You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Seriously considering quiting Sky Poker

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat
am getting to my wits end now, every single big hand I seem to get involved with I'm always getting done with the best hand going into the river and people hitting it, I dont think I can take much more of it!!!!!

Am I a bad player cause I just cannot be this unlucky all the time, too many hands to give examples of but its really starting to grind me down.

The other thing that gets to me is what people call a big all in with on a bounty hunter, you shove a big stack with AK and you get called and knocked out with 67, please tell me if its me, am I the idiot, are other people the idiots, Im just getting sick of it

to me now it seems poker isnt about poker, its about lucking out, Im spewing here currently waiting to go into the TSP classic which in this state of mind is probably not good lol!!

I lasted 1 hand in take on Tikay just now, my QQ against 10 10, and guess what happened, they hit a 10 on the river Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rant over lol

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Decided to pull out the TSP classic and go for a 2.30 BH instead to see how I go lol
  • edited March 2011
    best thing to do is take a break I wouldn't quit these things happen I have the same happen to me a lot I am currently taking a break from playing not because of the bad beats or anything but for other reasons, but they all say when your having a bad spell take a break how ever long u want until you feel refreshed and things will get better.... good luck in your B/H
  • edited March 2011
    Hi darling,i played on your table last nite remember? you questioned my 5x bb call very early with Q 10 sooted? in these tournys players call a whole lot wider than they do in a standard freezeout and some play their hands as they would in a cash game.

FWIW i think your game is fine and you are just being very unlucky and if you keep gettin your chips in ahead you WILL win more than you lose over a long period.

GL at the tables xxx
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Seriously considering quiting Sky Poker:
    am getting to my wits end now, every single big hand I seem to get involved with I'm always getting done with the best hand going into the river and people hitting it, I dont think I can take much more of it!!!!! Am I a bad player cause I just cannot be this unlucky all the time, too many hands to give examples of but its really starting to grind me down. The other thing that gets to me is what people call a big all in with on a bounty hunter, you shove a big stack with AK and you get called and knocked out with 67, please tell me if its me, am I the idiot, are other people the idiots, Im just getting sick of it to me now it seems poker isnt about poker, its about lucking out, Im spewing here currently waiting to go into the TSP classic which in this state of mind is probably not good lol!! I lasted 1 hand in take on Tikay just now, my QQ against 10 10, and guess what happened, they hit a 10 on the river Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Rant over lol
    Posted by YouKnowsIt
    had the same thing happen to me all day to day,does me f in headin,tomorrows a different day and ur luck will change m8,and the muppets that call with jack shi t will be the losers in the long run.
  • edited March 2011
    Bounty hunter says it all, you are gonna get more speculative calls in this game cos they after your head
  • edited March 2011
    imo sky pokers rng does seem to put up a lot ove action hands to get ppl eliminated out ove tornys and to build up the rake on cash.yes it does happen on other sites but not as often, imo again.del
  • edited March 2011
    No River NO FISH
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Seriously considering quiting Sky Poker:
    No River NO FISH
    Posted by demondave
    The most ridiculous statement ive ever heard since kim jong il in north korea lol
  • edited March 2011
    fish cant live without water and there is water in the river obv!!!
  • edited March 2011
    fish cant live without water and there is water in the river obv!!!
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    Poker fish can obv!!!!!
  • edited March 2011
    imo sky pokers rng does seem to put up a lot ove action hands to get ppl eliminated out ove tornys and to build up the rake on cash.yes it does happen on other sites but not as often, imo again.del
    Posted by DELTA
    imo your talking poo

• edited March 2011
    It's just mathematics. Most times you're never more than an 80% favourite and in tournaments you face many of these events. If you face eight of them the odds are:

1  80%
    2  64%
    3  51%
    4  41%
    5  32%
    6  26%
    7  21%
    8  17%

So getting your money in as an 80% favourite means that in a tourney 6 times out of 7 you will get busted! The reality is likely to be a lot worse as you will often face more than 8 occurrences and you're not always going to be anything like 80%.

