You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My Sky Poker Journey - Probably a bit of a yawnfest...

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat
I started playing poker back in 2007. I'd watched Late Night Poker a bit on channel 4, and figured that as numbers is my thing, and the ability to remember what has gone on, I'd be half decent at the game.I'm not exactly sure why I started on Sky Poker. At the time I was joining a lot of sites to do a spot of matched betting, and Sky was one of them. I began on the "pretend money" tables. By their nature they're very loose, and I soon realised that to play the game properly I was going to have to stick some money in an account and play "for real".So aremd with a £50.00 deposit, off I went. As I'm sure most people do, I began on the lower entry fee tournaments, and found the game exciting and scary - probably in equal measure. In something like my 6th tournament, I won. It was a £50 guarantee scary that started at 8pm (£2.00ish entry). By10 past nine I'd come out victorious, and was delighted to be £56 better off. I was hooked. I told everyone about it. £50 pounds won for a £2 entry. The world was my oyster.I entered the open on the back of that win. In those days the field froze out every night at 600 entrants (it was a 9pm "kick-off"). I didn't cash, and the thought of losing so much money (£10) in one go was sobering. The first time I was all in, I had AQ, and found AK sitting waiting. The flop of QQQ was a help, and the beginning of my luck-box journey began.Way back then,Sky showed the poker each night on (I would say 865, but it wasn't back then) TV, the Open every night, apart from Tuesday's Velocity. I discovered the joy of hearing your name read out, even if it was only "and Eyeman gets out of the way with 3 9". My big break-through came the 3rd or 4th time I played the Open. I just played well all night, and got to the final table. I lost a hand to someone tripping Jacks, but was still alive. Eventually I was heads up with aceacebabe. We had roughly equal stacks, and the blinds were prohibitive. I shoved with A 8  (suited - well it's 1%), and she called with A 6 (off). The flop came with QQ, and it was practically a guaranteed chop, until she hit runner runner clubs to flush to the 6. She had about 50,000 chips more than me, so that was that. Out in 2nd, but £800 to the good. Magnificent, but OH SO frustrating! The guy doing the show on Sky (a chipmunk of a man with blonde hair - did some awful chat-blog thing with Orford in later years) commented "and Eyeman chucks his laptop out of the window". If I had one, I might have.On the channel, they asked for volunteers to be on the TV, sometimes on the phone playing as a "virtual" guest, they also had online regulars in the studio. I applied, and got the call to be on the phone for the show. That night they had "Youngster" and "THESWISS" in the studio, and another phone guest (some teacher from down south - PhilUK something - not sure whatever happened to him). If you got to the 1 hour break, you got a £25 bounty (and they paid my entry - happy days) - typically I got a decent hand last one before the break, and got outdrawn by A5 - well that's poker.As an aside here, I have always taken bad beats particularly well. A bad beat is you getting it in correctly, and being unlucky. You want the call, and most times you come out ahead, when you don't you chalk it up, and realise that tomorrow you'll be the one hitting the miracle cards.Shortly afterwards, I was heads-up in the Open again. Apothecary was my opponent, and again we were similar in chip stacks. The final hand was her 44 versus my Q 10. Following the fop I had the open-ender and flush draw. I had more outs than a gay-pride march, but didn't hit. This was easier to take - after all she went in ahead, and she was a regular. Everyone was thrilled for her - well almost everyone.Primo was a monthly event back then, a £55 entry tournament, but generally with nearly 600 runners and a prize pool guaranteed at £25,000 - first prize was around £7,000 - the stuff of dreams. Despite being something like £1500 ahead on Sky, I wasn't about to fork out £55 for a tournament. So after 2 satellites I was in for about £2.50. Mega-excitement was dashed when my AK was all in v AQ and AJ. The king on the river, was actually a killer card as the AQ hit the straight - I don't think I'd been so devastated since Micheal Thomas scored an injury time winner to rob Liverpool of the championship in 1989.The third time I was heads-up in the open, I was against THESWISS - yes, he of my TV appearance a couple of months earlier. He was also (and is) a Sky legend as he'd won the open no fewer than 4 times. Once more we had a roughly even chip-stack, and I shoved with KJ to find him sitting there with AJ. I was struck dumb. Was I destined never to wiin the bloody thing? When the king came on the flop, I was jubilant (but embarassed), and I'd taken down the Open against Sky's most successful tournament player. The fact that I'd been a luck-box to do it did tarnish the victory slightly, but only slightly - after all who would ever remember?Following my Open victory I got another phonecall from Sky. Would I like to come on the Saturday night invite? Do bears relieve themselves in forest areas was my rough response! The online players only had the one day to appear by this time, it was a Saturday night, and I turned up almost sick with a mixture of excitement and nerves. The presenters (Paul (ugh - what was his surname - Mussel or something) and Matt Broughton) were excellent and put me (and Ollie - the other online prole) at our ease. The first time they came to us, I managed to chew on, swallow and partially digest my tongue before I got a sentence out - nightmare. I thought it might well be the last time they talked to us, but as the evening went on, they chatted with us quite a lot (possibly more than usual) and I came up with a couple of jokes. I went out fairly early with 88 v AK (or was it the other way around?), but did well in the velocity for a while. I still have the DVDs of the evening that Sky kindly sent to me after my Sky Plus box went kaputt.I'm conscious that this is a bit of a dirge and drivel, so I'll leave it there for the moment. There's more to come, if anyone's interested.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Should of gone to specsavers !! Paragraphs FTW Sir. Nice story.

