You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

To check raise or not to check raise?

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat
Quite a lengthy discussion in poker clinic in regard to the check raise and I wanted to open a thread here, mainly to see if my line of thinking really is that out of whack with the majority.

For a variety of reasons that I've already gone into, I very, very rarely checkraise.  The only occassions I'l do it is if I'm know my opponent cant stand a raise (i.e I'm weak) or very rarely at the turn or river when I know my opponent will fold to a bet or to pot commit him, but most likely not even then.

I just think if youre trying to extract value the C/R is your worst play, I'll go into more detail if people are interested, but I was just curious as to what you guys though?

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I think you are wrong to say that it is the worst play to extract value. It is a useful weapon, but I agree that knowledge of opponents is important.

But it is not difficult to counter a player who overuses the check raise. Exactly as you could a player who cbets every flop or raises every button.

In tournaments I like to mix up my game and will use it in the right spots. There are players about who will almost automatically bet when a flop is checked to them, and then call your reraise light more out of pride than anything else.

And if the stack sizes are right you can often commit them to a pot, when they have very little.

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: To check raise or not to check raise?:
    I think you are wrong to say that it is the worst play to extract value. It is a useful weapon, but I agree that knowledge of opponents is important. But it is not difficult to counter a player who overuses the check raise. Exactly as you could a player who cbets every flop or raises every button. In tournaments I like to mix up my game and will use it in the right spots. There are players about who will almost automatically bet when a flop is checked to them, and then call your reraise light more out of pride than anything else. And if the stack sizes are right you can often commit them to a pot, when they have very little.
    Posted by penguin7

You are an evil, evil man Mr P ;o)

• edited March 2011
    Yeah totally agree with the check raise light, predicting your opponents play, I should have made my OP clearer.

When sat strong/very strong, why would you look to check raise?  In that scenario, with a fairly dry board, I just dont see the sense. Again, will go into more detail if needs be, just want to hear a variety of perspectives, than will put mine.

• edited March 2011
    I've been using it quite alot since the discussion as has been good for me. good to combat the standard Cbet, i have used both as a bluff and as the nuts to balance the range etc

I recommend it but you have to use it correctly not just constantly
  • edited March 2011
    Yes, it is great against the standard c-bet, if your playing frequently online it should be used a lot in that situation, simply because people find it very VERY hard to check back in position when  they've raised pre flop. 

What did you think to that other thread Young gun?  There's alot of strategy in there.  Wasnt sure If I was getting my point across.
  • edited March 2011
    TBF i didn't read it fully mate, thread was ok lol just made me think i need to use it a bit more ;)
  • edited March 2011
    i think check-raising is one of the most useful moves, it allows for us to get stacks in when we have a big hand or a big draw. 
  • edited March 2011
    i think check-raising is one of the most useful moves, it allows for us to get stacks in when we have a big hand or a big draw. 
    Posted by hurst05

+ 1 

• edited March 2011
    i like to use it in a tournament setting as a bluff after a pretty poor flop comes out im utg i check, it gets checked to the guy in possition and he puts an obscene raise in quite clearly trying to bully his way into money, snap raise makes it appear your trying to trap him. Deadly when your wrong though
  • edited March 2011
    You see this is the point I'm trying to make.  To get your stack in with a big hand or big draw, your opponent must have something to get it in with you.

So why check raise?  Your basically forcing your opponent to re evaluate the strength of their hand, making good players wary and bad players cautious. If you have the big hand, or the big draw, surely you are much better off leading out, looking for a re raise, allowing you to 3bet, putting more in the pot than the check raise would.  Plus your giving yourself the opportunity to pick up the uncontested pots when your opponent holds nothing.  Your much more likely to get action on the flop than the turn, so even if its not all in on the flop, you still get to disguise the strength of your hand, getting at least two streets of value or thin value calls/showdown value, even allowing your opponent to make mistakes on later streets

Again, your stack is only going in if your opponent is strong, unless they see you leading out alot, where this will infact stimulate people re raising you weak!  Your also never letting freecards come off, so no free runner runner backdoor beats.

• edited March 2011
    do you ever lead/3bet the flop as a bluff?
  • edited March 2011
    You're on a table, one player c-bets 99% of flops after they've raised pre. The flop comes really dry and you think has missed your opponent, they c-bet again, sometimes if you check raise here you can bully them off the pot easily.