There could actually be a 90+% chance of getting a bad beat - so how bad is this beat really?
  • edited March 2011
    am getting to my wits end now, every single big hand I seem to get involved with I'm always getting done with the best hand going into the river and people hitting it, I dont think I can take much more of it!!!!! Am I a bad player cause I just cannot be this unlucky all the time, too many hands to give examples of but its really starting to grind me down. The other thing that gets to me is what people call a big all in with on a bounty hunter, you shove a big stack with AK and you get called and knocked out with 67, please tell me if its me, am I the idiot, are other people the idiots, Im just getting sick of it to me now it seems poker isnt about poker, its about lucking out, Im spewing here currently waiting to go into the TSP classic which in this state of mind is probably not good lol!! I lasted 1 hand in take on Tikay just now, my QQ against 10 10, and guess what happened, they hit a 10 on the river Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Rant over lol
    Posted by YouKnowsIt
    Hi

Sounds like me, you are on a massive downswing, and variance atm, take a couple of days off, it will change, it does even itself out, I just cannot say when.
  • edited March 2011
    It's just mathematics. Most times you're never more than an 80% favourite and in tournaments you face many of these events. If you face eight of them the odds are: 1  80% 2  64% 3  51% 4  41% 5  32% 6  26% 7  21% 8  17% So getting your money in as an 80% favourite means that in a tourney 6 times out of 7 you will get busted! The reality is likely to be a lot worse as you will often face more than 8 occurrences and you're not always going to be anything like 80%. There could actually be a 90+% chance of getting a bad beat - so how bad is this beat really?
    Posted by BigBluster

Good stuff.

Really puts me off playing tournaments. lol :(
  • edited March 2011
    Lol cheers guys for all you comments

I'm just a little frustrated thats all, I worked hard to make a tidy profit for me and I have seen that profit now dwindle away cause of what I previously said, I wouldnt mind if it was just in one tourney thats just bad luck, just seems to be constantly happening in many and the  money is sliding away lol

Deb, cheers for your comment, when I had a dig at you, was nothing personal, was just tilting from all this, ur game very good
  • edited March 2011
    Oh and as for the break from the game, I do actually love poker and cant stay away, I just need to learn when I run bad in one tourney, then take a break, dont jump straight into another like I do then take another bad run
  • edited March 2011
    These things happen I for 1 was in the DTD forum league about 3 weeks ago and got busted out of 2 torney's with AA in quick succesion, The main thing is not to go on tilt as this will effect your game or start punching the walls , as i ve done in the past lol, just try and take it on the cheek and move to the next game. the upswing will return just that torney have an high varience 
  • edited March 2011

IM just coming out of the same at the moment I get it in good but get outdrawn AK v Q10 three queens turn up, AA V 99 quad 9s turn up it goes on.  (funny last night the  ones I did win I was behind!!)

just drop down the stakes play the £2.10 bounty try a few small satalites but the best advice, if you cant leave the game alone try a sit and go double your money there cheap and you just need to be 3d, sometimes you dont even need to play a hand!, Im sure it will change for you but take heart you are not alone good luck 
  • edited March 2011
    The first thing to understand is that you're not going to win every tournament you enter. Winning depends on some luck and good stack management throughout the tournament. Small-ball is the name of the game in the early and middle stages. Shoving just isn't needed unless you are extremely short stacked. Try to avoid all-in situations and build a stack gradually as you progress through the tournament. The point at which you need to hit the shove switch is at 5BB not at 10 BB as is commonly purported on here. 

You don't need to be the CL either in the tournament or even at your table to eventually win a tournament. You need to maintain folding equity, but that is relative to your table not the overall state of the tournament. Survival is the name of the game and there will be lots of opportunities to shove your stack into the middle once you have secured the cash. 

Stay tight, stay cool and remain focussed on what your opponents are doing. Pick your spots and target certain players, and don't be panicked into thinking you have to win the tournament when there are still 50 players left in. Just survive for as long as you can and see where it takes you - you might be pleasantly surprised. 
  • edited March 2011
    The first thing to understand is that you're not going to win every tournament you enter. Winning depends on some luck and good stack management throughout the tournament. Small-ball is the name of the game in the early and middle stages. Shoving just isn't needed unless you are extremely short stacked. Try to avoid all-in situations and build a stack gradually as you progress through the tournament. The point at which you need to hit the shove switch is at 5BB not at 10 BB as is commonly purported on here.  You don't need to be the CL either in the tournament or even at your table to eventually win a tournament. You need to maintain folding equity, but that is relative to your table not the overall state of the tournament. Survival is the name of the game and there will be lots of opportunities to shove your stack into the middle once you have secured the cash.  Stay tight, stay cool and remain focussed on what your opponents are doing. Pick your spots and target certain players, and don't be panicked into thinking you have to win the tournament when there are still 50 players left in. Just survive for as long as you can and see where it takes you - you might be pleasantly surprised. 
    Posted by elsadog
    Great post +1
  • edited March 2011
    The first thing to understand is that you're not going to win every tournament you enter. Winning depends on some luck and good stack management throughout the tournament. Small-ball is the name of the game in the early and middle stages. Shoving just isn't needed unless you are extremely short stacked. Try to avoid all-in situations and build a stack gradually as you progress through the tournament. The point at which you need to hit the shove switch is at 5BB not at 10 BB as is commonly purported on here.  You don't need to be the CL either in the tournament or even at your table to eventually win a tournament. You need to maintain folding equity, but that is relative to your table not the overall state of the tournament. Survival is the name of the game and there will be lots of opportunities to shove your stack into the middle once you have secured the cash.  Stay tight, stay cool and remain focussed on what your opponents are doing. Pick your spots and target certain players, and don't be panicked into thinking you have to win the tournament when there are still 50 players left in. Just survive for as long as you can and see where it takes you - you might be pleasantly surprised. 
    Posted by elsadog

