You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was this a terrible fold on the river?

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Was this a terrible fold: The only thing i know about the player is that they are tight and patient only playing premiums:

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancemartgySmall blind £0.10£0.10£3.65hamster880Big blind £0.20£0.30£32.95 Your hole cardsAK   xxxxRaise £0.60£0.90£22.33panther07Fold    rugbykoz30Fold    martgyFold    hamster880Raise £1.60£2.50£31.35xxxxxCall £1.20£3.70£21.13Flop  26K   hamster880Check    xxxxCheck    Turn  Q   hamster880Bet £1.60£5.30£29.75xxxxxRaise £3.20£8.50£17.93hamster880Call £1.60£10.10£28.15River  8   hamster880Bet £5.05£15.15£23.10xxxxAll-in £17.93£33.08£0.00hamster880Fold    xxxxMuck    xxxxxWin £19.19 £19.19xxxxxReturn £12.88£1.01£32.07

Comments

• edited March 2011
    i think you should lead that flop as you 3 bet him pre, i would fold the river its like he has pocket queens but anyway i dont like 1 pair here vs him
  • edited March 2011

I don't blame you for folding the river, he's played it quite strangely (I guess fair play to him)

The fact he only calls your re-raise pre can rule out AA and prob Q's too. KQ is a possibility or maybe a slow played set on the flop? The only other thing he could jam on the river with is busted flush, but that's unlikly as you have two spades...
  • edited March 2011

thats what i put him kq or a set. just the all in at the end really surprised me - in retrospect i think i should have bet the flop (and shoved if raised) (I didnt do this cos he was a very tight player so didnt think i was going to get much chips - also top pair and the nut flush draw was so strong i didnt mind giving away a free card)

It didnt make a lot of difference anyway cos the next hand i go dealt kk and the guy called a big preflop raise and ended up flopped a set of fours on a very dry board - needless to say i dumped my money to him lol

• edited March 2011
    I dont understand, or like that check on the flop.
    As you have the betting lead you definetly need to bet around £3, thats the flop you wanted to see.

As played.. Fold River!
  • edited March 2011
    Such a juicy flop and you check it...?
  • edited March 2011
    vs aggro opponents checking flop is cool why did you flat call his minraise then decide to lead out on the river though?
  • edited March 2011
    I woulda either reraised big over his turn bet if I'm in a gambling mood, or flatted then checked river- if he jams I just shrug and fold, and if he puts in a normal value bet I call it off and make notes. I think flatting the turn and leading out is definitely the worst of the options available to you, if he truly has you crushed you're just throwing chips away- AK kinda shrinks up in value.

I guess checking the flop back is ok, depends what your c-bet frequency is like after raising preflop- but with that kind of hand I'd want to get chips in now while I have two cards left that can improve my hand massively- if you hit your flush you're probably not getting paid much without leading the flop.

I know top pair top kicker and nut flush draw is massive, but it becomes distinctly less massive when you don't hit on the turn. It's only a massive hand on the flop.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: was this a terrible fold on the river?:
    vs aggro opponents checking flop is cool why did you flat call his minraise then decide to lead out on the river though?
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    This.

Think your problems started with the river lead.

I'd be happy to c/c the river tbh.

You've under repped your hand so he can probably bluff raise here expecting to get a fold.
  • edited March 2011
    He said the player was tight and patient, not aggro- I think a weak lead is better than a check here, get some information about how strong he is and get some chips in while you're good- check raising only works if you're relatively certain he's gonna put some chips in the pot for you, and by the sounds of it he won't.