• edited March 2011
    You see this is the point I'm trying to make.  To get your stack in with a big hand or big draw, your opponent must have something to get it in with you. So why check raise?  Your basically forcing your opponent to re evaluate the strength of their hand, making good players wary and bad players cautious. If you have the big hand, or the big draw, surely you are much better off leading out, looking for a re raise, allowing you to 3bet, putting more in the pot than the check raise would.  Plus your giving yourself the opportunity to pick up the uncontested pots when your opponent holds nothing.  Your much more likely to get action on the flop than the turn, so even if its not all in on the flop, you still get to disguise the strength of your hand, getting at least two streets of value or thin value calls/showdown value, even allowing your opponent to make mistakes on later streets Again, your stack is only going in if your opponent is strong, unless they see you leading out alot, where this will infact stimulate people re raising you weak!  Your also never letting freecards come off, so no free runner runner backdoor beats.
    Posted by AMYBR
    if you have a big draw you still need to hit to make your hand, if the guy folds you win a nice pot without the risk of missing the cards you need. if you get it all in then fine. 
  • edited March 2011

*To get your stack in with a big hand or big draw, your opponent must have something to get it in with you.*

by check raising, you give also give your opponent the opportunity to Jam on you if they think your making a move,,, c/r very important tool 
  • edited March 2011
    BTN raises
    we call from SB with like T9cc

Flop K 8 3 rainbow

do we check/fold to the cbet or check/raise.
  • edited March 2011
    *To get your stack in with a big hand or big draw, your opponent must have something to get it in with you .* by check raising, you give also give your opponent the opportunity to Jam on you if they think your making a move,,, c/r very important tool 
    Posted by ChirpyChip

If your opponest is likely/capable of doing this then they are just as capable of raising any lead out you make, same result, without the ossaciated benefits of the lead out (taking the uncontested pots.
  • edited March 2011
    do you ever lead/3bet the flop as a bluff?
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

Yes, but only in the given spots I've mentioned if weak.  Greenstein - esque, premium strong pre flop hand selection, aggressive post flop,
  • edited March 2011
    You're on a table, one player c-bets 99% of flops after they've raised pre. The flop comes really dry and you think has missed your opponent, they c-bet again, sometimes if you check raise here you can bully them off the pot easily.
    Posted by AcidMan27

Yep already went through this bud.  Am not talking about check raising a standard c bet OOP.  Talking extracting value when OOP sat strong.
  • edited March 2011
    As Chirpychips says, it's an important tool. Simply put, the more moves/tools you have in your arsenal, the trickier a player you are to play against, so check raising seldomly is going to make you an easier opponent. Not a good thing.

Would I check raise on dry flops such as K83r with T9cc? Not half as much as I would lead. If I am check raising a lot on these flops, I am polarising my range too much and also going to spew chips if I get jammed on. Why C/R a 200 bet on the flop to 750 only to fold when, if you suspect your opponent has missed the flop, you can lead for 200 yourself and get them off the hand that way?

Usual Sky Dave caveats apply: depends on so many variables including opponent, your image (meta and recent), stack sizes, etc.
  • edited March 2011
    On Amybr's point about using the C/R as a way to extract value on made hands OOP, I think it becomes more useful in these situations, especially when the flop comes wet and you're happy enough to play for stacks. I would not be C/R as readily with AK on a K83r flop though as it basically stops our opponent from bluffing off more chips. I would C/C flop and then C/R or B/C on the turn with what I consider strong hands.
  • edited March 2011
    As Chirpychips says, it's an important tool. Simply put, the more moves/tools you have in your arsenal, the trickier a player you are to play against, so check raising seldomly is going to make you an easier opponent. Not a good thing. Would I check raise on dry flops such as K83r with T9cc? Not half as much as I would lead. If I am check raising a lot on these flops, I am polarising my range too much and also going to spew chips if I get jammed on. Why C/R a 200 bet on the flop to 750 only to fold when, if you suspect your opponent has missed the flop, you can lead for 200 yourself and get them off the hand that way? Usual Sky Dave caveats apply: depends on so many variables including opponent, your image (meta and recent), stack sizes, etc.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Because u will just get floated every single time and end up swearing when you have to c/f the turn and it begins to feel like ur playing against Ivey !!!!
  • edited March 2011
    BTN raises we call from SB with like T9cc Flop K 8 3 rainbow do we check/fold to the cbet or check/raise.
    Posted by scotty77
    Depends on the BTN.
    Against a serial c-better it's a great spot to check raise on because villain can only call with K+ really unless he knows you are check raising as a bluff.
    Against a calling station who only c-bets when they've hit the flop it's an easy check fold.
    Against a random sometimes I would check fold, sometimes I would check raise and sometimes I would check call and donk bet turn/ check fold turn or if he checks turn back then maybe take a stab on the river.
  • edited March 2011
    On Amybr's point about using the C/R as a way to extract value on made hands OOP, I think it becomes more useful in these situations, especially when the flop comes wet and you're happy enough to play for stacks. I would not be C/R as readily with AK on a K83r flop though as it basically stops our opponent from bluffing off more chips. I would C/C flop and then C/R or B/C on the turn with what I consider strong hands.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    It is more likely that the opponent will c-bet a dry flop. So on a wet flop im more likely to donk bet to avoid the risk of the opponent checking behind because they will call if they have anything and will probs check if they completely missed the flop.
  • edited March 2011
    BTN raises we call from SB with like T9cc Flop K 8 3 rainbow do we check/fold to the cbet or check/raise.
    Posted by scotty77
    Fold pre lol
  • edited March 2011
    There's alot of good POV's here and this type of discussion was exactly what I hoped for.