Great Post ED,  Who's your Ghost Writer ;o)

• edited March 2011

Giving it a miss is good for you. It's scary to think how much of our lives we spend staring at screens - we use computers in work, watch television at home, sometimes put on a video or DVD, go to the cinema, watch the game at the pub, play online poker......most of our waking lives spent staring at screens.

Not good.

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Seriously considering quiting Sky Poker : 0 Great Post ED,  Who's your Ghost Writer ;o)
    Posted by JockBMW
    Cheek!
  • edited March 2011
    o dear not another one :(

Change the game ur playing and see if that helps, i play MTT but they are high variance so i have also been playing other games cash/dym to keep my bankroll. Tourneys are very frustrating the amount of bad beats are relentless but just about getting back on the horse and riding through it, if your mindset or game has been affected then take a break.
  • edited March 2011

am getting to my wits end now, every single big hand I seem to get involved with I'm always getting done with the best hand going into the river and people hitting it,I dont think I can take much more of it!!!!! Am I a bad player cause I just cannot be this unlucky all the time, too many hands to give examples of but its really starting to grind me down. The other thing that gets to me is what people call a big all in with on a bounty hunter, you shove a big stack with AK and you get called and knocked out with 67,please tell me if its me, am I the idiot, are other people the idiots, Im just getting sick of it to me now it seems poker isnt about poker, its about lucking out, Im spewing here currently waiting to go into the TSP classic which in this state of mind is probably not good lol!! I lasted 1 hand in take on Tikay just now, my QQ against 10 10, and guess what happened, they hit a 10 on the river Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Rant over lol
    Posted by YouKnowsIt
    point one.keep a chart of the times you are ahead,im sure you will find its not "everytime" that they get beat,its just that it hurts more when you get knocked out while ahead so it seems the poker gods are against you.

point two.you are not that far ahead with ak v 67 so it should not suprise you when ace high loses heads up against any two cards.

point three.you are not an idiot,getting it in ahead and getting unlucky means you are making the right decisions.(but that does'nt mean the other player is an idiot either.)

point four(the most important one)

poker has changed dramatically in the last five years(never mind the last 20) and calling with speculative hands in mtt's is the norm at the moment.
    i would recoment reading articals by some of the top young players such as jake cody,chris moorman e.tc

point five.have a night off!

gl,dave

• edited March 2011

I agree with DAVEYZZ there are so many Joseph’s out there at the moment it crazy, and it’s not just Sky there on all sites, so any one that says it better elsewhere has either just been lucky not to meet one, or did not notice them.

I also feel that the better you get you tend to find yourself bad beating more, your playing a better game, you think more, you raise the correct amount and you get unlucky with the cards more.

I remember when I started, I always thought that how can I win if I’m not playing my cards….. I could not at the time work out why people folded every hand, and when I won with 3 4 off suit I was main event material, ready to go all the way to the top……….. hummmmmmmmmmmm wrong big time.

Now after years of study and playing I know the difference, I have evolved from King Joseph and somewhat a solid player, sure I play some daft hands now and then, but you have to, it depends on who you are playing at the time and what they are playing,

But it’s a pain when you get your money in with the best hand, and along comes the latest Joseph, who has watched Gus or Daniel on the telly playing 5 4 off and winning, what your run of the mill Joseph has not worked out, is that they have a reason for doing that and have calculated and thought through the move, and they are not just doing it for the fun of it.

I don’t think that listing the bad beats that I have had over the last few weeks, would help anyone, let alone me….. there gone I have moved on, I will play the same cards the same way, and with luck they will stand up next time, if not next time the time after that, probilitys say that they will even out over time. 

• edited March 2011
    Posted by elsadog
    What an excellent reply and so eloquently put..............really solid tips.......quality as usual Elsa, vwd.