I started playing poker back in 2007. I'd watched Late Night Poker a bit on channel 4, and figured that as numbers is my thing, and the ability to remember what has gone on, I'd be half decent at the game.I'm not exactly sure why I started on Sky Poker. At the time I was joining a lot of sites to do a spot of matched betting, and Sky was one of them.

I began on the "pretend money" tables. By their nature they're very loose, and I soon realised that to play the game properly I was going to have to stick some money in an account and play "for real".So aremd with a £50.00 deposit, off I went. As I'm sure most people do, I began on the lower entry fee tournaments, and found the game exciting and scary - probably in equal measure.

In something like my 6th tournament, I won. It was a £50 guarantee scary that started at 8pm (£2.00ish entry). By10 past nine I'd come out victorious, and was delighted to be £56 better off. I was hooked. I told everyone about it. £50 pounds won for a £2 entry. The world was my oyster.I entered the open on the back of that win. In those days the field froze out every night at 600 entrants (it was a 9pm "kick-off"). I didn't cash, and the thought of losing so much money (£10) in one go was sobering. The first time I was all in, I had AQ, and found AK sitting waiting. The flop of QQQ was a help, and the beginning of my luck-box journey began

.Way back then,Sky showed the poker each night on (I would say 865, but it wasn't back then) TV, the Open every night, apart from Tuesday's Velocity. I discovered the joy of hearing your name read out, even if it was only "and Eyeman gets out of the way with 3 9". My big break-through came the 3rd or 4th time I played the Open. I just played well all night, and got to the final table. I lost a hand to someone tripping Jacks, but was still alive. Eventually I was heads up with aceacebabe. We had roughly equal stacks, and the blinds were prohibitive. I shoved with A 8  (suited - well it's 1%), and she called with A 6 (off). The flop came with QQ, and it was practically a guaranteed chop, until she hit runner runner clubs to flush to the 6. She had about 50,000 chips more than me, so that was that. Out in 2nd, but £800 to the good. Magnificent, but OH SO frustrating! 

