You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is there anyway to fold this hand at start ot tournament

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
It the very first hand of a bounty hunter tournament.

I am delt pocket aces in the small blind, there is a limper just before the button, I make it 80 (blinds are 10 and 20) the big blind calls and so does the limper the flop comes 3s Jd 3h, as i am to act first i make a pot sized bet and the big blind folds the limper flat calls.

The turn comes 8c i make another pot size bet of 720 and again limper calls river comes 4s i move all in and get called by a Q3suited,

Should i have just checked on turn and see wot the limper does or have i played this correctly, i have no reads on opponent as it first hand, Also i had just been playing in another tourney and in two hands had aces and kings cracked by worse hand so may have been still a little upset.

IS there anything different i could have done

Comments

• edited March 2011
    For me your decision has to be made on the flop.  You lead on the turn again (quite rightly) and he flats again.  If you dont put yourself as being behind on the flop the only real indication that your wrong is the river jam, at which point it may be too late.  Are you check folding the turn? No, so leading out is the preffered play.  Ultimately this guy made a terrible pre flop call and got lucky, so whether you win or lose this hand kind of becomes immaterial.  You played the hand well, going for maximum value on each street.   Your crushing so many hands that you play this hand, this way 100 times your going to be very happy with the result. 

Guy can easily hold Q's AJ or such.  It just so happened on this occasion the guy getting frisky lucked out.
  • edited March 2011

No way I'm checking turn, you need to bet to get value from Jx hands, your should consider changing your bet sizing a bit thou imo, to something more standard (smaller).

• edited March 2011
    I would have been suspicious when the villian called your pot bet on the flop,however you have been unlucky to run into this hand.To be honest i think like yourself i would have lost my stack here.
  • edited March 2011
    he has Q3, so hes going to have almost every single jack there is, hand is played fine imo