You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Satelites to BIG events...

edited September 2009 in Poker Chat
Seeing that the WSOP-E is abou to get underway and the english poker open is also in full swing, it has made me think of the question i hear alot on here... why dont we have satelites to big live events (as well as the WSOP)

Obviously they can only put these satelites up if there is enough demand, bearing in mind the GUKPT buyins are around £1000 therefore probably the main finals would have to be £100 buyin (obviously there would be smaller buyins to get into that). The english poker open was a $5000+ buyin, etc etc... How many of us would play these, i know i would. If we get a big demand then we can take this to the heads of skypoker and show that there is demand for it.

Comments

• edited September 2009

hi charles i would be deffo interested in small buy in satalites as i do play a lot of sats here so i have voted yes & have subscribed to see what happens good luck & great thread m8 michael
  • edited September 2009
    Hi guys, great idea BUT... I know that another site is affiliated with the WSOPE and I think (correct me if I am wrong) does the exclusive satelliting in for this event. Maybe this is the case too for the EPO? the WSOP is bigger and seems that all sites sat in to this. I also think - not sure I am correct, but! - that blsq has the rights for the sats into the GUKPT?

Correct me if I am wrong with the above, but would seem to be logical.
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Satelites to BIG events...:
    Hi guys, great idea BUT... I know that another site is affiliated with the WSOPE and I think (correct me if I am wrong) does the exclusive satelliting in for this event. Maybe this is the case too for the EPO? the WSOP is bigger and seems that all sites sat in to this. I also think - not sure I am correct, but! - that blsq has the rights for the sats into the GUKPT? Correct me if I am wrong with the above, but would seem to be logical.
    Posted by Grimstar30
    oh p.s. i'm all for the idea of gettign into other events via Sky! just not sure the suits want to get into bed with one tourney over another.
  • edited September 2009
    Hi guys, great idea BUT... I know that another site is affiliated with the WSOPE and I think (correct me if I am wrong) does the exclusive satelliting in for this event. Maybe this is the case too for the EPO? the WSOP is bigger and seems that all sites sat in to this. I also think - not sure I am correct, but! - that blsq has the rights for the sats into the GUKPT? Correct me if I am wrong with the above, but would seem to be logical.
    Posted by Grimstar30
     This may be the case.. I only used those as examples TBH, But if we get a good response (looking good so far) then we can look into it more.
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Satelites to BIG events... :  This may be the case.. I only used those as examples TBH, But if we get a good response (looking good so far) then we can look into it more.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Agreed that it would be great Charles, just not sure its going to happen until Sky poker gets bigger.
  • edited September 2009
    Im not sure how it works, I thought a site came along and said, ok i want to buy say 10 seats to your tournament, and then they give them away through satelites.. but i would love it if sky looked into it
  • edited September 2009

how about a sat into 1 of the APAT events as i watch in poker all the time (sky+helps) & tikay is chairman(which could help) of apat so there could be a bit of support there also there are people here who play in apat online league every 2 weeks on a sunday so they would( maybe) support it (i myself have joined a team tho i have not yet played) and it could be just the thing for skypoker's next step in there young poker life which will always be ever changing
     michael
  • edited September 2009
    I think APAT events can only be satelited in from blue square. + the demand is so high for seats they sell out within minutes i dont think its possible
  • edited September 2009

WITHOUT A DOUBT ID PLAY
  • edited September 2009
    I think APAT events can only be satelited in from blue square. + the demand is so high for seats they sell out within minutes i dont think its possible
    Posted by FlashFlush

i agree charles thats how it is at the moment but there are changes happening all the time take sky poker they are going through a change process at present which will no doubt take a bit of time for people to get used to so instead of doing it all at once they do a bit at a time so even though it don't look like much its actually a lot count the changes they have made since they started they all add up to 1 final goal which would have been put in place months before they started after loads of research  so i do think it is possible and here's why if i can convert 16 threads into 3 threads as my 3 months learning the basics of poker has finished & i'm on me next level of my poker journey(my 1st post is on there now) & i acheived all this in 48 hours (read post) then i truely beleive it can be done m8 just gonna take a bit of time i think a bit of patience is needed here michael

• edited September 2009
    Im not sure how it works, I thought a site came along and said, ok i want to buy say 10 seats to your tournament, and then they give them away through satelites.. but i would love it if sky looked into it
    Posted by FlashFlush

charles i will send you a PM on how it could be done m8 after the weekend dt
  • edited September 2009
    I think it would be a great idea.
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Satelites to BIG events... :    i agree charles thats how it is at the moment but there are changes happening all the time take sky poker they are going through a change process at present which will no doubt take a bit of time for people to get used to so instead of doing it all at once they do a bit at a time so even though it don't look like much its actually a lot count the changes they have made since they started they all add up to 1 final goal which would have been put in place months before they started after loads of research  so i do think it is possible and here's why if i can convert 16 threads into 3 threads as my 3 months learning the basics of poker has finished & i'm on me next level of my poker journey(my 1st post is on there now) & i acheived all this in 48 hours (read post) then i truely beleive it can be done m8 just gonna take a bit of time i think a bit of patience is needed here michael      
    Posted by DTWBANDIT
     No i mean APAT will only allow satelites from bluesquare,
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Satelites to BIG events... :  No i mean APAT will only allow satelites from bluesquare,
    Posted by FlashFlush