Again, just for clarity, I wasnt concerning strategy OOP against a pre flop raiser conscistent C-better.  I am focusing on a strong hand flopped, played OOP

So taking away strategy to re pop a guarenteed c-bet on a dry board, they mostly have A high with no connection, flop plays into a callers range.

I am primarily talking of extracting value when sat strong OOP, I do not like the check raise.

But saying that I did do it twice last night playing £2/4.

Had just doubled into the £460 range, then I guy i respect makes it £13 UTG.  I flat from the button with AKs.  Spewy player makes it £32 from the BB, guy I respect flats I jam, as the 3 better has only around £240.  I know the guys game whom I respect fold J's and lower + Apic, 3 better calls w AQ.  Not exactly a check raise, but essentially performs the same function.

2nd time.  Was getting late, only 4 players stilll playing, decided to play 2 more orbits.  Gone to £3/6 £1ante.  Serial raiser makes it £20 on my BB, I call J2s.  Flop comes pretty dry, but with 2 spades.  I check, he bets £27, I make it £55 (pushing him off a standard c-bet, seeing if he pushes, puts money in if spade falls).  I make my flush on the turn.  Check as though I dont like the turn spade, he checks back.  I bet £80 into £153, he says he thinks I'm bluffing the flush and calls very weak. 

So have to agree with the earlier statements on the C/R with the draw, as I do play it that way H/U, as will often take the flip dependant on stack size.

Mainly was concerned with the made hand extract value circumstance though.  Opponent will draw/float/make a play off the flop, but check, check back to the turn minimises this option, plus the check, check raise strong forces your opponent to reasses their hand.

As sky dave says, it is useful to have the move in your arsenal,  But in the described situation above you do not want to send up the flare.  If your being selective pre, aggressive post, your lead out should stimulate the exact action your after + being good strategy overall whenhaving no hand no draw.
  • edited March 2011
    in the hand where you have J2s we'll ignore the bad bet sizing (gotta get a needle in there somewhere!) but why cant we substitute your hand for whatever pocket pair made a set and play it the same way? you say he called you down really weak which means he floated the flop with a pretty weak hand i take it?

i thought your main concern against it was that it tells your opponent how super strong you are
  • edited March 2011
    Lol yes, but as I said the semi nut draw (str/flush) is the correct exception than I was missing to the strategy of the C/R.

Straight draw/flush draw your hoping your Opponent leads out with TP decent kicker, where stack appropriate, as the C/R is most definately prefferable as your putting all but the cream of players in a instant jam/call spot.  The more experienced you become and the more sick of variance, an experienced player may well stack TP decent kicker when raised, the raise essentially demanding allin/fold if they feel flipping against those dangerous hands.

