You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Been made redundant

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat
Not looking for any sympathy, but once finances have been sorted out it leaves a few bob to create a poker bankroll.

Will probably be hitting the tables big stylie and getting a snippet of what the grind is like for the pro's allbeit at lower stakes.

The plan is to carry on studying and getting another job unless I get too good at this game, who knows !

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Sorry to hear that mate.

Do try keep your head up, knuckle down with studying and get yourself another job.

If poker turns out well then stick to what you feel comfortable with, always have a back up though!

Best of luck man.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Been made redundant:
    Sorry to hear that mate. Do try keep your head up, knuckle down with studying and get yourself another job. If poker turns out well then stick to what you feel comfortable with, always have a back up though! Best of luck man.
    Posted by Ads2kuk

Top advice
  • edited March 2011
    i know the feeling unemployment sucks i'm sure you will get back on ya feet sooner or later though good luck with the studying and grinding
  • edited March 2011
    Hope you get back on track asap man!!
    Please concentrate on the job front and build on your CV through various training opportunities etc
    Maybe try Volunteering, always looks good when trying to stand out etc
    Obviously keep playing a bit of poker on the side but imo put 99% of your efforts into your study and searching for a job!! 

If money isn't as important to you i.e. no mortgage, little ones, bills etc etc then gl at having a crack at the pokerz :D
  • edited March 2011
    Hope you get back on track asap man!! Please concentrate on the job front and build on your CV through various training opportunities etc Maybe try Volunteering, always looks good when trying to stand out etc Obviously keep playing a bit of poker on the side but imo put 99% of your efforts into your study and searching for a job!!  If money isn't as important to you i.e. no mortgage, little ones, bills etc etc then gl at having a crack at the pokerz :D
    Posted by dylan12
    It is - he's well old!!!

GTFO the husngs gooner!!! Job centre first thing tomorrow morning!!! 

;)

Ul about the job mind, didnt realise u were working alongside studying, u still get more C4P than me!

Y'ou'll be alr8 - if the worst comes to the worst, I'll re-match you instead of declining and you can beat me 5/6 times instead of just once or twice.

gl m8, chin/s up.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Been made redundant : It is - he's well old!!! GTFO the husngs gooner!!! Job centre first thing tomorrow morning!!!  ;) Ul about the job mind, didnt realise u were working alongside studying, u still get more C4P than me! Y'ou'll be alr8 - if the worst comes to the worst, I'll re-match you instead of declining and you can beat me 5/6 times instead of just once or twice. gl m8, chin/s up.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

I have to go to that hell hole in the morning big £103.51 every 2 weeks to go to a job centre for 20 seconds then leave waste of my life lol
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Been made redundant : I have to go to that hell hole in the morning big £103.51 every 2 weeks to go to a job centre for 20 seconds then leave waste of my life lol
    Posted by delaney09
    I have taken out redundancy cover so wont be signing on. Ive been at my gaff for 10 years so hopefully will get a reasonable payoff.

Dohhhh I will be grinding away when I get the time, hopefully will have a few months off to study and play poker.

As I work in financial services, I will look for work in that field, although a summer of poker and study does appeal !
  • edited March 2011
    Sorry to hear that, it's awful to be made redundant. It's happened to me four times now.
  • edited March 2011
    sorry to hear about ur job m8,i think u should go 4 the arsenal goalkeeping job,im sure your get it,all the best m8.
  • edited March 2011
     all the best mate you wont get the arsenal job stevie wonders just got it
  • edited March 2011
    Really sorry to hear buddy, as one door closes another opens so best of luck with everything and no doubt see u at the tables :)
  • edited March 2011
    Yeh YG got sacked not long back, at least u get a pay off.

And your skope graph is much better.

F yg's L
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Been made redundant:
    Not looking for any sympathy, but once finances have been sorted out it leaves a few bob to create a poker bankroll. Will probably be hitting the tables big stylie and getting a snippet of what the grind is like for the pro's allbeit at lower stakes. The plan is to carry on studying and getting another job unless I get too good at this game, who knows !
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Please don't even consider taking your redundancy money and trying to gamble it into a living.
    Don't do it.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeh YG got sacked not long back, at least u get a pay off. And your skope graph is much better. F yg's L
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Cheers bud lol pwn'd
  • edited March 2011
    GL to you Acegooner and im sure you will be just fine xx
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Been made redundant : Please don't even consider taking your redundancy money and trying to gamble it into a living. Don't do it.
    Posted by BigBluster
    Dont worry, most of the money will go towards creating the buffer for not having an income for a few months. It certainly wont be more than a few hundred quid making its way into my poker account. I dont expect to have to deposit anymore, as Dohhhh says, take a look at my scope graph!

By the way I am a financial adviser by profession, so if anyone knows about financial discipline, its me!

I will be studying for the diploma in financial planning which is a degree level qualification. It is highly sought after and will open up a lot of oppurtunities.

• edited March 2011
    Financial adviser ? pfffft that's easy..........Don't take out more than what you've got coming in.

That will be £1000 please.

: )

(this forum needs smileys)
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Been made redundant:
    Not looking for any sympathy, but once finances have been sorted out it leaves a few bob to create a poker bankroll. Will probably be hitting the tables big stylie and getting a snippet of what the grind is like for the pro's allbeit at lower stakes. The plan is to carry on studying and getting another job unless I get too good at this game, who knows !
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    bonus!.....forced into becoming a poker pro through circumstances.
    start off well and pay the bills and you are laughing,then if you get really good you may be able to buy a arsenal season ticket :)

the serious bit..........keep up the studies even if you start off well.
    variance will defo kick in at some point.
    And boredom may even kick in at some point(unless you get so good you end up playing all over the world).

gl,dave
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Been made redundant : bonus! .....forced into becoming a poker pro through circumstances. start off well and pay the bills and you are laughing,then if you get really good you may be able to buy a arsenal season ticket :) the serious bit..........keep up the studies even if you start off well. variance will defo kick in at some point. And boredom may even kick in at some point(unless you get so good you end up playing all over the world). gl,dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    Thanks davey for your tips. As for the arsenal season ticket I am a bond holder and have had a season ticket for over 20 years! I may not renew next season but I know a lot of gooners so getting tickets wont be a problem.

For the poker, this is like an experiment for me. The exams will be the insurance for my future, if I start making good money at the poker, then thats another option although I guess it must get really boring grinding day in day out so im not sure if its for me yet.

Also have redundancy insurance which covers 125% of my mortgage payments for up to a year, so its not all bad!
  • edited March 2011
    Sorry to hear about this mate...
    We have had many battles and im sure your good enough to make a good amount of money and maybe a living!
    Chin up bud