then desperation forced you to try and take it down on the turn. Good Luck and remember it's all a learning curve - Keep playing and I'm sure we will meet soon on the Virtual Felt
  • edited September 2009
    Hi,
    I agree with Dave, your bet on the flop was so big you are only going to get called by a big hand, or a nutter who doesnt understand pot odds.
    When he called your post flop bet, i would have checked and possibly only called the turn and river.
    I am a tight player and would have just put a post flop bet of 350, as Dave has said and would be able to put it down.
    One final thought, if a player, i dont know very well, check calls a big bet like that i have a tendancy to believe them, as it was a lot to call for a gutshot, so i would put them on a straight or poss set. I may be wrong but at least i have maintained my chipstack for a later spot.
    col
  • edited September 2009
    Thanks you 3 for your detailed replies, will have to read over them 2 or 3 times to take it all in, but thanks again

Gareth
  • edited September 2009
    No problem at all - keep asking questions and you'll keep getting answers. I can't guarantee what quality of answers... :P
  • edited September 2009
    Happy to offer an opinion. Going through other peoples hands is a great way to work through your own thought process and poss recognise leaks in your own game. There interesting to pick apart and look at the variations your read of the situations as well. Have a read through all the hand breakdowns on the forum and you will glean lots of info you put to good use (i know i have). Including exactly how the opponents you will playing against on Sky poker think (invaluble information lol) - :)
  • edited September 2009
    You completely overbet the flop. You needed to make the bet large enough that a random J or T wouldn't chase, yet you wanted a KQ or AQ to run you down. I think 500 would meet these criteria.
    By betting 1950, you're saying: if you have TJ or a set, then take my money. If you have nothing then I won't win a dime off you.