The guy doing the show on Sky (a chipmunk of a man with blonde hair - did some awful chat-blog thing with Orford in later years) commented "and Eyeman chucks his laptop out of the window". If I had one, I might have.On the channel, they asked for volunteers to be on the TV, sometimes on the phone playing as a "virtual" guest, they also had online regulars in the studio. I applied, and got the call to be on the phone for the show. That night they had "Youngster" and "THESWISS" in the studio, and another phone guest (some teacher from down south - PhilUK something - not sure whatever happened to him). If you got to the 1 hour break, you got a £25 bounty (and they paid my entry - happy days) - typically I got a decent hand last one before the break, and got outdrawn by A5 - well that's poker

.As an aside here, I have always taken bad beats particularly well. A bad beat is you getting it in correctly, and being unlucky. You want the call, and most times you come out ahead, when you don't you chalk it up, and realise that tomorrow you'll be the one hitting the miracle cards.Shortly afterwards, I was heads-up in the Open again. Apothecary was my opponent, and again we were similar in chip stacks. The final hand was her 44 versus my Q 10. Following the fop I had the open-ender and flush draw. I had more outs than a gay-pride march, but didn't hit. This was easier to take - after all she went in ahead, and she was a regular. Everyone was thrilled for her - well almost everyone.

Primo was a monthly event back then, a £55 entry tournament, but generally with nearly 600 runners and a prize pool guaranteed at £25,000 - first prize was around £7,000 - the stuff of dreams. Despite being something like £1500 ahead on Sky, I wasn't about to fork out £55 for a tournament. So after 2 satellites I was in for about £2.50. Mega-excitement was dashed when my AK was all in v AQ and AJ. The king on the river, was actually a killer card as the AQ hit the straight - I don't think I'd been so devastated since Micheal Thomas scored an injury time winner to rob Liverpool of the championship in 1989.

The third time I was heads-up in the open, I was against THESWISS - yes, he of my TV appearance a couple of months earlier. He was also (and is) a Sky legend as he'd won the open no fewer than 4 times. Once more we had a roughly even chip-stack, and I shoved with KJ to find him sitting there with AJ. I was struck dumb. Was I destined never to wiin the bloody thing? When the king came on the flop, I was jubilant (but embarassed), and I'd taken down the Open against Sky's most successful tournament player. The fact that I'd been a luck-box to do it did tarnish the victory slightly, but only slightly - after all who would ever remember?

Following my Open victory I got another phonecall from Sky. Would I like to come on the Saturday night invite? Do bears relieve themselves in forest areas was my rough response! The online players only had the one day to appear by this time, it was a Saturday night, and I turned up almost sick with a mixture of excitement and nerves. The presenters (Paul (ugh - what was his surname) and JB) were excellent and put me (and Ollie - the other online prole) at our ease. The first time they came to us, I managed to chew on, swallow and partially digest my tongue before I got a sentence out - nightmare. I thought it might well be the last time they talked to us, but as the evening went on, they chatted with us quite a lot (possibly more than usual) and I came up with a couple of jokes. I went out fairly early with 88 v AK (or was it the other way around?), but did well in the velocity for a while. I still have the DVDs of the evening that Sky kindly sent to me after my Sky Plus box went kaputt.

I'm conscious that this is a bit of a dirge and drivel, so I'll leave it there for the moment. There's more to come, if anyone's interested.
  • edited March 2011
    more more more.... you can't end a story incomplete lol nice although eye stretching read lol now write the second part of this book lol
  • edited March 2011
    theres more............. OMG lol

nice story but very long ;)
  • edited March 2011
    It had paragraphs before I hit "submit"
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: My Sky Poker Journey - Probably a bit of a yawnfest...:
    It had paragraphs before I hit "submit"
    Posted by Eyeman
    Hi Eye,

It is a peculiarity of this software, or at least for me, that when I type something into "WORD" first, (which is a FAR easier writing medium) then C & P it across to the Community, it messes with the paragraphs & line breaks. Maybe that happened here.

• edited March 2011

Great story there, Mr Eye, so many evocative memories, thank you.

The Presenter "Paul" you were trying to think of was Paul Mussell.

Apart from being a great story, it shows how difficult it is to read a long Post without paragraphs, the eyes positively bleed, so we've all learned something there, & fair play to Alan for paragraphing it.

