You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Getting over a string of bad beats

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I have been enjoying tournament play over the last few weeks on various sites but unfortunately every one I haven't made the money andlasted between 2 1/2 hrs to 3 hours .

I have looked at my hand history and tried to improve . The last 6 tournaments I have been between 85 to 93 % % favourite to win the hand and lose. The last hand I had a pair of QQ and the flop came WITH A RAINBOW FLOP Q85 . I shoved all in with 10,000 chips and got called with a guy will 12,000 chips . He had 9, 4 suited and ended up getting the straight . Any advice on how to get over a bad run of bad beats. I was going to give it up for a few weeks and try again .

Any advice .

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Taking a break from poker can be good, especially if you feel the bad beats are affecting your game or generally making you stressed or moody.
    However if you are getting in situations where you are 85% favourite then I think you are playing a good game, and variance should even out the bad beats, so based on this you should keep playing.
    Maybe try cash games, because in a tournament a bad beat like this means game over, but in a cash game you can just rebuy and get yourself in another 85% spot, and most likely win your money back.

Hope this helps

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Getting over a string of bad beats:
    Taking a break from poker can be good, especially if you feel the bad beats are affecting your game or generally making you stressed or moody. However if you are getting in situations where you are 85% favourite then I think you are playing a good game, and variance should even out the bad beats, so based on this you should keep playing. Maybe try cash games, because in a tournament a bad beat like this means game over, but in a cash game you can just rebuy and get yourself in another 85% spot, and most likely win your money back. Hope this helps 7
    Posted by SevenChips
    Thank you for your advice
  • edited March 2011
    Have a moan and get things off your chest in area 51. It happens to us all, knowing your not alone helps.