i know m8 i've sent you a PM to expain michael
  • edited September 2009
    Posted by Grimstar30
    Hi
    Your right Dave, about other sites having the exclusive satelittes straight into certain events, but if it is an open comp,i think there is no reason why Sky cannot have a satelitte into events and then pay us to play them(like a sponsored player if you like).
    col
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Satelites to BIG events... :  No i mean APAT will only allow satelites from bluesquare,
    Posted by FlashFlush
    and I think this is what happens with certain other events at the moment. Exclusivity.  Tk mentioned in another threat that Greg Raymer is not playing the WSOPE as its sponsored by betfair and he is a stars player. It is all very complicated.
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Satelites to BIG events... : Hi Your right Dave, about other sites having the exclusive satelittes straight into certain events, but if it is an open comp,i think there is no reason why Sky cannot have a satelitte into events and then pay us to play them(like a sponsored player if you like). col
    Posted by mr_mbro
    Yes I see what you mean Colin. But are there really that many 'open' tournaments anymore? TK woud know the answer to that.
    APAT WSOPE EPO? GKUPT all maybe ruled out?

Getting complicated!
  • edited September 2009

Hi Guys,

MANY Live Events are sponsored by Online Sites.

The purpose of that - using the GUKPT as an example - is to get players to play on the Sponsors Cardroom.

So no, not that easy.

Ditto the WSOP-E, ditto the EPT, ditto the British Masters Poker Tour, etc. They are ALL headlined by various Online Rooms the whole idea being to drive traffic to those Rooms. So "buying a batch of Seats" is not usully do-able.

APAT? It has a Sponsor, & so that Sponsor holds Online Satellites on it's own Room. There is a big problm with APAT, in that everyone wants Seats for it, & there are no Venues with adequate Capacity, & when sold Online - as opposed to qualified for - all the Seats go in seconds. That's seconds, not minutes. APAT give such good value you see - grown-up structures, Added Value, & no Reg Fees for ANY Events - that's all unique to APAT.

There are "independent" Events that Sky Poker could, if they so desired, organise Satelites for, but it's for them to judge whether the demand is there yet. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't fancy there would be adequate demand - though with another years growth under their belt, yes, it will be do-able.

They - Sky Poker - also need to leave a little slack to ensure that if/when they hold another SPUKT Tour, the Players are not "satellited-out" by spending all their money qualifying for other Events.

All very complicated, these things are never as easy or as straightforward as they may seem at first glance.

But all things come to those who wait, & as Sky Poker grows & grows, who knows what may be possible?
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Satelites to BIG events... : Hi Your right Dave, about other sites having the exclusive satelittes straight into certain events, but if it is an open comp,i think there is no reason why Sky cannot have a satelitte into events and then pay us to play them(like a sponsored player if you like). col
    Posted by mr_mbro

hi col i think you are onto something there m8 that could make it happen in sport all athletes who want to acheieve need a sponsor doesn't matter what the sport is

so col, do any of the top poker players have sponsors ? if so how many ? also as i said to charles ( earlier post) i still beleive that apat would be the way forward for sat buy ins but it ain't gonna happen overnight at the very minium you would have to be online 3 years to build up a good following of players  plus even though its called sky poker and sky is a brand name its all about numbers & averages in order to get a sponsor you have to prove yourself over a period of time for an event to be sponsored by anyone there are other factors 2 consider then there's venue for the event etc its & the list gets bigger & bigger so its not easy but it can be done m8 michael
  • edited September 2009
    If other sites are affiliated to certain tours, why not just say, the winner will be awarded in a £1060 event of their choice, dropping no names etc.  There could be £10 into £100 into £1000 sats.

