You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

stoopid bluff attempt?

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
headz up against v good/aggro opponent. (yep i know hes a pro-but wanted to test myself) had been a very sick aggro game, loads of 3/4bettin pre its not unlikely i have a 7 or a 3 here with the way game had been going and its also not unlikely i flat call his 3bet/call flop with premium starting hand. but i guess its also not unlikely i call pre/float flop with air either lol. the shove on the turn was suppost to look bluffy (obv i woz bluffin)- but it looks that bluffy it shud come across as super strong?? it wasnt a snap call by him anyway! but as it turns out good call by him? extremly bad bluff by me? should i just get my coat lol?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceratedRKO Small blind  £1.00 £1.00 £420.40 lJAMESl Big blind  £2.00 £3.00 £436.00   Your hole cards Q 5       ratedRKO Raise  £5.00 £8.00 £415.40 lJAMESl Raise  £22.00 £30.00 £414.00 ratedRKO Call  £18.00 £48.00 £397.40 Flop    7 7 3       lJAMESl Bet  £36.00 £84.00 £378.00 ratedRKO Call  £36.00 £120.00 £361.40 Turn    3       lJAMESl Bet  £60.00 £180.00 £318.00 ratedRKO All-in  £361.40 £541.40 £0.00 lJAMESl Call  £301.40 £842.80 £16.60 ratedRKO Show Q 5    lJAMESl Show 9 9    River    A       lJAMESl Win Two Pairs, 9s and 7s £841.80

Comments

• edited March 2011
    if it looks like a bluff, im gonna call. Youre just levelling yourself thinking 'it looks that bluffy it has to be strong', unless ofc youve created that image over the course of the match.
  • edited March 2011
    Remember that his perception of the play is based on his perception of you- without being rude, he doesn't know you like he would the other top players, and if you don't believe you're yet on the level he is (which is what your post indicates?) he's unlikely to take into account you thinking that deeply about the play, and go with his instinct that it's a clean bluff. Not only that, double paired board HU means you could easily be doing this with any hand, knowing that calling is incredibly tough without a 7 or 3 in your hand. 

You can only really make this bluffy looking hand if you actually HAVE the goods, and want him to believe you don't. In which case you are very likely to get paid (see BrownDog at SPT blackpool- flopped nut house with 56 on 556 board- jammed on his opponent, got called by a bare 5). That kind of jam reeks of weakness and is going to get paid mostly if your opponent has anything worth calling with. The players that *might* get away with this are the guys like James/Lolu etc who have already built their reputation amongst the other top players, and they all know this weapon is in their arsenal.

All that being said, fair play to you for having the balls to take on james, and take him on at his own game, because I sure wouldn't in a month of sundays.
  • edited March 2011
    Imagine taking this line with 10's and getting the call from 99 (or 88)

Bet you wish you had flatted/raised small, then you could jam that ACE otr!!!!!

• edited March 2011
    yea the thing is when your IP vs an aggro guy with the board absolutely crushed, overbet jamming doesnt make any sense, floating turn and jamming river is much much much better
  • edited March 2011

In Response to Re: stoopid bluff attempt?:

Remember that his perception of the play is based on his perception of you- without being rude, he doesn't know you like he would the other top players, and if you don't believe you're yet on the level he is (which is what your post indicates?) he's unlikely to take into account you thinking that deeply about the play, and go with his instinct that it's a clean bluff. Not only that, double paired board HU means you could easily be doing this with any hand, knowing that calling is incredibly tough without a 7 or 3 in your hand.  You can only really make this bluffy looking hand if you actually HAVE the goods, and want him to believe you don't. In which case you are very likely to get paid (see BrownDog at SPT blackpool- flopped nut house with 56 on 556 board- jammed on his opponent, got called by a bare 5). That kind of jam reeks of weakness and is going to get paid mostly if your opponent has anything worth calling with. The players that *might* get away with this are the guys like James/Lolu etc who have already built their reputation amongst the other top players, and they all know this weapon is in their arsenal. All that being said, fair play to you for having the balls to take on james, and take him on at his own game, because I sure wouldn't in a month of sundays.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    as wierd as it sounds this is the reason y i did shove - it looks so weak, it should be crazy strong right?. but as offshoot said i guess im just levelling myself with this type of thinkin.

nice post btw, cheers