Good story Mr P, & good to see you at the weekend.
  • edited March 2011
    Back in the day Sky ran a tournament called the 5-0 (a little like the current monthly deepstack - limited to 50 players), the buy-in was £110, but there was a nightly satellite, limited to 25 players each paying a fiver. It was a winner takes all sat. One week I managed to qualify from one of these sats, then bubbled - 8th paid £250 - 9th - not a penny - gutted. The following week I was heads up in the satellite again - with a player Jimbo31. We were heads up for about an hour, and made an agreement that the loser would take a 25% stake in the eventual winner. In the end I won the satellite, and took my place in the coveted event. I went down to 700 chips early, but clawed back to about 4,500 when I was dealt 4 2 in the big blind. Everyone folded round to the small blind who limped. The flop came 2 4 6 (I know - it's a failing I have - I remember all sorts of rubbish), The small blind posted a bet, and i raised, he shoved, and I called. He flips over KK, and has to be surprised to fid himself behind, his surprise will have turned to sorrow as the board failed to pair, and no king followed - it taught me never to limp with a premium!

Soon  afterwards I woke up with AK. Before the action got to me there had been a raise, then a re-raise. I thought long and hard, but folded. They showed the hand on TV and Caspar berrated me for my nittiness - "in a tournament like this, and a blind structure like this, you can't wait for aces to come along". The other 2 hands were AQ and 99 - 9 on the flop. "The point remains", argued Caspar," that you shouldn't fold such hands." He was sounding slightly less convincing, and my decision looked preety good (AK IS NOT THE NUTS).

Once again we were on the cash bubble, and I was in a comfortable 2nd place and got aces. A player raised with a low stack, Bigshann re-raised, and I shoved. Theguv (the short stack) called, and so did shann (I had them both covered). Theguv showed 22, Bigshann QQ. The flop came with a 2, so theguv survived from small stack, and shann bubbled on a cold deck. Despite losing the hand, I actually won a significant number of chips and went to the final table chip-leader. Eventually I was heads-up with Theguv (just goes to show) and was pleased to see him shove into my made straight. First prize was mine - £1500 - my biggest win - less, of course the £375 I had to send to Jimbo31 - was I disappointed by this? Not a bit of it - he was absolutely thrilled, and so was I.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to My Sky Poker Journey - Probably a bit of a yawnfest...:
    Primo was a monthly event back then, a £55 entry tournament, but generally with nearly 600 runners and a prize pool guaranteed at £25,000 - first prize was around £7,000 - the stuff of dreams. 
    Posted by Eyeman

id love to see this again
  • edited March 2011

Very good effort. Any chance you can write one for me?

• edited March 2011
    Nice stuff m8... I can recall a few tough battles against you in the old 5 0. I never got to win it though, bridesmaid twice !
  • edited March 2011
    By this time, I was in the happy situation of knowing that I'd never be playing poker with "my own money", I was about £4000 ahead, and I don't play cash (actually that's a lie - I lapse and discover I'm rubbish at it, and vow never to play it again). I had one more extraordinary 2nd in the Open (we're probably towards the end of 2008). I'd managed to make the final table, but with blinds at 15,000 / 30,000 or similar, I was sitting not very pretty on about 25,000. First hand I doubled-up. I was till 6th, but alive. Then the bizarrest thing happened. Before the blinds got round to me again 4 other players had shoved all in (including Greghogg !), and the same player knocked them out. I was still dead-in-the-water, but now in 2nd place. Normally you're frustrated and sad to finish 2nd, I was over the moon (and that's despite him hitting trip 9s with 9 2 when I was all-in) - I'd won an extra £600 or so by sitting quietly, and watching a trail of destruction.
    I won the Monday night Bounty Hunter for my 3rd Sky main event win (basically any of the big nightly events at 8pm) 10 10 v K 10 heads-up. And that month (April 2009) I discovered dyms, and defying variance won over £1000 in the first month. On the back of this and my BH win, I paid the entry into the SUKPT final in Nottingham.
    You may notice that I have mad eno mention of "live" play at all - that's because I'd never played live in my life. Maybe Nottingham was a baptism of fire, as I din't last so long, and blew a sizable number of chips away by not realising you can chuck a 500 chip in and say "raise to 200".
    There then followed a considerable downswing. Well, you can't win every month, or, it seems, every 6 months. I foolishly put it down to paying the high Nottingham entry - something I'd always tried to satellite for until then. In truth it was too much play, too much poor play, and a little bit of variance. It comes to us all...
  • edited March 2011
    Good post,s  - A shame about the live event - SPT,s are a good way of live practise - 
    Wouldn,t mind a nice run like yours myself tho
  • edited March 2011
    Nice stuff

