You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Just had my first game of Omaha

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat
Now it was a mistake actually as I hadn't noticed it was a Omaha DYM. I realised once I was sat down and got dealt four hole cards that I saw Omaha in big letters.

Anyway there was no backing out then so I quickly googled the basic rules again whilst folding every hand in the meantime.

Once i'd sussed it and got my head around having to use two hole cards to make each hand I really enjoyed it.

Managed to cash too which was a bonus.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Congratulations on the cash.

Reading glasses FTW:))
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks, didn't dare mention anything in chat as I thought all the players would pick on the noob.

I thought it was a bug at first when four hole cards came flying at me.

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Just had my first game of Omaha:
    Now it was a mistake actually as I hadn't noticed it was a Omaha DYM. I realised once I was sat down and got dealt four hole cards that I saw Omaha in big letters. Anyway there was no backing out then so I quickly googled the basic rules again whilst folding every hand in the meantime. Once i'd sussed it and got my head around having to use two hole cards to make each hand I really enjoyed it. Managed to cash too which was a bonus.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Its great fun live! Fox poker club in London has a round of each tournament on a Weds night, the standard of Omaha play is quite weak resulting in final table the 2 times I have played it!

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Just had my first game of Omaha:
    Now it was a mistake actually as I hadn't noticed it was a Omaha DYM. I realised once I was sat down and got dealt four hole cards that I saw Omaha in big letters. Anyway there was no backing out then so I quickly googled the basic rules again whilst folding every hand in the meantime. Once i'd sussed it and got my head around having to use two hole cards to make each hand I really enjoyed it. Managed to cash too which was a bonus.
    Posted by AcidMan27

99.9% of all Sky Omaha players start in that exact same way lol

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Just had my first game of Omaha:
    In Response to Just had my first game of Omaha : Its great fun live! Fox poker club in London has a round of each tournament on a Weds night, the standard of Omaha play is quite weak resulting in final table the 2 times I have played it!
    Posted by SolarCarro
    I think my biggest problem would be remembering my four hole cards! Would definitely have to keep checking after every street is dealt.

• edited March 2011
    I quite like the Omaha DYMs. The play is (in my experience) very different to NLHE. I find most play every hand (limp) and when they raise PF they have a strong Hold 'em hand.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Just had my first game of Omaha : Its great fun live! Fox poker club in London has a round of each tournament on a Weds night, the standard of Omaha play is quite weak resulting in final table the 2 times I have played it!
    Posted by SolarCarro
    This is why they want us to try Omaha, the players that know the game have a bigger edge than they do at holdem, so if you aren't a decent Omaha player don't play unless you don't mind losing.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Just had my first game of Omaha : This is why they want us to try Omaha, the players that know the game have a bigger edge than they do at holdem, so if you aren't a decent Omaha player don't play unless you don't mind losing.
    Posted by stien

Nonsense nonsense,  come on in the waters fine  ( Evil Cackle ) ;o)

• edited March 2011
    The only thing worse than joining an Omaha table by mistake is joining a Limit Holdem table. I entered a tournament with 2000 entrants and realised after it started that it was Limit. I lasted (with a couple of snoozes) for 4 hours and didn't even cash :o(   It was the most boring, fish inducing, limp inducing game imaginable.

Well done on the Omaha cash.
  • edited March 2011
    The only thing worse than joining an Omaha table by mistake is joining a Limit Holdem table. I entered a tournament with 2000 entrants and realised after it started that it was Limit. I lasted (with a couple of snoozes) for 4 hours and didn't even cash :o(   It was the most boring, fish inducing, limp inducing game imaginable. Well done on the Omaha cash.
    Posted by elsadog
    Monster field Limit Hold'em MTTs are evil. Fact. This is weird... I think I just agreed with Elsadog on something :P

And yes, well done on the Omaha cash!
  • edited March 2011
    I think I just agreed with Elsadog on something :P, you must have been overdoing the Lemsips again Dave sigh ;)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Just had my first game of Omaha : Monster field Limit Hold'em MTTs are evil. Fact. This is weird... I think I just agreed with Elsadog on something :P And yes, well done on the Omaha cash!
    Posted by Sky_Dave

Retract that immediately .......... How dare you agree with me???!!!!

I have an image to maintain, now take it back at once!

• edited March 2011
    The PLO DYMs were bad enough prior to the update that terminated the games once cashed. Without the all-in option it was raise, raise, raise, raise, raise, raise, raise..... split pot. lol
  • edited March 2011
    I quite like the Omaha DYMs. The play is (in my experience) very different to NLHE. I find most play every hand (limp) and when they raise PF they have a strong Hold 'em hand.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    I did notice that exact same style of play.

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Just had my first game of Omaha : I did notice that exact same style of play.
    Posted by AcidMan27

Until someone gets short stacked.......  then he shoves, shoves, shoves.....  knowing that very few players will call an all in shove pre flop in Omaha.

Probably why they say PLO is more skilled 

• edited March 2011
    well done on your cash and try to keep playing the game. You will find the thrill of flopping the nuts and being called down 3 streets by a NLHE player who has hit TPTK.