You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omaha Hi-Lo - better to try, & fail, than not try........

2»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    We have a winner:
    Name 07:25 07:55 08:25 09:25   Total Entries
    SolarCarro 2   1 10   3 3
    tikay1 1 3 6 4   4 4
    alexis74 7   2     9 2
    Direwolf   4   7   11 2
    GREGHOGG 3 14 8 11   11 4
    EdGiddins   11 14 1   12 3
    penguin7 9 5 19 15   14 4
    MereNovice 17 6 9 18   15 4
    dylan12 8   26 9   17 3
    LEON1 14   5     19 2
    SUPERNOVA     17 3   20 2
    TommyD 12 8 29 13   20 4
    mabsue 10 13 25 14   23 4
    DAIBOOT 16 9       25 2
    hawk7112 15   13     28 2
    Darntootin 6   27 27   33 3
    county 13     21   34 2
    tiggertoo     15 20   35 2
    sydn3y     22 22   44 2
    BANDICOOT     23 23   46 2
    leroy73607     24 24   48 2
    debdobs_67     28 28   56 2
    taylorb895     30 30   60 2
    Geth1927     31 31   62 2
    nanlinda     32 32   64 2
    1864     33 33   66 2
    You can cash the "kudos" in by reminding everybody at the next SPT that you humiliated Tikay (by one point) in a PLO8 tournament.
    Congratulations to SolarCarro.
  • edited March 2011
    Wow what a night in Hi Lo !!

A first and a second!!

Big thanks to TK for this and big boost to me for my live game of round of each Omaha/Holdem tomorrow night at Fox (also won the buy in for entry tonight!)

Dave
  • edited March 2011

Very well done, Dave, you thoroughly deserved it.

I don't have to hand how many played in each Tourney, but given that I only put the thread up late afternoon, & football was on the TV, I think it was a pretty tidy turnout.

Many thanks to all who played tonight.

Thanks also to MereNovice for giving up another evening to manage, produce & Post the Spreadsheets, & thanks to Penguin too, for nagging me to do this.

WP all.

Tomorrow, it's my PTP evening, anyone with any special requests, let me know, but it will be mainly Hold Em tomorrow, as there are two tikay Tourneys, & the Double Stack.

Night all.
  • edited March 2011
    The final table:
    Name 07:25 07:55 08:25 09:25   Total
    SolarCarro 2   1 10   3
    tikay1 1 3 6 4   4
    alexis74 7   2     9
    Direwolf   4   7   11
    GREGHOGG 3 14 8 11   11
    EdGiddins   11 14 1   12
    penguin7 9 5 19 15   14
    MereNovice 17 6 9 18   15
    dylan12 8   26 9   17
    LEON1 14   5     19
    SUPERNOVA     17 3   20
    TommyD 12 8 29 13   20
    mabsue 10 13 25 14   23
    DAIBOOT 16 9       25
    hawk7112 15   13     28
    Darntootin 6   27 27   33
    county 13     21   34
    tiggertoo     15 20   35
    sydn3y     22 22   44
    BANDICOOT     23 23   46
    leroy73607     24 24   48
    debdobs_67     28 28   56
    taylorb895     30 30   60
    Geth1927     31 31   62
    nanlinda     32 32   64
    1864     33 33   66
  • edited March 2011
    Well done Tikay and Solar, sorry that should be Solar and Tikay ! Thoroughly enjoyable even if I didnt play very well.

Also to Alexis in third place, I had a marathon heads up with him at the end of a little tourny this afternoon and couldnt put him away. I guessed he might do well tonight.

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hi-Lo - better to try, & fail, than not try........:
    Well done Tikay and Solar, sorry that should be Solar and Tikay ! Thoroughly enjoyable even if I didnt play very well. Also to Alexis in third place, I had a marathon heads up with him at the end of a little tourny this afternoon and couldnt put him away. I guessed he might do well tonight.
    Posted by penguin7
    Cheers Tony - congrats on Primo

Alexis74 is a phenomenal hiLo player, he was short stacked many times and like you say is a brute to get rid of heads up, I was lucky to get the cards!

Big thanks to MereNovice for the kudos chart.......now where's that manbag.....
  • edited March 2011
    This Game is designed to let you win a hand, and then have to give half of it away to someone with rubbish 
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hi-Lo - better to try, & fail, than not try........ : Cheers Tony - congrats on Primo Alexis74 is a phenomenal hiLo player, he was short stacked many times and like you say is a brute to get rid of heads up, I was lucky to get the cards! Big thanks to MereNovice for the kudos chart.......now where's that manbag.....
    Posted by SolarCarro
    Kind words, especially from someone officially one better than Tikay. A first and second in such a quality field is pretty conclusive though. 
    Would be great if this could be repeated particularly if I can avoid being brutalised by Greghogg next time.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hi-Lo - better to try, & fail, than not try........ : Kind words, especially from someone officially one better than Tikay. A first and second in such a quality field is pretty conclusive though.  Would be great if this could be repeated particularly if I can avoid being brutalised by Greghogg next time.
    Posted by alexis74
    Hi Alex,

I'm more than happy to repeat the exercise, & I'm delighted you enjoyed it.

In total, we mustered 84 runners - I was pretty pleased with that!

Well played, too.
  • edited March 2011
    This Game is designed to let you win a hand, and then have to give half of it away to someone with rubbish 
    Posted by Mod_JockBM
    .....or, viewed another way, you can win a hand with complete rubbish, & a guy with a good hand gets half the pot!

I'm sorry I could not respond much in the Chat Box last night, it was clear you were struggling a bit, but I had 4 Tables pipping & popping, & I was struggling to cope with this & that.