When will you get to your SPT Luton 2011 exit hand? :)
  • edited March 2011
    So from April 2008 until April 2009 I went on my downswing. I was playing too often, and too poorly. I was reloading again and again. I was probably £6,000 up at the start of this, then in that year, lost £2,000. The break when it came was a really lucky one. I had decided to play the Viva Las Vegas semi on a Sunday night (which is not normally a Sky Poker night for me), but went out fairly quickly. Given that the night was young, I entered Primo. I had one of those tournaments you get every now and then. I was all in 3 times in the first couple of hours well behind (and I mean runner runner, or 2 outers for salvation) and binked the necessary. Once I had a playable stack I cruised to the final table, where I ended up heads-up with Welp. I shoved with A 2 (suited) and he called with K 10 (suited), he flopped the K, so second it was - for £2350 - in 1 night I'd recouped a whole year's worth of losses. It was pretty much 100% luck, but i didn't care.
    Once again, I paid the entry to Nottingham, and this time I was better prepared. I'd played 2 or 3 of the SUKPT regionals (doing moderately well in Glasgow). LCFCFan14 (Foxyplop) came down from a foreign country stuck on the top of England and gave me a lift down. 4 or 5 hours in and my 10,000 starting stack was at 6,500 or so. There then followed on of those odd runs you get in life. In 5 consecutive hands I doubled up, or knocked someone out. I went from 6,500 chips to 80,000, and I was in cruise mode, made all the sweeter when i folded 10 10 into aces about 3 hands later. I came back the next day (avoiding the marathon traffic) and cashed before finishing 14th. I got the live bug.
    Since then (last September) I've been playing a lot less, and possibly a lot better. I try and play on Sky just once or twice a week (generally Monday and Thursday), and my life doesn't revolve around the game like it did for my downswing year. This year I cashed live again - Newcastle (sadly the night before the actual Sky event), then had a mad week or so. 
    I was heads-up in the Thursday bounty hunter, my 400,000 chips against Sizzling's 650,000 (he'd just hit a queen on the river to hit an unlikely straight to knock the 3rd placed finisher out) and I was dealt KK. We both ende dup all-in, and when he showed A 5, I thought the ace was a shoe-in. After the 7 4 2 flop, the 3 became the other danger. The K on the turn gave me renewed hope, before the river 3 dashed it. Tikay, in the studio that night, practically wet himself when the 3 dropped (as well as accusing me of being 55 or 57), James Hartigan said what I was thinking - "that was horrible".
    10 days later I was in the Monday night BH, and won it this time. That brings us more or less up to date.
    It seems like something of a brag post. I don't pretend to be a great player. I'm useless at cash, decent at DYMs, and ok at tournaments. I have won 4 (so-called) main events, and been 2nd 5 times. Overall, I'm probably about £8,000 to the good, and I'm enjoying my poker again. 
    Hope this has been of some interest to the peeps on the forum, and if not, you've read an awfully long way to realise it!
  • edited March 2011
    As Solack has so kindly reminded me...
    My K7, his Q6. 6 on turn. I was pretty short-stacked, and he had just hit runner runner to knock out someone with trip kings. Obviously from that position, he couldn't fail to cash. . . . 
  • edited March 2011
    By this time, I was in the happy situation of knowing that I'd never be playing poker with "my own money", I was about £4000 ahead, and I don't play cash (actually that's a lie - I lapse and discover I'm rubbish at it, and vow never to play it again). I had one more extraordinary 2nd in the Open (we're probably towards the end of 2008). I'd managed to make the final table, but with blinds at 15,000 / 30,000 or similar, I was sitting not very pretty on about 25,000. First hand I doubled-up. I was till 6th, but alive. Then the bizarrest thing happened. Before the blinds got round to me again 4 other players had shoved all in (including Greghogg !), and the same player knocked them out. I was still dead-in-the-water, but now in 2nd place. Normally you're frustrated and sad to finish 2nd, I was over the moon (and that's despite him hitting trip 9s with 9 2 when I was all-in) - I'd won an extra £600 or so by sitting quietly, and watching a trail of destruction. I won the Monday night Bounty Hunter for my 3rd Sky main event win (basically any of the big nightly events at 8pm) 10 10 v K 10 heads-up. And that month (April 2009) I discovered dyms, and defying variance won over £1000 in the first month. On the back of this and my BH win, I paid the entry into the SUKPT final in Nottingham. You may notice that I have mad eno mention of "live" play at all - that's because I'd never played live in my life. Maybe Nottingham was a baptism of fire, as I din't last so long, and blew a sizable number of chips away by not realising you can chuck a 500 chip in and say "raise to 200". There then followed a considerable downswing. Well, you can't win every month, or, it seems, every 6 months. I foolishly put it down to paying the high Nottingham entry - something I'd always tried to satellite for until then. In truth it was too much play, too much poor play, and a little bit of variance. It comes to us all...
    Posted by Eyeman
    a) this means i was on an open final table... hmmm those were the days!

