You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

i need a rule cleared up can u help.

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat
whilst playing live in my local, two players left after the turn, first to act goes all in, second says how much, first player thinks he`s heard a call and flips his cards up next to the pool cards revealing two pairs. second player then argues that he did not call and that the first player has mucked his cards, and therfore he should take the pot. first player says he is intitalled to show his cards if he wants to and that second player should now call or fold with the extra information. who is correct?

Comments

• edited March 2011
    In Response to i need a rule cleared up can u help.:
    whilst playing live in my local, two players left after the turn, first to act goes all in, second says how much, first player thinks he`s heard a call and flips his cards up next to the pool cards revealing two pairs. second player then argues that he did not call and that the first player has mucked his cards, and therfore he should take the pot. first player says he is intitalled to show his cards if he wants to and that second player should now call or fold with the extra information. who is correct?
    Posted by longman912
    Player 1's hand is not dead, although, for the record, he is not "entitled" to show his hole cards.

Action is on Player 2.  He can call or fold from the advantageous position of knowing his opponent's cards!

After the hand is over, assuming Player 1 is still in the tournament, he may receive a penalty or warning for exposing his hand.

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: i need a rule cleared up can u help.:
    In Response to i need a rule cleared up can u help. : Player 1's hand is not dead, although, for the record, he is not "entitled" to show his hole cards. Action is on Player 2.  He can call or fold from the advantageous position of knowing his opponent's cards! After the hand is over, assuming Player 1 is still in the tournament, he may receive a penalty or warning for exposing his hand.
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    thanks very much for clearing this up for me.
  • edited March 2011
    In a similar vein - It used to be a common thing for people to turn their hand over when bet into on the river, before calling or folding, just to see how the other guy reacted. This will still happen in home games.

It's considered a fair play by some and very naughty by others.
  • edited March 2011
    I had a similar experience in a £100 freezeout recently.

A player who I had a bit of history with at the far end of the table raised and when it came round to me I shoved with 34 off suit knowing I could push him off it.

He folded and I triumphantly showed my mighty hand !

It was then pointed out that a player at the side of the table had flat called his raise and was still to act.

He had 56 suited and of course called.

Happy ending though, K56 flop was followed by the 7 on the river.