You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Improving cash play

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Recently I've been reading and learning from Harrington, and trying to work on restructuring my cash approach, and trying to use the slightly more conservative approach to big hands.

Villain is new to table- on the flop, KK has good showdown as well as the gutshot too- ordinarily I would c-bet this mostly and carry on representing the A, but as Harrington would say- small hand, small pot- if I bet, I'm essentially turning a solid hand with a moderate draw into a bluff, since if I get raised I have no business being in the hand. In position I probably bet out, opinions on the flop? My c-bet frequency so far had been pretty high, villain may have seen me c-bet once or twice since arriving.

After seeing his check, I put a feeler bet out to see what was happening. The call tells me one of two things, I think- he has an A, or he just picked up a flush draw.

Based on that, when I see the flush on the river I have one of two choices- attempt to rep it, or check with intention of folding. If he has the flush he's never folding, if he has the A he's still unlikely to fold I think- but did I give up on the kings a little too cheaply?

I think I'm probably beat, and how I would normally play I lose a lot more money, just curious how people find this approach.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
dogcharlie Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £19.70
blueberr27 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £20.17
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

DeucesLive Raise   £0.60 £0.90 £37.69
MJX Fold        
xxxx Call   £0.60 £1.50 £15.74
blackbeltb Fold        
dogcharlie Fold        
blueberr27 Fold        
Flop

• A
  • Q

DeucesLive Check        
xxxx Check        
Turn

DeucesLive Bet   £0.80 £2.30 £36.89
xxxx Call   £0.80 £3.10 £14.94
River

DeucesLive Check        
xxxx Bet   £1.55 £4.65 £13.39
DeucesLive Fold        

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I'd probably bet £1.20 on flop and shut down once called.
  • edited March 2011
    Another hand soon after- again with the conservative strategy, I decided against raising pre with the KQ, and possibly getting myself involved in a hand multiway which could easily be dominated, and not liking many flops.

Having got involved, flop looks great- but again, I stuck with a conservative approach until someone massively overbet the pot. Easy fold, or call/raise? I felt the hand was too vulnerable on that board personally, but is it worth seeing a little more? Villain had hardly been involved in any hands, but I did see him make one big overbet previously- never saw the end result, though.
    DeucesLive Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £40.15
    MJX Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £15.68
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • K

Mollymoo06 Call   £0.20 £0.50 £18.86
    blackbeltb Fold        
    xxxx Call   £0.20 £0.70 £20.11
    blueberr27 Fold        
    DeucesLive Call   £0.10 £0.80 £40.05
    MJX Check        
    Flop

• J
    • Q

DeucesLive Check        
    MJX Check        
    Mollymoo06 Check        
    xxxx Bet   £2.00 £2.80 £18.11
    DeucesLive Fold  
  • edited March 2011
    first hand i cbet flop and then give up, might possibly bet the river for value very small to get Qx Tx to call but i think flop is definately a  valuebet
  • edited March 2011
    2nd hand, dead money in the middle why wouldn't you raise pre? Again I don't play cash but this is just a standard 5x after two limpers right, then c-bet top pair flop ?
  • edited March 2011
    What do you think about the approach of checking and controlling the pot- I mean, how many hands call you on the flop that you're beating? I mean, I suppose you get value from KQ/QJ, but if he then chooses to semi-bluff raise there, how happy are you with the hand? Obviously if he's missed completely he folds, but how many cards on the turn change the situation from you being ahead to behind? I was planning on calling a street if he chose to bet the flop, but being out of position made the whole hand a lot harder to play.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Improving cash play:
    2nd hand, dead money in the middle why wouldn't you raise pre? Again I don't play cash but this is just a standard 5x after two limpers right, then c-bet top pair flop ?
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    KQ out of the SB is a tricky hand to play and is not a definite raise IMO.

It's fine dependant on reads on the limpers if you know they are limping worse K's and Q's etc. 

I don't mind making up with this occassionally.

• edited March 2011
    In a tourny with limpers KQ in SB is a definite raise.  Not true in cash though.
  • edited March 2011
    In a tourney (assuming we're past say the 75/150 stage and I'm anything under 25bbs) I jam with KQ in this spot almost 100% of the time, definitely. I know it looks like dead money in the middle, but people will very often defend their limps quite vigorously, and I don't really want to inflate a pot which is likely to be at least 3-way on the flop and I'm very likely to be behind. In position I would take a different line and almost definitely raise, but being first to act on a multiway flop is almost always going to be a nightmare unless I flop trips or better.

