You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this hand a cooler or is it bad play

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
is this just a cooler or did i play this bad?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancehamster880Small blind £0.10£0.10£22.41Headup2Big blind £0.20£0.30£20.37xxxxxBig blind £0.20£0.50£19.80 Your hole cards7J   davon121Fold    Buffer26Call £0.20£0.70£21.10xxxxRaise £0.40£1.10£19.40nalotofdetCall £0.60£1.70£5.80hamster880Call £0.50£2.20£21.91Headup2Fold    Buffer26Call £0.40£2.60£20.70Flop  9J7   hamster880Bet £1.80£4.40£20.11Buffer26Fold    xxxxxAll-in £19.40£23.80£0.00nalotofdetFold    hamster880All-in £20.11£43.91£0.00hamster880Unmatched bet £2.51£41.40£2.51hamster880Show7J   xxxxxShowJJ   Turn  5   River  5   xxxxxWinFull House, Jacks and 5s£39.60 £39.6

Comments

• edited March 2011
    hate to say it mate!!! hung yourself pre flop by playing it. even then you are only beating an over pair. str on the board and the ob trips had you crushed.
  • edited March 2011
    I think for the value your getting from the small blind your right to call the extra 0.5 @ nearly 4 to 1.  You know hitting a naked J doesnt mean your likely to be ahead, but the two pair changes it up if you felt you were up against an over pair. 

But that flop is pretty darn drawy.   Bets tricky too, he re raises your £1.8 to maybe £3.9 - £5 I'm likely to be more spider sense a tingling than the instant jam.  Could easily be A'sK'sQ's, AJ or up and down draw variant.

I'd say cooler.  The only way you can get away is if you've played with this guy a fair amount and know how he's likely to play a certain hand.  Your beating the raisers range here, and the jam takes away any chance of getting abit more info.  The jam leans more towards the no free cards than I have a made hand bet.
    Nothing wrong with playing the suited gapper, well unless you get this type of flop.  Its cash, you want to see a relatively cheap flop there.
  • edited March 2011
    fold pre  flop is fine
  • edited March 2011
    fold pre because you are never going to connect enough then when you do you have to get paid its just to much of a gappy connector
  • edited March 2011

The only thing about folding preflop was that i was getting such good pot odds. I know my cards are rubbish but turning down that sort of odd seems wrong. I mean if i wasnt against a set (and their are plently of other hand combinations i beat) i would have got massively paided off for a very cheap call.

I had a similar thing with ace rag which turned out very favourably for me. A guy decided to slowplay and did a mim raise with his aj and i was in the big blind called and hit two pair (i got massively paided off). - So overall im not sure if the preflop call is profitable or not.

• edited March 2011
    Fold pre, even though your getting pot odds, getting invovled with these marginal hands can sometimes cost us money, this hand being a good example
  • edited March 2011
    we are getting roughly 3.5:1  and maybe J7cc has the equity to call (i doubt it) in a 4way pot but there are several problems with this

we are not closing the action. if the UTG limp/reraises goodbye 2.5bbs it super duper sucks when this happens.

we have to play postflop in the worst possible position with a suited 3 gapper that is currently jack high.

unless you have very good postflop reads its definately not profitable imo