You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Biggest ever single hand loss, any way to win/minimize loss?

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Playing £5/£10 live last night. 7 handed table NLH.

Am sat with £2200ish.  Two larger stack in the 4k range and the rest were sat around £800 - £1500.  I'd been the tightest player at the table, but had been getting alot of credit for 3 bets pre and opening bets on the flop.

Standard raise to £30 UTG with 89s, 3 calls, one of which is the SB.  Pot stands at £130

Qs7s10h.  Big flop for me.  If no one else holds 2 big spades I'm sat at 17 outs for 75%, the other 25% spread pretty thin between 3 opponents. 

SB opens for £95.  I always like to take my time so weigh it up then re raise to £430 to commit a set or over pair to the board seat 5 calls very oddly (sat with around 4k) as does the opener.  Putting myself up against a set and a draw, as long as its not the higher spade draw, either hand doesnt change to much.

Pot stands at £1420, I have arond £1750 - £1800 left.  Turn  Qs7s10h8c.

Not the card I was really looking for, but I'd already decided that if the SB opened again I'd have to jam, based on pot odds and remaining stack. 

SB opens for £950, with around £2600 behind, other guy has around £3400.  Feel they both have enough to fold to the the allin, plus if I get the call I still have 9 spades, 8 straightners and 5 two pairs.  22 outs at the turn, 49% (if i am up against the set I have to shave off 8 outs leaving me in the 31% range),

£2370 in the pot with £1750 in my stack, with £950 to call.  Seems a pretty easy decision to me.  Mull it over jam, knowing I'm going to get credit for being stronger than I am, but with alot of insuance going to the river.  Guy on my left goes allin over the top, SB folds.  Caller shows QKo, I miss, yuk.

Normally I play this hand a bit slower, but with the SB opening each street, I have to take control and raise, with the table image I have.  At the turn the pot has built to such a size in relation to my stack and outs that I dont think I can really fold, yet I have too much to re raise all in on the flop, but far too much equity to think about folding.

Really interested in opinions.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    On the turn you have zero fold equity.  If you had the same stack as the SB then I like the jam, but he bets 950 and you have less than a min raise behind.

If you do wanna see a river then just flat.  The pot will be so big, that even if a card like the 6s falls then he will be pot stuck and will have to pay off your last 800 or so.  If you miss then you will save 800.

But personally given his bigish lead on the turn, I would just fold here.
  • edited March 2011
    i would probably be opening to 5x UTG in deep live games i think flop is fine but like scotty said on the turn he is never ever folding after you go all in he will have to call 800 into a pot of around £4k

we are getting 2.5:1 on the turn so we need ~28% equity to call which we probably do have

btw you only have 15 outs on the flop you have 9 flush cards and 6 straight cards (2 of your straight cards gve you a flush) which is slightly over 50% equity

• edited March 2011
    yep 17 not 15.  I knew that in the hand but didnt scale them off here.  Yeah the turn was tricky, the opener had been leading out strong on draws all night, then folding to any opposition.  There was a slight chance he'd fold but perhaps folding was the best choice there.  I think I fell in love with my odds slightly but I was getting the right price.  I guess I forgot how badly I draw :p

Its funny If my stack had of been smaller on the flop its an easy jam.  If my image had of been looser I'd of just called on the flop and tried to make my hand cheaper, but combination of table image and how the opener had been playing made it the right plays.  The re raise on flop should have squeezed out the KQ, given how tight I'd played  he was more than good enough to fold - however I'd just doubled through him AA vs JJ (may have had an influence.)  Then its me and SB to the turn, seat 5's £430 doesnt go in on the flop, making SB's turn opening bet greatly reduced, giving him fold equity when I shove the turn. 

I have a very painfully accurate memory :)  Turned £700 profit on evil roulette, so only had a marginal loss on the vening in the end (sat down with £1000.  Think I'm going to stay home tonight and sulk about the big miss :p
  • edited March 2011
    Agree with the above posters as to it being hugely unlikely you have fold equity here with all but  a mn-raise left on the turn.