This flop looks pretty decent for my hand, but multiway it looks extremely dangerous which is why I took the line of checking and looking for some info- my thought was that although there's a possibility I'm ahead, it's probably not by much- the flop has hit the limpers range hard, and I'm very likely to be behind now to a two pair combo, possibly even the made straight. With only 20p invested, I decided it's probably safest to just duck out of the way now before things get too aggro- I don't want to call his bet and essentially chase the J, since that's the only card in the deck really helping me, and I certainly can't warrant raising and getting myself pot stuck.

Is any of this line of thought flawed at this level? Should I be giving up this quickly- sure, it's top pair and very strong kicker, but it just seems to be dominated by too many hands for me to really feel any confidence in it.
  • edited March 2011
    Why does a jack help you in the second hand ?
  • edited March 2011
    10 sorry, I forgot the board- I thought it was Q109, same difference. I'm calling looking for a gutshot was what I meant, the 2 pair is worthless and trips may be good, but could easily end up costing me a massive pot.
  • edited March 2011
    KQ is a super auto iso raise in the SB vs limpers
  • edited March 2011
    Another thing I've been experimenting with recently- the overbet shove to represent a missed draw holding the nuts. Wondering on opinions on this? Would it have worked better if I flat the turn, or if I'm going to raise- raise the flop? I flatted on the flop since I was getting such good odds, but felt I had to put some money in the pot on the turn to set up the river play. At a guess, he was on the flush draw himself and I was never getting any more anyway, so maybe a smaller bet induces the bluff? Will this play be profitable over time in spots like this?
    fishman402 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £20.57
    DeucesLive Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £31.78
    scottp86 Big blind   £0.20 £0.50 £2.80
      Your hole cards

xxxx Raise   £0.40 £0.90 £14.22
    scottp86 Fold        
    Ubbi4820 Fold        
    bustout44 Fold        
    fishman402 Call   £0.30 £1.20 £20.27
    DeucesLive Call   £0.20 £1.40 £31.58
    Flop

• A

fishman402 Bet   £0.20 £1.60 £20.07
    DeucesLive Call   £0.20 £1.80 £31.38
    xxxx Raise   £0.40 £2.20 £13.82
    fishman402 Call   £0.20 £2.40 £19.87
    DeucesLive Call   £0.20 £2.60 £31.18
    Turn

fishman402 Check        
    DeucesLive Check        
    xxxx Bet   £0.80 £3.40 £13.02
    fishman402 Fold        
    DeucesLive Raise   £2.20 £5.60 £28.98
    xxxx Call   £1.40 £7.00 £11.62
    River

DeucesLive All-in   £28.98 £35.98 £0.00
    xxxx Fold        
    DeucesLive Muck        
    DeucesLive Win   £6.65   £6.65
    DeucesLive Return   £28.98 £0.35 £35.63
  • edited March 2011
    I don't like it tbh.

What sort of hand is he flatting the turn with that he is prepared to call river shove with?
  • edited March 2011
    Another one- this time with a pp over the board. The limp reraise pre instantly set alarm bells ringing, but I'd been raising about 15 hands per orbit, so there is a possibility he would play back at me with anything. In poisition I felt flatting was the best play, but if I'm out of position, should I 3 bet fold here? Or even in position, should I 3 bet fold/call?

On the flop after the check, again looks pretty painless but he put a little dwell up before calling, and again I had concerns- possible set of 8's, or still the overpair- course, overcards are still very possible or A8 at a push. After the check on the turn I decided to check behind and see what he did- if he was on a bluff, he's going away, and if he has me crushed I'm now committed to calling off.