The credit could go to sky by maybe saying whoever wins the seat will wear sky branded clothing or something
  • edited September 2009
    Hi Guys, MANY Live Events are sponsored by Online Sites. The purpose of that - using the GUKPT as an example - is to get players to play on the Sponsors Cardroom. So no, not that easy. Ditto the WSOP-E, ditto the EPT, ditto the British Masters Poker Tour, etc. They are ALL headlined by various Online Rooms the whole idea being to drive traffic to those Rooms. So "buying a batch of Seats" is not usully do-able. APAT? It has a Sponsor, & so that Sponsor holds Online Satellites on it's own Room. There is a big problm with APAT, in that everyone wants Seats for it, & there are no Venues with adequate Capacity, & when sold Online - as opposed to qualified for - all the Seats go in seconds. That's seconds, not minutes. APAT give such good value you see - grown-up structures, Added Value, & no Reg Fees for ANY Events - that's all unique to APAT. There are "independent" Events that Sky Poker could, if they so desired, organise Satelites for, but it's for them to judge whether the demand is there yet. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't fancy there would be adequate demand - though with another years growth under their belt, yes, it will be do-able. They - Sky Poker - also need to leave a little slack to ensure that if/when they hold another SPUKT Tour, the Players are not "satellited-out" by spending all their money qualifying for other Events. All very complicated, these things are never as easy or as straightforward as they may seem at first glance. But all things come to those who wait, & as Sky Poker grows & grows, who knows what may be possible?
    Posted by Tikay10
     1st of all i didnt realise that if a site sponsered an event they had sole charge of online qualifiers...

2ndly This is why i started this thread, to see IF there is enough demand for it, so far i must say there has been a good respone.. admitadly the amount of "Yes's" if you look on a general scale is not alot, but thats only the players on this forum, there are others that dont use the forum that would be interested, i.e the higher staked cash players
  • edited September 2009
    Yes  Flash Great Idea,   when I went to Barcelona EPT, I won my seat through an independent being aloud to run the satellite on a bookmakers site ... Once the  6 seats were  won   the bookmakers then put one of their reps in charge and looked after the  6 of us over 4days ... 
    It really is a question of whether SKY  want to do it or not, there is no reason why anyone wanting a ticket cant get one ..   none of these events are a closed shop .. even though (bs) give that impression ..
    Another thing Sky give coverage and air-time to these events i'm sure the marketing people could do a deal for a few tickets if it felt the demand was there. 
    However  I don't think that's one  of the priorities at the moment with new software and a deep recession, it seems to me everything is on hold , don't forget the SPUKT and the WSOP could be in the pipeline and the reality is that's where SKYPOKER would get more feedback and profit from, by promoting those ..

glk  I agree  it would be great Idea

benny
  • edited September 2009
    In Response to Re: Satelites to BIG events... :  1st of all i didnt realise that if a site sponsered an event they had sole charge of online qualifiers... 2ndly This is why i started this thread, to see IF there is enough demand for it, so far i must say there has been a good respone.. admitadly the amount of "Yes's" if you look on a general scale is not alot, but thats only the players on this forum, there are others that dont use the forum that would be interested, i.e the higher staked cash players
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Yes, they absolutely do.

It's not unusual for them to allow Qualifiers to take place on other Sites, but it causes all sorts of complications.

• edited September 2009
    Just to bump this message up to the top for the suits to see :-)

As Tikay has pointed out there are only some events sky could do satelites for, not sure which these are but could be found with some research.

With such a strong percentage showing they would like to do these satelites, it shows how popular they would be. This is only the view of people who use the forum, there are many others that would play in them as well. For example none of the players that went to vegas for sky this year use the forums that often, and im sure they would be interested so thats another 5!

If a tournament was a £1000 buyin, a good way of setting out satelites would be a £4.00+40p 1 in 10 or a £8.00+80p 1 in 5, into a £40+4 Semi final, where from there a 1 in 5 would go to the "Final" £200+£20 1 in 5 to get a seat into the tournament. This means even the low staked players would get a shot at being in a £1000 event for the grand price of £4.40p

I hope this idea does get looked into, I really want to get involved in playing bigger live events, but dont have the BR to buy straight in, and don't want to go to another site to qualify, so if they came to sky that would be brilliant!!

Thanks
  • edited September 2009
    Just to bump this message up to the top for the suits to see :-)    As Tikay has pointed out there are only some events sky could do satelites for, not sure which these are but could be found with some research.    With such a strong percentage showing they would like to do these satelites, it shows how popular they would be. This is only the view of people who use the forum, there are many others that would play in them as well. For example none of the players that went to vegas for sky this year use the forums that often, and im sure they would be interested so thats another 5!    If a tournament was a £1000 buyin, a good way of setting out satelites would be a £4.00+40p 1 in 10 or a £8.00+80p 1 in 5, into a £40+4 Semi final, where from there a 1 in 5 would go to the "Final" £200+£20 1 in 5 to get a seat into the tournament. This means even the low staked players would get a shot at being in a £1000 event for the grand price of £4.40p    I hope this idea does get looked into, I really want to get involved in playing bigger live events, but dont have the BR to buy straight in, and don't want to go to another site to qualify, so if they came to sky that would be brilliant!!    Thanks
    Posted by FlashFlush
    THIS IS ONE MAIN REASON I PLAY ON OTHER SITES SO I CAN SATELITE INTO TOP TORNS,,PLEASE SKY ID LOVE IT IF YOU COULD ARRANGE A SATELITE INTO A GR8 TORN IN EUROPE.

CHARLES LOVE WHAT YOU HAVE POSTED AND THINK THE PRICE RANGE IS UP EVERYONES ST