You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Question from a newbie!!

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Not sure this is the correct place to post this, but bear with me and see what
you think of this scenario.
It may well be a situation you have all seen several times, but it was a first
for me, and I just wondered what the opinion was.
After a period of betting pre-flop, myself and
1 other folded, leaving a showdown between the 2 remaining players.
The flop comes AA8; player number1 checks, player number2 checks.
Turn comes 8, again player 1 checks, player 2 checks behind once more.
The flop comes A, giving obviously a full house on the board.
Now watching this unfold, my natural reaction was that they would both share the pot, and we'd
move on to the next hand.
But, player 1 at this point shoves all in.
My gut reaction in live play was that he was being a bit snyde, and trying to force the fold
from an inexperienced player, who may not be 100% certain of when a pot is shared, and
get himself/herself a bit flustered.
However, player 2 calls and goes ALL IN himself, and my reading of this move was that he was just making
sure of his share.
Now you wise heads are probably ahead of me here, and have already guessed what happened next - but
player 1 actually had the 4th Ace and knocked the other guy out!!!!!!
I have two questions for you following on from this:

1) Given that player 1 had not shoved after the Flop, or on the turn, was it reasonable for player 2 to conclude that player 1 could not have the Ace? Did he even consider the possibility of a 4th Ace??? (But that's another matter!!) 
Would you have called his shove?

2) Surely player 1 actually played the hand badly? But all's well that ends well, I suppose?!

ps Because of the cynical nature displayed by most gamblers, I have at this point to swear
on my son's eyesight, that I was neither player 1 nor player 2 - honest guv!!  :-)

Comments

• edited March 2011
  • edited March 2011
    Hey it is the correct place and welcome to the forum u dopey......... ;)

As played anyone would have to call the all in shove, regardless of the pre flop play there is a house on the board and you can never fold to a shove. Player 1 played peferct by the sounds of it,  player 2 was unlucky

Although that said player 2 could have higher then 88 so would defo have to call
  • edited March 2011
    1. No, I wouldn't have called the shove for a split. Often that's a newbie mistake.
    Would've snap called with 99 in my hand though!
    2. I think he could've played it better. Once the turn shows aces and eights, it's time to get some money in as the other guy can't catch up. You need to hope he's got an 8 and will call.
  • edited March 2011
    im never making that call unless i have great reads on my opponent or holding 99+. Its a good move to just shove when theres a full house on the board when holding quads as many players will assume he's a thief and make the call, only at that point he really steals the money.