You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Straight and Flush Draws and Trips on the Flop

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
How far should you push open ended straight, flush draws and trips from the flop?

I've lost a fair bit of money playing these scenarios. Its so tempting to chase right through to the river, but is this the right thing to do?

I've played these in a veriaty of ways, slow playing with minimal bets, aggesively with big bets and shoving all in. However I never seem to get anything out of it. I always seem to get called and then end up get done on the turn or the river.

What's frustrating is that when I'm playing, say two pair of KQ on the flop and other people are chasing they always seem to hit.

As an example on a 50p/£1 table I went all in on the turn with trip 7s for a pretty big pot and got called by a fella chasing a gut shot which he hit on the river. This seems to keep happening to me at the moment and its making me want to take a break from poker. I love playing but I'm getting a bit peed off.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    If you're ahead when the money goes in, wp.

If you're behind when the money goes in but were getting correct odds to call, wp.

If you're behind when the money goes in and weren't getting correct odds, not wp.

Draws are kinda board and villain dependant, and whether you're HU or multiway, whether you have overcards in addition (QJ on a T93 board is much bigger than QJ on a KT3 board, for example)- a huge part of their value is in the fold equity, and the disguised nature that if you bet and then the draw comes in, you're less likely to be put on a drawing hand than calling. 

My personal preference (and this just means a general play, don't make anything a habit to do 100% of the time) is to check-raise with it, and plan to fold to an allin shove- unless stacks are short enough that you're getting the correct odds to make the call. If it's folded round to you, betting is perfectly worthwhile- the draw diminishes a lot in value once the turn misses you.

Just don't be afraid to fold them once in a while- just because it's a big draw, doesn't mean you should jam over a raise and a reraise unless it's an OESD+fl draw.