You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did I play this hand right? Or was I just un-lucky?

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I was playing in the 1k BH playing well - Only 4 players left, then this happened:- Would anyone else of played this hand in any other way?

OldBob Small blind  1500.00 1500.00 35893.75
anjie1970 Big blind  3000.00 4500.00 65119.75
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

ZOED Fold     
JIM1984 Fold     
OldBob Raise  4500.00 9000.00 31393.75
anjie1970 Call  3000.00 12000.00 62119.75
Flop

• A

OldBob Check     
anjie1970 Check     
Turn

• K

OldBob Bet  6000.00 18000.00 25393.75
anjie1970 Call  6000.00 24000.00 56119.75
River

OldBob All-in  25393.75 49393.75 0.00
anjie1970 Call  25393.75 74787.50 30726.00
OldBob Show
  • A
  • A

anjie1970 Show
  • Q
  • J

anjie1970 Win Straight to the Ace 74787.50  105513.50

Comments

• edited March 2011
    No to both questions ! You gave anjie the odds to call on every street.

Always tempting to min raise blind v blind with a monster, but your hand is still disguised with a larger bet looking like a steal.

Had to bet flop too, a cbet is expected on an ace high flop.

Then allin on the turn
  • edited March 2011
    what penguin said basically, if you choose to slowplay then this is what can be expected. Minraising pre, unless it's what you always do (and I don't expect it is) is a pure giveaway to a decent player, so make it your standard raise size. 

I can understand checking the flop, but I'd prefer a slight dwell then a weak bet at it, which looks like a half-hearted c-bet- if we're last 4, chances are higher the player is half decent and will read that weakness, and either float you- in which case you can check the turn to induce a bet- or possibly even raise to push you out, at which point you can flat and check, giving them the chance to fire again, or just raise and take it down there. Checking just doesn't achieve anything, because they have no leverage with a bet to get you off- they're much more likely to take the free card.

Yes you were unlucky they hit runner runner for the straight, but you made all the problems for yourself- slowplaying is one thing, but it has to be done with a plan- i.e, trying to deliberately mislead someone by giving them false information to make yourself look a lot weaker than you are.
  • edited March 2011

Half pot the flop. Half pot the turn. Rest on the river, if there is anything left.......

Villain should still be folding the turn, call is badddddd.

If you check the flop, you should be betting slightly bigger on the turn to shove the river for around 7/10 of the pot.
  • ybyb
    edited March 2011
    min raise pre is good, I think checking the flop is fine also as you want to give yourself every chance of getting stacks in with 10bbs behind when you hit top set.

bet a bit bigger on turn to set up a more comfortable river shove, villain played it worse than you though.
  • edited March 2011
    i think you played it fine as Yb Says just bet bigger on turn i would make it 8k min, for anyone to say you played it bad is being results orientated imo
  • edited March 2011
    no you played it fine.  only thing i would do is bet slightly bigger turn but your size is not terrible.

angie can call here with far worse than the nuts.  you have the 2nd nuts.  loads of 2pr combos/Ax that can call.

min raising pre at the latter end of tournies is the best way to play.  stacks are so shallow that you want to be able to steal the blinds when you have air but also try to induce when you are massive.

ul and good luck in the future.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Did I play this hand right? Or was I just un-lucky?:
    i think you played it fine as Yb Says just bet bigger on turn i would make it 8k min, for anyone to say you played it bad is being results orientated imo
    Posted by N1CK
    I said it first u Fekkrs!!!!

QUOTe DOHHHHHHHH !!!! :@ :
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Did I play this hand right? Or was I just un-lucky?:
    In Response to Re: Did I play this hand right? Or was I just un-lucky? : I said it first u Fekkrs!!!! QUOTe DOHHHHHHHH !!!! :@ :
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i thought you said bet the flop? nothing wrong with betting the flop but there are not many aces left so i think checking is better given stack sizes and you get a better chance to get some value on turn by them improving with a pair or draw, ok you might have mentioned the turn bet size but its not a terrible mistake lol, BTW i think scotty sums it up pretty well
  • edited March 2011
    Anjie1970 in making poor call and getting there shocker.

UL.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!!!
  • edited March 2011
    obviously penguin would 5x pre here and then pot the flop just incase villain has the backdoor straight draw...

villains call is pretty bad, I think you played it fine mate.