You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Upswings, Downswings and variance

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat

It's not that Baz, it's just that the rng needs looking at then there wouldn't be any more bad beats for anyone.

Every turn on sky poker brings a flush draw.

With 4 cards in the middle and 4 different suits in the deck, it should be a rareity to see a board with a flush draw on, not a common occurance. 

On other sites, the majority of boards are rainbow, 1 heart, 1 spade, 1 club and 1 diamond, then the river always brings 1 more at random, and sometimes people make a flush.

I've just broken the 30k profit mark on 3 other sites, yet have never even cashed in so much as a freeroll on sky joker. 

Ofc I'll be in the £20 gtd at 12-30 though, gotta keep plugging away ;)

Chuck enough s-h1t at the wall, eventually some will stick.

Comments

• edited March 2011

Hi all

This poker malarkey is all about variance, we get downswings, and upswings, we cannot say how long the down, or upswing will last, it just will, if you play within your bankroll, it may be possible to ride it out, who knows?

What is a bad beat? My opinion is a pocket pair being beaten by 72 off for instance, but, it can always happen, there is no right for your PP to hold up, not even Aces, your oppo always has a chance, no matter how big a favourite you are, its just poker, it’s the way it is, live, or online.

Why post a bad beat on the forum? I suppose it helps people let off steam? I simply just shrug it off and get on with it, it serves no purpose getting angry, and it does not change anything, so why bother? but, everyone is different, that’s one of the reasons poker is such a great game.

Just a thought or two J

Good luck at the tables, and may variance be kind to you, and the poker gods love you J

• edited March 2011
    Barry,  excellent Post,  If the font was big enough I might be able to read it .... ;o)
  • edited March 2011
    were you copied and pasted this from baz.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Upswings, Downswings and variance:
    were you copied and pasted this from baz.
    Posted by DELTA
    My copy of word after typing it :)
  • edited March 2011
    Barry,  excellent Post,  If the font was big enough I might be able to read it .... ;o)
    Posted by JockBMW
    There you go lol
  • edited March 2011
    It's not that Baz, it's just that the rng needs looking at then there wouldn't be any more bad beats for anyone. Every turn on sky poker brings a flush draw. With 4 cards in the middle and 4 different suits in the deck, it should be a rareity to see a board with a flush draw on, not a common occurance.  On other sites, the majority of boards are rainbow, 1 heart, 1 spade, 1 club and 1 diamond, then the river always brings 1 more at random, and sometimes people make a flush. I've just broken the 30k profit mark on 3 other sites, yet have never even cashed in so much as a freeroll on sky joker.  Ofc I'll be in the £20 gtd at 12-30 though, gotta keep plugging away ;) Chuck enough s-h1t at the wall, eventually some will stick.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Hi JJ

I too have played other sites, and done a lot worse on the others than here, so does that measn all of the rng,s are wrong?, probably not, its variance, its poker, it happens :)
  • edited March 2011
    Hahaha who's hacked DOHHHHHHH's account?
  • edited March 2011

Upswings, Downswings and variance

Disappointed Baz, I thought you were opening a theme park with the heading!!!!!

• edited March 2011
    It's not that Baz, it's just that the rng needs looking at then there wouldn't be any more bad beats for anyone. Every turn on sky poker brings a flush draw. With 4 cards in the middle and 4 different suits in the deck, it should be a rareity to see a board with a flush draw on, not a common occurance.  On other sites, the majority of boards are rainbow, 1 heart, 1 spade, 1 club and 1 diamond, then the river always brings 1 more at random, and sometimes people make a flush. I've just broken the 30k profit mark on 3 other sites, yet have never even cashed in so much as a freeroll on sky joker.  Ofc I'll be in the £20 gtd at 12-30 though, gotta keep plugging away ;) Chuck enough s-h1t at the wall, eventually some will stick.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

LOL, Class
  • edited March 2011
    Upswings, Downswings and variance Disappointed Baz, I thought you were opening a theme park with the heading!!!!!
    Posted by kaymac
    lol
  • edited March 2011
      To help out with advice on this thread i thought i would share with you my fool-proof 2 stage strategy to avoid ever receiving a bad beat.

1) Open fold every single hand(with one exception see 2) no matter what the circumstance even if in BB and you are limped into.

2) wait patiently until you get 23o and then always open shove or call any allin with it.

If you follow these 2 points for the rest of your poker career then you will NEVER EVER receive a bad beat and then you will go to your grave happy in this knowledge.
  • edited March 2011
      To help out with advice on this thread i thought i would share with you my fool-proof 2 stage strategy to avoid ever receiving a bad beat.   1) Open fold every single hand(with one exception see 2) no matter what the circumstance even if in BB and you are limped into.  2) wait patiently until you get 23o and then always open shove or call any allin with it.   If you follow these 2 points for the rest of your poker career then you will NEVER EVER receive a bad beat and then you will go to your grave happy in this knowledge.
    Posted by Talon

Not quite true, Talon. What if the shover has 23o as well but four flushes you. To the deuce. Ugh. :P

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Upswings, Downswings and variance : Not quite true, Talon. What if the shover has 23o as well but four flushes you. To the deuce. Ugh. :P
    Posted by Sky_Dave

Dave,   you spend WAAYYYYYYYYY too much time thinking about Poker ;o)

• edited March 2011
    The way to gamble while avoiding the pain of bad beats is this:

1. Open fold every hand unless you're in the small blind. Only EVER play from the small blind.
    2. If it's folded round to you, shove all your chips in. No exceptions.
    3. Put a thick piece of masking tape on your computer screen where the cards are dealt out. Remember to cover both the board and both starting hands.

That should do it.

• edited March 2011
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Oh no dohhh not you as well? just keep gettin ure chips in when ahead and it WILL/MUST/SHOULD/MAY eventually only give you a small LOSS. ;)
  • edited March 2011
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Def. Level

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Upswings, Downswings and variance : Not quite true, Talon. What if the shover has 23o as well but four flushes you. To the deuce. Ugh. :P
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    rofl
  • edited March 2011

I must have been playing on site in a different reality, as I see all the same things I see on here, on those sites..

• edited March 2011

Arise, Sir Dohhhhh, for services to the real world.