On the river he checks again, and this is the major decision now- do I valuebet? If I do, how many hands call me that I beat? Possibly A8 and definitely 99, but I can't think of many more. If he has checked a monster (I have a very aggressive rep at the table so far) then again, I'm pot stuck. So is checking behind acceptable here or possibly missing out on value?
    SHANKS474 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £19.63
    SJspanky1 Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £12.02
    killeen45 Sit out        
      Your hole cards

tallula959 Fold        
    xxxx Call   £0.20 £0.50 £12.94
    DeucesLive Raise   £0.80 £1.30 £65.44
    SHANKS474 Fold        
    SJspanky1 Fold        
    xxxx Raise   £1.20 £2.50 £11.74
    DeucesLive Call   £0.60 £3.10 £64.84
    Flop

xxxx Check        
    DeucesLive Bet   £2.20 £5.30 £62.64
    xxxx Call   £2.20 £7.50 £9.54
    Turn

xxxx Check        
    DeucesLive Check        
    River

xxxx Check        
    DeucesLive Check        

• edited March 2011
    Oh, and the overbet- I put him on a relatively strong ace, and hoping he'd believe I was drawing to the flush, and missed- figuring I wouldn't bet with a nut hand. I don't think he was a particularly strong player, and there wasn't a really obvious straight there, so a half decent ace would be strong there.

Of course, I think he was drawing to the flush himself, so I doubt I was getting anything more this time anyway, but my logic was it's better to bet huge and get called on the rare occasions he does have something, than bet small and most likely get no action apart from on those occasions anyway.

I'll often vbet normally there, but been trying this move once or twice and it does seem to get paid off more than you'd expect so far.
  • edited March 2011
    Your thinking about hands that can call are from a tight persons point of view.

His line is pretty weird. Its defo a bet on river. Id bet turn aswell. I'm pretty sure he has AK AQ, tho. Thats why i'd bet turn. He might call a bet on the river the way you played with Ace high, thinking you have nothing.  Especially as you said you have an aggressive image.

After you check the turn, he will not check the river with a very good hand (sets, over pairs) because you are going to check behind a lot.
  • edited March 2011
    i prefer overbetting between 1 and 2 times the pot, if its much bigger then they just arent going to be calling enough of the time without history between you two
  • edited March 2011
    Last cash hand for today.

Still have a hugely aggressive tendency, and bet out on every flop whether hit or not- felt this one is right in his range, so went for the check on flop, left the turn as well to give him room to bluff river.

Went for the value bet on river, and got called by a slowplayed set which obviously got cold feet on the river- think that was a very poor bet on my part, is there anything here that calls me which isn't beating me?
    SHANKS474 Small blind   £0.10 £0.10 £17.00
    scrumdown Big blind   £0.20 £0.30 £20.72
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q

tallula959 Fold        
    min6max12 Fold        
    grump Call   £0.20 £0.50 £41.01
    DeucesLive Raise   £0.80 £1.30 £86.58
    xxxx Call   £0.70 £2.00 £16.30
    scrumdown Fold        
    grump Fold        
    Flop

xxxx Check        
    DeucesLive Check        
    Turn

• Q

xxxx Check        
    DeucesLive Check        
    River

xxxx Check        
    DeucesLive Bet   £1.00 £3.00 £85.58
    xxxx Call   £1.00 £4.00 £15.30
    DeucesLive Show
    • K
    • Q

xxxx Show

xxxx Win Three 6s £3.80   £19.10
  • edited March 2011
    bet the turn yourself river is kinda thin but i dont hate it
  • edited March 2011
    Hand 5 -bet turn check river, just surprising he played a set that passively. 

Hand 3, the over bet ... the thing is you weren't repping the flush the whole way through the hand, you wouldn't flat the flop bet and then decide to raise the turn with a flush draw / the over bet isn't ideal it's so obvious you have a massive hand, and with you only investing a small amount into the pot and then you shove, it makes no sense. 

Hand 2 (KQ SB) - I'm the opposite to RogueCell, in a tournament i'm making up all day long, in cash i'm raising all day long, but then again i prefer an aggressive approach to cash, making up isnt the worst play.

Pocket 10's .. pre/flop and turn fine .. I'd probably value bet £3 though on the river .. you will get called with worst hands and he can't have played JJ,QQ,KK or AA that passively surely. 

Most important thing in cash is to maximise your profits, if you think you have the winning hand bet it! Also, at this limit, people limping in are going to be limping in with small PP / speculative hands which 75% of the time will completely miss the flop and you can take it down with a C bet, also, don't be scared to fire a 2nd barrel, more and more these days i see people ''floating'' the flop, and then a standard bet on the turn gets it done. 

