You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should you just flat jj preflop or re-raise

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
hamster880 Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £36.27
FCB Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £37.73
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

URDADDY Raise  £1.20 £1.65 £36.39
Headup2 Fold     
Gunnarsten Fold     
nathan1983 Call  £1.20 £2.85 £8.01
hamster880 Raise  £4.65 £7.50 £31.62
FCB Fold     
URDADDY Call  £3.60 £11.10 £32.79
nathan1983 Call  £3.60 £14.70 £4.41
Flop

• A
  • K

hamster880 Check     
URDADDY Bet  £14.70 £29.40 £18.09
nathan1983 All-in  £4.41 £33.81 £0.00
hamster880 Fold     
URDADDY Unmatched bet  £10.29 £23.52 £28.38
URDADDY Show
  • A

nathan1983 Show
  • A

Turn

River

URDADDY Win Pair of Aces £11.17  £39.55
nathan1983 Win Pair of Aces £11.17  £11.17

Comments

• edited March 2011
    i personally always flat a raise with JJ unless in a tournament and short stacked but in cash i tend to flat and see a flop because if you 4 bet then some one 5 bets your 90% of the time going to fold before seeing a flop so flat calling is usually the best option then if you see a flop with over cards you can easily get off without putting another penny in.... or you can play like a guy i had on my table tuesday i had AA raised 4x on 20nl and he just shoved all in 100bb so i snapped and he hits a J on the river lol
  • edited March 2011
    Good question ! In tournaments I usually raise with JJ, and hope for a favourable flop. I have been doing the same in my attempts to play cash. But I would like to hear from some of the cash guys, how much does it depend on position etc ?
  • edited March 2011
    In this situation above i elected to re-raise as i knew both players were a little looser than others so thought might build the pot a little (and get maxium value if the flop is favourable - as you can see it wasnt).

With tens/nine i would definately flat (unless i had a definate read that the guy was really weak and i wanted to take down the pot their and then) - but jj i find the kind of cut off pair. Really find it difficult to judge especially if you are playing against an unknown.

You think though if you flat with jacks then you would also flat with AK?

I suspect on this their will be big difference between cash and tourney players.

• edited March 2011
    Lot of difference between JJ and AK. JJ is more of a made hand. In tournies AK is often a flat call having little value without the flop. Unless you have A 10/J/Q comfortably in his range
  • edited March 2011
    eithers ok.  as the deeper you get, generally its more of a call as you don't really wanna be getting into 4bet pots with JJ.

with 100bb vs a random 3betting with the intention of getting in is ok.  against a lot of nitty regs you should be playing JJ as you would 22 and just hope to flop a set and therefore its ok to flat, even 100bb deep
  • edited March 2011
    If I think I'm playing against an opponent who will respect the 3 bet I'll re raise, but if I dont feel like he's even going to entertain laying down AK/Q then I'll flat. 

On the occassion where you're crushed the extra bet gives you much needed info going to the flop.  If he has Q's upwards, and the flop comes 8 high, the extra bet gives you that much of a better feel for your opponents range.

But ultimately if your playing against someone who wont fold AK/Q, I turn JJ into 22 and ask myself how i'd play it.  For all intents and purposes your playing the same hand as on a 10 high flop your not folding a low pair if you believe he has A pic, nor are you folding the J's (excluding the wet boards).  If he didnt have A pic or a hand crushing you to begin wih, then it would always be an arror not to 3 bet anyhow.