b) you just reminded me of this! you folded your way up the ladder while i went for the win with my 99 and promptly donked out...

nice posts eyeplop more pls. I wonder how long i will keep hold of your jumper btw... its nice but it dont fit lol
  • edited March 2011
    nice story m8, i hope your luck continues, its nice when one of the good guys does well.
  • edited March 2011
  • edited March 2011
    Loved this!!

Really cracking read, you need a blog!

MIRROR what Mike says, genuine good guy!

Was awesome to chop that Friday night in Newcastle, SPT glory awaits!

TKP FTW
  • edited March 2011
    nice thread mate
  • edited March 2011
    Nice read and great look into your poker life so far on sky. More please and i'll 2nd any bloggage nomination.
  • edited March 2011

fab read Graham. All this time you have been giving me advice to help my game and I didn't know you are a CELEBRITY!!!

WOW .....now I must tweet Tom Dwan to tell him!!!! :))
  • edited March 2011
    Eyeman just immortalised himself a bit :) Cracking read Graham!
  • edited March 2011
    I guess I should finish with what I want to do from now on.
    Firstly I'm happy playing the Open and TSP a couple of nights a week or so. At the beginning of the year, I was aiming at a win and a couple of final tables, and that's happened already. I really enjoy the Sky live games, but probably haven't got the game for them yet. I'd love to get to Vegas (ironically the twice I've been in "finals" I bombed, only to finish top 4 in the open on the same day) with Sky.
    Being honest, if I never won another big tournament, I couldn't complain - I'm really not such a great player, but have managed to sneak under the radar a few times.
    If I had to give 2 pieces of advice for any poker player (like I'm in the position to be offering advice), it'd be...
    1. Always play your opponents. Take note of what they do, who the fish are etc.
    2. Never play a tournament you can't afford to lose - I've played badly myself in tournaments (the £220 deepie being an obvious example) because I haven't been prepared to commit my chips in case I lose. You can't play poker like that.
  • edited March 2011

most definitely NOT a yawnfest Graham

Very captivating and enjoyable read with quality advice at the end.

Thank you for sharing this

Lorraine x
  • edited March 2011
     one word quality
  • edited March 2011
     one word quality
    Posted by thorpey1
    +1 great read