You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Consistancy..?

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat
I've been playing on sky for about 4 months now, and i'd like to think i know what i'm doing at a poker table. however, i may be wrong, as i can't seem to put a good run together!

one day i will almost double my bankroll (only about £30/40/50 but i am in full time education!) and then the next day i will run extremely poorly and just not be able to win any pots for love nor money, even though i am sure that i am not playing any differently to when i am winning.

Any ideas on where i am going wrong?
cheers

Comments

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Consistancy..?:
    I've been playing on sky for about 4 months now, and i'd like to think i know what i'm doing at a poker table. however, i may be wrong, as i can't seem to put a good run together! one day i will almost double my bankroll (only about £30/40/50 but i am in full time education!) and then the next day i will run extremely poorly and just not be able to win any pots for love nor money, even though i am sure that i am not playing any differently to when i am winning. Any ideas on where i am going wrong? cheers
    Posted by 4444444
    we all have good days and bad days. but the thing is knowing when to stop for the day and have a break if things aren't going your way. Playing to try and chase back losses never works and puts you on tilt IMO
  • edited March 2011
    Hi 4444444444, welcome

it really does depend what ur playing mate, if its MTT's then thats higher variance . if cash again its hard unless you give us more info. I do recommend if u post some hands in the clinic or tell us what u have been playing and whether u stick to set buy ins or not really as that makes a big difference, anyways best of luck at the tables

John
  • edited March 2011
    I've been playing on sky for about 4 months now, and i'd like to think i know what i'm doing at a poker table. however, i may be wrong, as i can't seem to put a good run together! one day i will almost double my bankroll (only about £30/40/50 but i am in full time education!) and then the next day i will run extremely poorly and just not be able to win any pots for love nor money, even though i am sure that i am not playing any differently to when i am winning. Any ideas on where i am going wrong? cheers
    Posted by 4444444
    Hi 4444444 - my personal experience over last 3 months. Am fairly tight aggro, but mix it up a bit.  I achieved nada for 10 weeks.  Then had 3 back to back cashes in main events (2 final tables) last week.  I did nothing different.

Swings and roundabouts, have confidence in your game.  Try and get your money in good and you'll be fine.

You are not, in my opinion
    going wrong
  • edited March 2011
    Varience

If your doubling your bankroll in a day sometimes, your definatly not using any kind of bankroll managment and no amount of skill is going to stop you from going busto.
  • edited March 2011
    Posted by 4444444
    "i am in full time education"

That explains it! When I was a student I got sloshed every other day! I can only assume that the students of today are maintaining this fine tradition.
    Ale+poker = bad idea.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Consistancy..?:
    In Response to Consistancy..? : "i am in full time education" That explains it! When I was a student I got sloshed every other day! I can only assume that the students of today are maintaining this fine tradition. Ale+poker = bad idea.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Unless your the one sober player at the table:))
  • edited March 2011
    Hi 4444444444, welcome it really does depend what ur playing mate, if its MTT's then thats higher variance . if cash again its hard unless you give us more info. I do recommend if u post some hands in the clinic or tell us what u have been playing and whether u stick to set buy ins or not really as that makes a big difference, anyways best of luck at the tables John
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    I play mainly cash tables at 5p/10p and try to buy in at around 50 BB's. i have been wondering if i am playing too many hands. is there any sense in playing literally AA, KK OR AK? or is that too conservative? thanks
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Consistancy..? : I play mainly cash tables at 5p/10p and try to buy in at around 50 BB's. i have been wondering if i am playing too many hands. is there any sense in playing literally AA, KK OR AK? or is that too conservative? thanks
    Posted by 4444444
    You will be losing out on so much value only playing top 1.5% of hands and cant say anyone can turn a profit only playing the hands you mentioned (btw QQ /> AK)

Only reason I can think of playing them hands exclusivly would be if your an absolute beginner trying to learn the game from scrtach, even then its way to tight.