The game is full of wonderful nuances, so different to Texas. Often, in Texas, we want to protect our hand, but in Hi-Lo, in a multi-way Pot, there are numerous examples of where we are DESPERATE to try & KEEP all the players in the pot, if we can work out who is going for the Hi & who is going for the Lo, because we are printing money. Not pound notes, ten bob notes, but if 3 players want to fight over the Lo for ten bob, & I can have all those ten bobs for my High.....

Next time you are at an SPT, we'll set up some fun Hi-Lo Tables, & I'll show you the easiest way in the world to learn the huge differences between Omaha, & Texas.
  • edited March 2011
    Next time you are at an SPT, we'll set up some fun Hi-Lo Tables, & I'll show you the easiest way in the world to learn the huge differences between Omaha, & Texas.
    Posted by Tikay10

I would be more than happy to do that at Luton if the interest is there. Folks are always more than welcome to come and ask some questions about Omaha Hi-Lo with me if they want - I LOVE the game, and while I might not be an absolute wizard at it, I think I know my way around enough to share some views on it :)

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hi-Lo - better to try, & fail, than not try........ : .....or, viewed another way, you can win a hand with complete rubbish, & a guy with a good hand gets half the pot! I'm sorry I could not respond much in the Chat Box last night, it was clear you were struggling a bit, but I had 4 Tables pipping & popping, & I was struggling to cope with this & that. The game is full of wonderful nuances, so different to Texas. Often, in Texas, we want to protect our hand, but in Hi-Lo, in a multi-way Pot, there are numerous examples of where we are DESPERATE to try & KEEP all the players in the pot, if we can work out who is going for the Hi & who is going for the Lo, because we are printing money. Not pound notes, ten bob notes, but if 3 players want to fight over the Lo for ten bob, & I can have all those ten bobs for my High.....   Next time you are at an SPT, we'll set up some fun Hi-Lo Tables, & I'll show you the easiest way in the world to learn the huge differences between Omaha, & Texas.
    Posted by Tikay10

Absolutely no problem Tony,  I played for a bit of a laugh to see what it was all about.  As you say there is a lot more to it that normal Omaha.  Just cant get my head around when I can have a low hand. ;o)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hi-Lo - better to try, & fail, than not try........ : Absolutely no problem Tony,  I played for a bit of a laugh to see what it was all about.  As you say there is a lot more to it that normal Omaha.  Just cant get my head around when I can have a low hand. ;o)
    Posted by JockBMW
    Simples.

Any five different cards, 8 or under, two of which MUST BE IN YOUR HAND. So three of the 5 on the Board.

Forget straights, pairs, flushes, two pairs, trips, full-houses, NONE OF THEM COUNT.

It's just 5 cards, of different values, eight or less, 2 of which must be in your hand.

How do we know if there is a "qualifying low"?

There MUST be THREE non-pairing cards of 8 or under on the board, & then you will need 2 non-pairing, & different, "8 or less" cards in your hand. 

All the above is for the LOW ONLY (50% of the Pot) - assuming there is a Low.

When you play Omaha Hi-Lo, you are playing two different games, for two different pots. Assuming there is a qualifying low. The Low hand does not conform to the normal rules of poker, i.e,, no straight, flushes, trips, etc. 

If you have A-2-3-4-5, then your HIGH HAND is "the wheel", which is a straight. It may not be enough to win the high, though.

You will also have A-2-3-4-5 for the Nut Low Pot - but it is NOT A STRAIGHT IN THE LOW HAND. It's just "the wheel", or the Nut Low.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hi-Lo - better to try, & fail, than not try........ : Simples. Any five different cards, 8 or under, two of which MUST BE IN YOUR HAND. So three of the 5 on the Board. Forget straights, pairs, flushes, two pairs, trips, full-houses, NONE OF THEM COUNT. It's just 5 cards, of different values, eight or less, 2 of which must be in your hand. How do we know if there is a "qualifying low"? There MUST be THREE non-pairing cards of 8 or under on the board, & then you will need 2 non-pairing, & different, "8 or less" cards in your hand.  All the above is for the LOW ONLY (50% of the Pot) - assuming there is a Low. When you play Omaha Hi-Lo, you are playing two different games, for two different pots. Assuming there is a qualifying low. The Low hand does not conform to the normal rules of poker, i.e,, no straight, flushes, trips, etc.  If you have A-2-3-4-5, then your HIGH HAND is "the wheel", which is a straight. It may not be enough to win the high, though. You will also have A-2-3-4-5 for the Nut Low Pot - but it is NOT A STRAIGHT IN THE LOW HAND. It's just "the wheel", or the Nut Low.
    Posted by Tikay10
    not played much myself as this was something I had always struggled with too so thanks for that Tikay
  • edited March 2011
    n Response to Re: Omaha Hi-Lo - better to try, & fail, than not try........:
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hi-Lo - better to try, & fail, than not try........ : Cheers Tony - congrats on Primo Alexis74 is a phenomenal hiLo player, he was short stacked many times and like you say is a brute to get rid of heads up, I was lucky to get the cards! Big thanks to MereNovice for the kudos chart.......now where's that manbag.....
    Posted by SolarCarro
    Well done Dave great result.

I still think you should burn Tikay's manbag tho ;))))
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hi-Lo - better to try, & fail, than not try........ : I would be more than happy to do that at Luton if the interest is there. Folks are always more than welcome to come and ask some questions about Omaha Hi-Lo with me if they want - I LOVE the game, and while I might not be an absolute wizard at it, I think I know my way around enough to share some views on it :)
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    3 hour SnG's FTW.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Omaha Hi-Lo - better to try, & fail, than not try........ : 6 hour SnG's FTW.
    Posted by Machka
    FYP.... You know, what with all the chopped pots, quartering, counterfeited A-2s leading to mucho confusion. I love that game.