You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Too aggressive?

Right, player 'x' is very loose and very aggressive and calls everything (same one as my other thread if anyone read it). Had pocket 2's, decent raise pre flop from a player but decided to call due to the nature of the table and decided i had the implied odds here. Is this an ok call?

Ok, hit my set on the flop but with the flush draw there i was a bit worried with 4 players left in. Knowing i probably had a customer in 'x' i move all in to try and secure the pot. Is this a correct play, even without 'x' around?

Here is the hand.....

Hand History #354364580 (17:04 22/03/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
weeburns07 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.55
iceylies Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.48
  Your hole cards

FISH_Soup Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.16
DrSharp Call  £0.04 £0.14 £5.66
xCall  £0.04 £0.18 £1.56
scrogie Raise  £0.12 £0.30 £2.31
weeburns07 Raise  £0.18 £0.48 £1.37
iceylies Fold     
FISH_Soup Fold     
DrSharp Call  £0.16 £0.64 £5.50
xCall  £0.16 £0.80 £1.40
scrogie Call  £0.08 £0.88 £2.23
Flop

• K

weeburns07 Check     
DrSharp All-in  £5.50 £6.38 £0.00
xAll-in  £1.40 £7.78 £0.00
scrogie Fold     
weeburns07 Fold     
DrSharp Unmatched bet  £4.10 £3.68 £4.10
DrSharp Show

xShow
  • K

Turn

River

DrSharp Win Three 2s £3.40
Thoughts please.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Preflop looks fine, no point raising at these limits. But on flop the pots 88p, why not just 60-70p? I can't see what shoving does other than fold out anything that hasn't hit.

K7 should of course fold but it's 4NL so they're not gonna be folding top pair all that often. But with shoving all in you don't allow any hands to call for draws as they have to commit whole stack to it and some (even the worst calling stations) will get scared off. Defo too big on flop for me. ;)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Too aggressive?:
    Preflop looks fine, no point raising at these limits. But on flop the pots 88p, why not just 60-70p? I can't see what shoving does other than fold out anything that hasn't hit. K7 should of course fold but it's 4NL so they're not gonna be folding top pair all that often. But with shoving all in you don't allow any hands to call for draws as they have to commit whole stack to it and some (even the worst calling stations) will get scared off. Defo too big on flop for me. ;)
    Posted by Dudeskin8

Dudeskin can you please explain mate what you mean when you say no point raising at these limits.
  • edited March 2011
    Well you can raise if you want to but with these baby pairs 22 - 88 imo it's very hard to play post flop if you don't hit your set, especially if your OOP like here and any C bet will be hard to get through as most fish will snap off with ANY pair.

Whereas if you limp for a small price of 1 blind or a 5x raise in this case (that might be too much or maybe just on the cusp) then you can win a massive pot if you hit against someone who can't fold a 1 pair over pair.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks Dudeskin a really good concise answer,thank you.I did not understand what you meant but i do now.

What i thought you were advocating was never to raise at this level with any hand.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks Dudeskin a really good concise answer,thank you.I did not understand what you meant but i do now. What i thought you were advocating was never to raise at this level with any hand.
    Posted by Spikelad
    LOL no, that would be a very bad way to play, if anything the FOLD button is your biggest friend at this level.
  • edited March 2011
    Hi dudeskin, am i not to be concerned about the two spades on the flop on a four handed table? The pot is already 22BB and i was thinking i should ship here to secure it after a fairly slippy flop safe in the knowledge that with the King thrown in that i might get a caller to boot.

If i value bet, am i not pricing the others in for the flush or am i paranoid on a 4 handed table?
  • edited March 2011
    Hi dudeskin, am i not to be concerned about the two spades on the flop on a four handed table? The pot is already 22BB and i was thinking i should ship here to secure it after a fairly slippy flop safe in the knowledge that with the King thrown in that i might get a caller to boot. If i value bet, am i not pricing the others in for the flush or am i paranoid on a 4 handed table?
    Posted by DrSharp
    LOL this is exactly how I used to play cash and one of the reasons why I stopped, you're so desperate to grab the 22 BB's in the middle your forgetting that when you flop sets you simply HAVE to make hay, a 3/4-pot bet means that if they call they're making a bad call and if you get outdrawn it doesn't matter as you will win more often OVER TIME.

Just try and play your hands how you normally would and don't fear the beats, I know it's hard but it's the only way you'll win money long term.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Too aggressive? : LOL this is exactly how I used to play cash and one of the reasons why I stopped, you're so desperate to grab the 22 BB's in the middle your forgetting that when you flop sets you simply HAVE to make hay, a 3/4-pot bet means that if they call they're making a bad call and if you get outdrawn it doesn't matter as you will win more often OVER TIME. Just try and play your hands how you normally would and don't fear the beats, I know it's hard but it's the only way you'll win money long term.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I know thats sound advice dudeskin, thankyou. That pretty much sums up what i thought after i played this hand. Was'nt happy with 4 handed, it usually stacks me! lol. I have taken it on board.
  • edited March 2011
    DrSharp i have played against you a few times and i am amazed at your play here.My notes on you are that you are a solid player at this level and you really know where you are in a hand.I have even got you down as being a bit nitty and then you do this lol.

I cant add anymore advice other than agree with what Dudeskin has said.
  • edited March 2011
    To answer the questions:
    1. Not only was your call OK, it was mandatory. Those who say 'raise' or 'never limp' have never played at these levels. Your call is fine.
    2. The shove......now theoretically your play is awful. Once you hit your set you have to be willing to put all your money in, but how you get it in is the question.
    I would prefer to build the pot. However, I know that playing at these levels, just shoving the lot in when you hit a set actually works. Again, the afacionados will say this is a bad play, but again I know that it works at these levels. (Incidentally, it works as well at much higher levels, but for different reasons).

IMO - you played it OK.

• edited March 2011
    yeah, speak to jj!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited March 2011
    DrSharp i have played against you a few times and i am amazed at your play here.My notes on you are that you are a solid player at this level and you really know where you are in a hand.I have even got you down as being a bit nitty and then you do this lol. I cant add anymore advice other than agree with what Dudeskin has said.
    Posted by Spikelad
    Lol spike. Not sure how to take that!!
  • edited March 2011
    yeah, speak to jj!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by pod1
    Lol. I must admit that hand was on my mind as i played this. Worked for me Dohhhhhh!