• edited March 2011
    Playing 40nl, fairly ABC while I adjust to the table and new limit, but decided to try an adventurous play. Obviously I'm crushed by the end, and the cards are kinda awful obviously, the pure intent was to represent a big hand. Paired flop tends to be a nice one to bluff at, but others know that too- should I have shut down then? Based on the fact he may have floated, I went for the second barrel, then the flat call tells me he either has a J he's not happy with, or he has the goods. Fire the third barrel or not? I think it forces any J and possibly ace to fold, or am I perhaps giving too much credit? Is the hand not believeable?

norris966 Small blind   £0.20 £0.20 £35.73
    ujkucakran Big blind   £0.40 £0.60 £36.82
      Your hole cards

Ozzie08 Fold        
    mattbald26 Call   £0.40 £1.00 £33.80
    Goldtia Fold        
    DeucesLive Raise   £1.60 £2.60 £53.87
    norris966 Fold        
    ujkucakran Fold        
    mattbald26 Call   £1.20 £3.80 £32.60
    Flop

• J

mattbald26 Check        
    DeucesLive Bet   £2.40 £6.20 £51.47
    mattbald26 Call   £2.40 £8.60 £30.20
    Turn

• A

mattbald26 Check        
    DeucesLive Bet   £6.00 £14.60 £45.47
    mattbald26 Call   £6.00 £20.60 £24.20
    River

mattbald26 Check        
    DeucesLive Bet   £12.00 £32.60 £33.47
    mattbald26 Raise   £24.00 £56.60 £0.20
    DeucesLive Fold        
    mattbald26 Muck        
    mattbald26 Win   £42.80   £43.00
    mattbald26 Return   £12.00 £1.80 £55.00
  • edited March 2011
    someone who is limp calling pre is not thinking 'oh look a paired board thats good to bluff at so im going to float OOP and take it away later'

fold pre obv.
  • edited March 2011
    someone who is limp calling pre is not thinking 'oh look a paired board thats good to bluff at so im going to float OOP and take it away later' fold pre obv.
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    haha this!

doing what you did is fairly awful.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Improving cash play : haha this! doing what you did is fairly awful.
    Posted by pryce6
    this has to be the understatement of the year,

if i could think of a word stronger than diabolical i would be definitely using it
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Improving cash play : this has to be the understatement of the year, if i could think of a word stronger than diabolical i would be definitely using it
    Posted by N1CK

super-diabolical?
  • edited March 2011
    lolll gotta throw in a curveball once in a while, keeps things interesting :D

whether or not it impacted I'll never know, but around half an hour later I stacked someone at the same table with a hand that played out almost identically, only I held the nuts this time and he called away with top pair no kicker. Future investment ftw ^^
  • edited March 2011
    Flopped a massive draw- bet sizing about right? Was aiming for somewhere in the region of 2/3 to 3/4, would that be about right?

Having missed the draw, should I then just shut down and hand over the pot or make an attempt on the river?
    Goingbust2 Small blind
    £0.25 £0.25 £98.20
    Spad3s Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £57.50
      Your hole cards
    • K

carpinon Fold        
    Snakeey747 Fold        
    DeucesLive Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £76.87
    Goingbust2 Call   £1.25 £3.50 £96.95
    Spad3s Call   £1.00 £4.50 £56.50
    Flop

• Q
    • A

Goingbust2 Check        
    Spad3s Check        
    DeucesLive Bet   £3.00 £7.50 £73.87
    Goingbust2 Call   £3.00 £10.50 £93.95
    Spad3s Fold        
    Turn

Goingbust2 Check        
    DeucesLive Bet   £7.50 £18.00 £66.37
    Goingbust2 Call   £7.50 £25.50 £86.45
    River

Goingbust2 Check        
    DeucesLive ?
  • edited March 2011
    lolll gotta throw in a curveball once in a while, keeps things interesting :D whether or not it impacted I'll never know, but around half an hour later I stacked someone at the same table with a hand that played out almost identically, only I held the nuts this time and he called away with top pair no kicker. Future investment ftw ^^
    Posted by DeucesLive
    Deuces you dont need to create an image as they already know your a fish thats why they are all sitting at your table  ;-)
  • edited March 2011
    I did wonder why there were 8 people on the waiting list for my table...
  • edited March 2011
    haha

Re last hand, i'd bet like 17ish and expect him to fold :)