You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a profitable call over time?

Cash table, i have posted the big blind and turn over cards that i dont bother with at all normally. Basically, player 'x' literally calls everything and is involved in every hand, playing with 'fun equity'. I check from Big Blind hoping for a miracle flop already thinking about getting out of the way and not wasting money on this if i dont hit anything. Two hearts come and suddenly i hit a flush draw, i am still not happy as i havent exactly got the nut flush if i hit. This is a situation i didnt want to be in but since i am i think i may as well try to build the pot in case i hit. Well i hit and put a small raise in to find out where i am then this happens.

Player 'y' is a player i have come across before and usually puts a big bet in when he hits a decent hand so when i hit my flush and think i am ahead he fires a clear signal that he has something, i instantly put him on the flush but his range easily includes a possible straight as player 'y' can be loose enough to be interested with 8,10 suited if allowed to limp.

I basically hate this hand and how it played but sat in the big blind i dont feel like i can fold here pre-flop and am not comfortable raising with these cards so is a check OK? Should i fold on the turn or is it profitable to call here over time? Also, i feel like i am behind on the turn, so check the river, should i have fired again to control the pot in case of another big raise and how much would that have been? I didnt because i didnt want him to come over the top. I wanted to get to the showdown relatively cheaply. Dont hold back guys. (i know you wont!!)

Hand History #353767948 (18:51 20/03/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
tosca21 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.96
DrSharp Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.82
  Your hole cards

Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.90
Call  £0.04 £0.14 £3.20
halifax73 Call  £0.04 £0.18 £3.68
doublen Call  £0.04 £0.22 £0.52
tosca21 Call  £0.02 £0.24 £2.94
DrSharp Check     
Flop

tosca21 Check     
DrSharp Bet  £0.08 £0.32 £3.74
Call  £0.08 £0.40 £2.82
Call  £0.08 £0.48 £3.12
halifax73 Fold     
doublen Call  £0.08 £0.56 £0.44
tosca21 Fold     
Turn

• J

DrSharp Bet  £0.16 £0.72 £3.58
Call  £0.16 £0.88 £2.66
Raise  £1.20 £2.08 £1.92
doublen Fold     
DrSharp Call  £1.04 £3.12 £2.54
Call  £1.04 £4.16 £1.62
River

DrSharp Check     
Check     
Check     
DrSharp Show

Muck
  • Q
  • K

Show
  • Q

Win Flush to the Queen £3.84  £5.76

Comments

• edited March 2011
    u really hav to raise pre,get rid of some limpers,bet bigger on the flop,u gave your opponent 5/1.you say u put out a small bet on turn to find out where you are??.well u get your answer.he gives you odds of 2/1 u call.Think u know your behind so you chck the river. its a learning curve.

1 raise pre

2 bet more flop 21p ?

3 fold to the raise.

wish i could follow my own advice,i would hav prob lost my stack lol
  • edited March 2011
    No offence judge but raising pre would be a terrible, terrible move.

Anyway, to the OP. If you are going to take the betting lead in the hand by betting your draw, bet it more aggressively than you did.
  • edited March 2011

would like to know why it would be terrible to raise,with 5 limpers in the pot

• edited March 2011
    That many people see the flop you have tyo question any action when holding the low/mid flush.
  • edited March 2011
    Drsharp, I wouldnt worry to much about the hand, flush over flush can usually be put down as a cooler.
    tbh you got off lucky on the river, player y missed a very easy value bet, god knows what the KQ was doing here.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Is this a profitable call over time?:
    would like to know why it would be terrible to raise,with 5 limpers in the pot
    Posted by thejudge10
    squeezing from the bb with a trash hand into a million opponents is bad, all your raises there should  be for value
  • edited March 2011
    u really hav to raise pre,get rid of some limpers,bet bigger on the flop,u gave your opponent 5/1.you say u put out a small bet on turn to find out where you are??.well u get your answer.he gives you odds of 2/1 u call.Think u know your behind so you chck the river. its a learning curve. 1 raise pre 2 bet more flop 21p ? 3 fold to the raise. wish i could follow my own advice,i would hav prob lost my stack lol
    Posted by thejudge10
    1. why? theres 4 limpersand you dont have a great hand, hes also on big blind so theres always a chance 1 or more are gonna call and your out of position for the rest of the hand.
    2. i dont know about betting flop at all, its 5 way fairly coordinated board, personally i would check call

to the OP was you prepared to check call or check fold river, you had a good read on your opponent but i still think im doing my stack on this board as flush v flush doesnt happen often
  • edited March 2011
    thanks for the explanation guys ,much appreciaited
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Is this a profitable call over time? : 1. why? theres 4 limpersand you dont have a great hand, hes also on big blind so theres always a chance 1 or more are gonna call and your out of position for the rest of the hand. 2. i dont know about betting flop at all, its 5 way fairly coordinated board, personally i would check call to the OP was you prepared to check call or check fold river, you had a good read on your opponent but i still think im doing my stack on this board as flush v flush doesnt happen often
    Posted by TINTIN
    Firstly, thanks for the response guys.

TinTin, i had resigned myself to check call mode hoping to get to showdown cheaply. Which i did. Could'nt check fold otherwise i may as well fold the turn. Hate it when so many limpers and sat on BB with rubbish. Always seems to get me in this sort of trouble.

• edited March 2011
    No offence judge but raising pre would be a terrible, terrible move. Anyway, to the OP. If you are going to take the betting lead in the hand by betting your draw, bet it more aggressively than you did.
    Posted by CLIOKID
    Hi CLIOKID. With it being a mid flush, i wasnt sure i was infront and i think it shows throughout the hand, not an excuse but thats why i put the smaller bet in. I take it onboard. I look very indecisive with my betting. The call on the turn was really difficult as i had the feeling i was behind here.