You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

small pocket pairs under the gun

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Hi all i wonder if anyone can tell me how to play small pocket pairs under the gun in tournaments.Thanks.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Got to say I always limp, at 9 max.  Tight 6 max I may raise.  Always through away late in a tournament in high Blind structure, unless sat very deep.  Your going to like the flop so rarely and be stuck on rocky ground on the rest.
  • edited March 2011
    in tournaments i limp small pairs up to 8s and will usually call off a small raise, 9s up i 2.5-3x depending on table or if im short in a 2.20 deepstack with penguin7 to my left and im sb i shove my remaining stack with 5-4 into his QQ lol
  • edited March 2011
    Depends on the table. If its full of limpers then your limps fine. But if there are aggressive players about you will just be throwing chips away. A min raise UTG on a 6max table can sometimes be quite powerful.
  • edited March 2011
    Where you guys stand on the throw away of 5's and lower at a final table when having around 25BB's?  For me its always a fold UTG
  • edited March 2011

I dont like the min raise personally....

Depends on the table, if its aggressive then i will happily limp in with the intention to call a re-raise. the main purpose of pocket pairs is to hit a set so if u miss fold unless u have have a open ended straight draw as they play well.

If its a nitty table im happy to 3x raise, same if alot of people are limping i would raise standard as you will no doubt get implied odds with limpers etc

• edited March 2011
    just raise w/e, even utg in 6max. if you start limping specific hands it becomes easy to read, especially when you start going crazy on a 2 4 J flop.
  • edited March 2011
    Just speaking for myself I dont like it, just seems your putting yourself in a spot you dont really need to be in.  Your never folding to a proportionate raise, or a smallish stack jam.  Am talking when ran deep or final tabling mainly. Lousy way to over extend and kiss your game goodbye.
  • ybyb
    edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: small pocket pairs under the gun:
    just raise w/e, even utg in 6max. if you start limping specific hands it becomes easy to read, especially when you start going crazy on a 2 4 J flop.
    Posted by pryce6
    this, limping is bad.

raise size should depend on size of effective stacks, min raising can be fine when stacks are shallow.
  • edited March 2011
    Hi all thanks for  your advice i'll try to incorporate it into my game.