You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should i have called?

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi, this is the first time i have posted hand in clinic,  but one of my many weaknesses is calling all-in bets when it is likely i'm behind. This hand is when we were down to final seven of £2.20 deepstack (137 runners) and the three of us on this table were the top three left.

I nearly called because i thought that if he had a King he might have tried to trap but i think ultimately i folded because i was worried about looking foolish if he showed a King which as you can see he didn't have.

Don't know if this hand affected my ultimate exit hand where i called an all in with another pair of Queens only to run into AA which ended up as quad Aces!

Happy to accept whatever criticism i get because the point of this clinic is to learn from your mistakes isn't it?!

Hand History #351545030 (23:07 13/03/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Brrrrrrr Small blind  4000.00 4000.00 127240.00
xxx Big blind  8000.00 12000.00 103480.00
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

coys61 Fold     
Brrrrrrr Call  4000.00 16000.00 123240.00
xxx Check     
Flop

• K
  • K

Brrrrrrr Bet  8000.00 24000.00 115240.00
xxx All-in  103480.00 127480.00 0.00
Brrrrrrr Fold     
xxx Show

xxx Win  32000.00  32000.00
xxx Return  95480.00

Comments

• edited March 2011
    #1- don't slowplay, that's what let him get away with this, raise it up pre then you have a much easier decision.

One king, I might fold, two kings- not a chance. He's bluffing here a million times more than else, knowing you can't call without a king in your hand. The fact you're the top 3 makes it tougher but you still have to call here for sure. More often than not he'll have a deuce in his hand since it was a limped pot, or possibly even a smaller pocket pair. Only hands are a king, and he's really not gonna make this move since it eliminates his profit mostly, or AA- still kinda unlikely since he has such strong showdown still.

But if you'd left his hand out you'd get a lot more objective responses, I'd say the same if I couldn't see his cards but it does skew your thoughts when you know for definite it's a bluff.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Should i have called?:
    #1- don't slowplay, that's what let him get away with this, raise it up pre then you have a much easier decision. One king, I might fold, two kings- not a chance. He's bluffing here a million times more than else, knowing you can't call without a king in your hand. The fact you're the top 3 makes it tougher but you still have to call here for sure. More often than not he'll have a deuce in his hand since it was a limped pot, or possibly even a smaller pocket pair. Only hands are a king, and he's really not gonna make this move since it eliminates his profit mostly, or AA- still kinda unlikely since he has such strong showdown still. But if you'd left his hand out you'd get a lot more objective responses, I'd say the same if I couldn't see his cards but it does skew your thoughts when you know for definite it's a bluff.
    Posted by DeucesLive
    Thanks for this, i think your number one point about slowplaying is my downfall, in hoping to trap him it backfired on me with that flop...still you hope to live and learn!