You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was I a "River Donk"

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi Guys,

After winning this hand I was called a River donk.

yes I hit on the river,  but my view was the bet on the Turn wasn't big enough to chase of my 2 pair.  Opinions?

Hope the hand shows OK,  doesn't always work with Safari 

Hand History #354961945 (15:41 24/03/2011)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceV1Small blind 15.0015.002270.00v2Big blind 30.0045.002000.00 Your hole cardsJK   JockBMWRaise 90.00135.001860.00V3Fold    V4Fold    VillanCall 90.00225.001870.00V1Fold    V2Fold    Flop  5JK   JockBMWCheck    VillanCheck    Turn  10   JockBMWCheck    VillanBet 112.50337.501757.50JockBMWCall 112.50450.001747.50River  J   JockBMWCheck    VillanBet 180.00630.001577.50JockBMWAll-in 1747.502377.500.00VillanCall 1567.503945.0010.00JockBMWShowJK   VillanShowQ9   JockBMWWinFull House, Jacks and Kings3945.00 3945.00

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Depends if you believed he had the straight or not. You were 9% to hit your house, so unless you were putting him on a worse two pair or semibluff heart draw you may well be a River donk. :}
  • edited March 2011
    Lol, your kidding right?

You slow play the flop, he bets half pot when you hold top two and he's hit a 4 outer, then you redraw the 4 outer.

He's dominated, get lucky, you get lucky back. 

Only thing questionable is the raise with KJo UTG

He's 18% off the flop, sick for him that he makes his hand on the turn, but that doesnt make you a donk, the opposite in fact, you go for max value on the river and get it.

• edited March 2011

What was the thinking behind checking the flop?

Then more alarmingly, the turn,....... ?
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Was I a "River Donk":
    What was th e thinking b ehind ch ecking th e flop? Th en mor e alarmingly, th e turn,....... ?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

To be honest after the flop I was totally convinced that I was ahead so checked it to try and trap him into betting.

After the straight draw hit I decided to check it to see what he did,  his half pot bet was small enough that I was willing to call as I would still have had enough behind to be int he game.

If I had missed the river and he had bet again I would have folded 

Would have cost me a few chips but not crippled me.

Does that make sense? 

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Was I a "River Donk":
    In Response to Re: Was I a "River Donk" : To be honest after the flop I was totally convinced that I was ahead so checked it to try and trap him into betting. After the straight draw hit I decided to check it to see what he did,  his half pot bet was small enough that I was willing to call as I would still have had enough behind to be int he game. If I had missed the river and he had bet again I would have folded  Would have cost me a few chips but not crippled me. Does that make sense? 
    Posted by JockBMW
    So bet !!! lol

It makes sense yeh, but the board is draw heavy, 2 high cards and a flush draw, you need to bet - , to firstly protect your hand, and secondly, make the pot worth winning!

The way you've played it, you're only ever gonna win a big pot if it's a total cooler.

The times he has a flush draw, weaker top pair, straight draw etc, u're never gonna win any chips.

Big hand = bet bet bet.

U weren't a river donk though, nh.  ;)

• edited March 2011
    Bet every street, watching you check that flop OOP makes me want to cry.
  • edited March 2011
    No, you were not a river donk as you got paid the maximum in the end.. But....

You were a flop and turn donk for the reasons given by Dohhhhhhh :)

You got a nice hand on a vulnerable board so BET IT! We can't rely on others to do our betting for us on that sort of board imo.

• edited March 2011
    Many Thanks Guys,

Advice taken in.  Muchly appreciated 

(P.S.  Used it to good effect in a live game last night.   Cheers )