You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Too tight a fold?

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
This was a deepstack tournament and i had a fairly good read on the villan,he had played very few hands and the hands he had played he had folded to fairly standard bets.However in this hand where i called from the small-blind and he checked in the big-blind he played this very aggressively,i folded putting him on a 9 with a better kicker than me.

Do you think i should have called and taken my chances.

Spikelad Small blind  20.00 20.00 5045.00
Ramakins Big blind  40.00 60.00 10262.50
  Your hole cards
  • J

lozanlew Fold     
Wilhelm Fold     
POKERTREV Fold     
Tydalwave Fold     
Spikelad Call  20.00 80.00 5025.00
Ramakins Check     
Flop

Spikelad Check     
Ramakins Bet  40.00 120.00 10222.50
Spikelad Raise  80.00 200.00 4945.00
Ramakins Call  40.00 240.00 10182.50
Turn

Spikelad Check     
Ramakins Bet  180.00 420.00 10002.50
Spikelad Raise  360.00 780.00 4585.00
Ramakins All-in  10002.50 10782.50 0.00
Spikelad Fold     
Ramakins Muck     
Ramakins Win  960.00  960.00
Ramakins Return  9822.50 0.00 10782.50

Comments

• edited March 2011
    On the flop I'd probably just call his 40 bet, minraising doesn't really give you any information.

On turn after he bets 180 I'd raise to around 450-500 and then snap off the shove. You have 4.5k he only has 1k he can't hurt you.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Too tight a fold?:
    On the flop I'd probably just call his 40 bet, minraising doesn't really give you any information. On turn after he bets 180 I'd raise to around 450-500 and then snap off the shove. You have 4.5k he only has 1k he can't hurt you.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Think you missed one of the noughts !
  • edited March 2011
    I don't fold.

But I don't like folding :-)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Too tight a fold? : Think you missed one of the noughts !
    Posted by clubhammer
    LOL oh yh well maybe more of a decision then for 100+ blinds but I'd still probably snap depending on the buyin.
  • edited March 2011
    I think i posted a similar hand the other day with 3 aces and got outkicked. With the info given, him playing very few hands, i tend to agree and maybe think he has you outkicked. I still call though, it has to be the good decision over time does'nt it?

Other than that, its a possible fold pre when OOP, maybe a bit nitty but thats me. If your going to play the hand then why not raise pre-flop? If he is a tightish player he probably throws away his A9, K9,Q9 if you have a go does'nt he? Also, if you are gonna raise the flop i make it bigger but i dont see too much wrong here. I would have called and then sulked for the next half hour!
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks for the replies,Dudeskin it is a micro stakes tournament so the buyin is not a factor here,i am just trying to make the right decision.Having said that i am really interested in Dr Sharp's advice when he says "I still call though,it has to be the good decision over time."

The next time i think i will just say it is one of those hands you just have to go broke on.Also got to say if he was bluffing me well done.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks for the replies,Dudeskin it is a micro stakes tournament so the buyin is not a factor here,i am just trying to make the right decision.Having said that i am really interested in Dr Sharp's advice when he says "I still call though,it has to be the good decision over time." The next time i think i will just say it is one of those hands you just have to go broke on.Also got to say if he was bluffing me well done.
    Posted by Spikelad
    You missed the question mark after this statement. I think it would be the right call over time but maybe one or two of the regulars can back this up?
  • edited March 2011
    Never fold here.
    Would he have shoved with the house? No. So he's got two diamonds or 78 or something like that. Even if he hits his hand, you've still got outs to your own house. If he has a bigger jack, then good luck to him. Just load up on another table.

IMO Your fold was too tight.