You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

overpair vs set

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi

I played a hand where i had jacks, they guy i played against had 66 and hit a set on the flop. I ended up doubling him up. But any advice of anything i could have done different would be helpful. The hand is below: (i have blocked out the guys name, but i had not played him much seem quite patient, though not super tight - had an broadish range)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancetopdog186Small blind £0.05£0.05£5.51nat1Big blind £0.10£0.15£3.56 Your hole cardsJJ   PITBOTTOMFold    hamster880Raise £0.40£0.55£32.48jenarsFold    WALLY212Fold    topdog186Call £0.35£0.90£5.16XXXXCall £0.30£1.20£3.26Flop  6107   topdog186Check    XXXXXXBet £0.80£2.00£2.46hamster880Raise £3.60£5.60£28.88topdog186Fold    XXXXXAll-in £2.46£8.06£0.00hamster880Unmatched bet £0.34£7.72£29.22XXXXXShow66   hamster880ShowJJ   Turn  A   River  5   XXXXWinThree 6s£7.14 £7.14

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Played fine. Especially against a short stacker, you always have to double them up, even if they are deeper it would be very difficult to get away.

Just a cooler. 

This will happen to you many, many, many times in your poker life, just take it on the chin.
  • edited March 2011
    Hi thanks for the response.  Do you think it plays differently against a larger stack, cos i had similar hand my kk vs tens (tens hit a set) and lost all my chip of the flop. He raised and then i re-raised all in.. In this situation do think a bit of pot control against this opponent might be better. cheers
  • edited March 2011
    Situations like this are hard to get away from, and the majority of the time you are in the lead with your over pair.
    I think the only way you can play this is by pot controlling, however this does minimalise your winnings when you have the best hand.
    It's up to you, personally I'd rather win a big pot 80+% of the time and take a bad beat on the chin the other times. For cash this certainly rings true, as this play will be profitable in the long term. DYMs on the other hand may give you a chance to fold if the bubble is close and you are safe to cash.
    Depends on your game type as well as your personal views.

Hope this helps