You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO Question - Did I lose value by betting strong?

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Here's the hand (yeah yeah, run good splashed all over my face here).

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceJohn_BanksSmall blind£0.50£0.50£145.65TommyDBig blind £1.00£1.50£178.02jakallySit out     Your hole cards4KQ2   vCall £1.00£2.50£108.30John_BanksCall £0.50£3.00£145.15TommyDCheck    Flop  442   John_BanksCheck    TommyDBet £3.00£6.00£175.02vCall £3.00£9.00£105.30John_BanksFold    Turn  4   TommyDBet £9.00£18.00£166.02vCall £9.00£27.00£96.30River  K   TommyDBet £27.00£54.00£139.02vCall £27.00£81.00£69.30TommyDShow4KQ2   vMuck10959   TommyDWinFour 4s£80.10 £219.12

Ok so here's my question.  I've potted and been called from the flop on.  One way to look at it is I have gotten the max.  However to look deeper, this being pot limit and therefore restricting my betting, is there a case for risking value by either checking or betting smaller to induce a bet from the villain?  In this case there was no reads on the villain.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    In my (quite limited) PLO knowledge, the best way to get value is to pot at every opportunity when you have a big hand. The danger of someone checking behind you can destroy your action if you check and they check behind, and a check raise might lose your customer altogether- people seem quite fond of the fact that check/calling controls the size of the pot, so force them to pay the maximum every street. There's so many combinations of good hands in omaha that less experienced players (like 99% of those playing omaha) will overplay a hand which would be strong in holdem (like top pair, top 2, 6 high flush, nut flush on a paired board) and you'll make a killing. But most of these donks won't do anything more than check/call.

Villain is a megadonk, can't believe you got 3 streets of value out of him- I'd have been gone on the flop. Looks like a calling station, so the second you check, I bet my life he checks behind and you've lost £27 of value.

If he really has got a big hand worth playing, he probably raises himself whether you pot it or not.
  • edited March 2011

Isn't everything the villain has done in this hand really really bad????
  • edited March 2011
       For me when betting in omaha pot size is always the way to go whether with a made hand or a draw. This ensures maximum payment when you hit big and also disguises your hand totally if it is known that you always do it. In this case looking at the opponents hand there is no way that he would be betting out here and went into check/call mode to see if he was good. So for me there was no way of getting anymore value out of this hand because unless the opponent was a complete fool then he would be checking behind if you slowed down.

In answer to JJ's question about the opponents play. Let us consider what he could have put tommy on with his betting. No raise pre so a big PP was probably not in the mix which means on that flop he was betting out with either a 4 or 22.This being the case calling to hit the 9 was a little fishy but not overly bad. The turn card is the one that hurt him the most because it made it less likely that tommy had a 4 and if he had 22 then he has just outdrawn him so he calls hoping it was 22 and not a 4 whilst keeping pot control just in case. The river is a blank so rinse and repeat from the turn.So it was not overly bad play by the opponent in this hand.