Also not mad keen on the flop raise, lots of draws can have us crushed here and are we really going to like calling off our stack if we get jammed on?

(I'd posted out a longer reply than this before but it failed to post properly and can't be bothered doing it again.)
  • edited March 2011
    yeah hands like JK/A5s of spades had me very concerned.  But trust me, if you'd played with these guys as long as I have you'd feel quit comfortable discarding these hands.  Based upon the action in context with the table I made a decision that the straight or flush would have been good against the two opponents and proceeded from there.  The guy holding KQ, would definately have played a drawy nut hand very differently and the SB had been opening strong weak and folding constantly.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Biggest ever single hand loss, any way to win/minimize loss?:
    yeah hands like JK/A5s of spades had me very concerned.  But trust me, if you'd played with these guys as long as I have you'd feel quit comfortable discarding these hands.  Based upon the action in context with the table I made a decision that the straight or flush would have been good against the two opponents and proceeded from there.  The guy holding KQ, would definately have played a drawy nut hand very differently and the SB had been opening strong weak and folding constantly.
    Posted by AMYBR
    It's probably fine to do this with reads but how happy do you feel if the guy behind jams on you?
  • edited March 2011
    Qs7s10h.  Big flop for me.  If no one else holds 2 big spades I'm sat at 17 outs for 75%, the other 25% spread pretty thin between 3 opponents.

You made an incorrect calculation here, which led you into the £430 raise that effectively pot-committed you. You were more like 52% or much less against Axs or Kxs. I would play this more cautiously, calling the flop for pot control and certainly saving that extra £800 on the turn, where you made another miscalculation of odds (you could have been as low as 7 outs for the spades with no pair, or 6 outs for the straight).

These stakes are too hot for my taste though.
  • edited March 2011
    Mmmm.. good question.  If I stick to my read its an obvious call, but I never act quickly, so I'd pick the hand apart from beginning to end then make a final decision.  If he does jam the flop, with having £1800 behind with effectively £3200 in the pot (when he puts me in) i need to hit the 55% which I'm significantly higher than.  If I've got my Gus hansen hat on I call, If I've got my protect my winnings hat on I hate it but fold I think.  If I put him on a higher spade draw then its an easy fold as my hand is ash. 

But that hand, that set up, that table: I think I call.  He knows I like to protect my winnings, I'd give him credit for putting me on the draw knowing that I may decide to release without a made hand.

I really really, wanted that pot!! :)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Biggest ever single hand loss, any way to win/minimize loss?:
    Qs7s10h.  Big flop for me.  If no one else holds 2 big spades I'm sat at 17 outs for 75%, the other 25% spread pretty thin between 3 opponents. You made an incorrect calculation here, which led you into the £430 raise that effectively pot-committed you. You were more like 52% or much less against Axs or Kxs. I would play this more cautiously, calling the flop for pot control and certainly saving that extra £800 on the turn, where you made another miscalculation of odds (you could have been as low as 7 outs for the spades with no pair, or 6 outs for the straight). These stakes are too hot for my taste though.
    Posted by BigBluster

yeah I went in to this bud.  Given the knowledge of these two players and the contextual action I discounted those hands off the flop.
  • edited March 2011
    After a bit more time thinking over this hand I've decided that I should have re popped lower on the flop.  I think I was looking for one of them to jam with the £430.  If I make it around £250 the hand plays out differently.

But as I've said above, given the action at the table I'm pretty sure it was the right bet at the time, just incase I dont make my hand - my image and the SB opening strong folding so frequently to resistance had the best shot at winning the hand then and there.  Tricky one really, I just leave myself in a mess at the turn with the £430 bet.  But I was honestly expecting 1 jam or two folds.

Control is the defining element of my game, hence the re raise on flop and turn.  But the pot had built to such a size at the turn in relation to my stack and associated odds that I left myself very little room to move.

Thanks for the feedback.