You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL 20, 2 decisions...

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
1) NL 20, no reads. I raise from the bb after 3 limpers and the original limper calls. I flop tpgk and bet accordingly. I still think I'm ahead when I get flatted. The turn brings the Kc. I don't put my oppenent on a flush because what 2 clubs could he reasonably be holding, not many really I don't think. He puts in a strong bet though and I start to think AK is a real possibility in which case I'm dead, so what should I be doing now? Also, should I have just barrelled the turn, given that I don't think he has a flush and I'm out of position. (If I was in position, maybe I could check it back for pot control without showing weakness and potentially facing bets just based on that weakness?) As it is I don't know if he's just floated me or genuinely has the best hand?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceIVISONSmall blind £0.10£0.10£19.48JohnConnorBig blind £0.20£0.30£18.90 Your hole cardsQA   frank3171Fold    grenfishCall £0.20£0.50£37.14ebygumCall £0.20£0.70£20.27davecrow27Fold    IVISONCall £0.10£0.80£19.38JohnConnorRaise £1.00£1.80£17.90grenfishCall £1.00£2.80£36.14ebygumFold    IVISONFold    Flop  A48   JohnConnorBet £1.70£4.50£16.20grenfishCall £1.70£6.20£34.44Turn  K   JohnConnorCheck    grenfishBet £4.65£10.85£29.79JohnConnor

2) I called the bet on the flop and the river brought an A for trips. Should I bet this for value oop or check/call? I hear that nits lose loads of value by not value betting certain spots, is this one of those? (Is it clearly one of those?)

Any help greatly appreciated, JC.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    flop sizing should be a little bigger.

definitely bet turn yourself but your logic is flawed when you say he can't have many flushes as micro players love limping w/ any two suited and therefore can have plenty of combos so it should definitely be in your mind.

also don't think about 20nl players floating pots to take away on later streets as it's such a miniscule percentage the chance of it happening that you shouldn't even be exercising that thought process.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: NL 20, 2 decisions...:
    flop sizing should be a little bigger. definitely bet turn yourself but your logic is flawed when you say he can't have many flushes as micro players love limping w/ any two suited and therefore can have plenty of combos so it should definitely be in your mind. also don't think about 20nl players floating pots to take away on later streets as it's such a miniscule percentage the chance of it happening that you shouldn't even be exercising that thought process.
    Posted by zing
    Thanks for your advice Zing (and on the other one), really helpful. With regards to the highlighted bit, is this really true as it seems to be happening all the time? When an opponent in position flats the flop and then bets the turn when I check, then, is it more likely they're merely overvaluing their own hands? Should I be double barrelling more with tpgk etc at NL20 rather than looking to exercise pot control oop with these hands? Obviously it will be dependant but what's my general approach?
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: NL 20, 2 decisions...:
    In Response to Re: NL 20, 2 decisions... : Thanks for your advice Zing (and on the other one), really helpful. With regards to the highlighted bit, is this really true as it seems to be happening all the time? When an opponent in position flats the flop and then bets the turn when I check, then, is it more likely they're merely overvaluing their own hands? Should I be double barrelling more with tpgk etc at NL20 rather than looking to exercise pot control oop with these hands? Obviously it will be dependant but what's my general approach?
    Posted by JohnConnor
    lol! - You will need to get used to this feeling playing cash.

I ALWAYS think I'm being floated all the time. I pull my hair out, it tilts me worse than a bad beat (or most bad beats anyway ;)

Stick to abc until you know the players, then you can use reads to find spots to "play back" at ppl who "float" all the time.

I think what zing means is at this level if someome is flatting you on the flop in position, it's never with air or the intention of bluffing the turn/river -  the flop has always hit them either giving them a pair, or some sort of draw, and of course, they don't like to fold any sort of draw. 

Double barrelling for value with 1 pair is fine - as long as your playing a solid range of hands pre flop, and are aware of position/relative hand values/board texture/reverse implied odds then you arent going to get into too much trouble. 

All the above is very basic stuff for someone of your ability. 

When you start getting reads on players (wont take long, there arent that many players!!) then you can start to outplay people, c bet with the the nuts, and if he's floating you all the time to take it away on the turn, you can c/r turn etc....or whatever ur notes tell u to do.

I deffo think u shud go from 20nl straight to 40/50nl though - No point in anyone good wasting their time at 30nl imo.

• edited March 2011
    Cheers, JJ that's really great advice mate, I fully understand what you're saying and it's really helpful.

Lol at the last bit mate. I'll be seeing you at NL30 if I get out of NL20. Tbh I'm aiming to progress just as quickly as possible but with a min. of 10k hands at each level. Just depends how far I'm capable of taking it I guess. If not, more dym joy...