Love the needle!, but again long time poker friend/adversary who i respect and like to play against (self made millionaire).  Playing last couple of hands, up alot.  I raise small to see if he 3 bets or sets me all in.  Then I can decide to play my equity @ around 40% for a huge last minute run or fold.  If he comes back at me, its one or the other.  Leave in solid profit (fold the 3 bet), leave in huge profit (4 bet allin in and hit) or go broke.  With three hands left, I give him the momentum, but have the last decision to end the night on my terms :)

With him calling light, I put him on maybe third pair, but he thought for a long time and said "because of your ability, I call".  I thought this was a rubdown initially, but had a meal afterwards and he said I'd been on a bit of a heater and he knew I'd bluff spades with or without there on the river, which I kind of liked :p

The last issue in regard to super strong bud, I think its only a concern if you actually are super strong which was what I was always getting at.  Check raising a standard c-bet weak, great.  Check raising with a draw...iffy, i still prefer the lead out.  Check raising super strong?  Insanity IMO.  
  • edited March 2011
    So, let me get this straight...

You're worried about check raising looking super strong, but essentially- you only ever use it as a bluff? Don't you see how exploitable that is? Sure, you might be semi-bluffing with a weak pair or a draw, but it's still bluffing- if all the chips go in, you're aware your hand is just about never good. 

If the check raise is only ever used as a way of pushing standard c-bets around (which is a great use of them, don't get me wrong) but you never end up showing down decent cards- people will cotton on.

What I'd personally look at is the theory that you should NEVER do anything 100% of the time, ever- with the one exception being don't ever fold the nuts. That's really a bad move. But what you should be doing is saying, in this spot the best move is generally to bet/check/raise etc, so 70/80% of the time, I'll do that. But to balance my range, I'll be doing something a little unorthodox, just to keep people honest.

Say when you hold AK on an AAK rainbow board- here, you need to check to let your opponent catch up, it's the done thing- there's just so few hands your opponent can have that compete with you here. So your check rate wants to be like 80/90%. But just once in a while, you want to bet out here so your game doesn't become too predictable. Same with check raising- you want to mostly do this with draws and c-bet catching, but just once in a while when you flop a set- make the decision to check raise, balance your hand range. It only takes one time for your opponent to see a check raise with a real hand to give all your future bluffy check raises that much more bite.

All this is obviously dependant on your table image, your opponents ability and image, etc etc, and how people react to bets/checks/raises. Against loose passive players you obviously have to force the action a lot more, whilst against very loose aggressive players, check raising becomes a much bigger tool- once they make their bet and you raise it, they feel almost obliged to call to 'defend' their bet. You're making them voluntarily commit more chips into the pot, making them feel more attached to playing.
  • edited March 2011
    Here's a scenario to hopefully show how check raising can help you a lot;

£1/2 game, seated in SB. Button is highly aggro preflop with reasonably high c-bet frequency, and is a moderately decent player- unlikely to make massive moves, but capable of slowing down and laying down medium strength hands. Button opens to £6, you flat with 22 in SB, BB folds- action is heads up. Pot is £13. Both you and villain have stacks of £200 (£194 now).

Flop comes 10-7-2 rainbow. You check, villain bets £9, pot is £22.

Your options are now to flat or raise. We know villain is aggro, but unlikely to start getting too out of control with medium strength hands. So you should flat?

Not in my opinion. If villain has a total airball (J5 or something) you're not getting any more money out of him. However, if he has a range of hands like A7/79/78/109/108/AJ+KJ+/10J+, he's very unlikely to get out of the way just to a single raise. So by raising up to say, £25, he's unlikely to just dump his top/2nd pair with gutshot/2 overs to a single check raise, which could very easily be a semi-bluff, or a c-bet catcher. He's also very unlikely to reraise, but so be it. You've now inflated the pot to £63 instead of the £31 it would have been if you flat. Now if a card comes on the turn that improves villains hand to 2 pair/trips, you've got a much better chance of stacking him- since he won't be able to fold them. He may, however, be able to avoid getting stacked when raises kick in if you haven't built the pot on the flop.

What's important is what the raise or flat tells the villain for future action. If you flat, alarm bells will be going off in villains head, and you're unlikely to get much more action apart from if he goes for a crazy 3 barrel bluff. If he has any part of the board (even overs), he is almost always checking behind on the turn to peel off a free card, and see what you want to do on the river, control the pot with his medium strength hand. By bloating the pot on the flop, you're removing that option- and he has to call a sizeable bet with his medium strength hand now.

So what if you lead out on the flop? Again, although you *might* get lucky with a reraise, the chances are fairly slim unless he's hit a decent draw- he'll probably call and float you. You may then get away with checking the turn to induce a bet, but all it'll be is a single bet, then if you raise- you've lost him, if you call- you've also lost him (any bet on the river and he folds, if you check you may induce a bluff if he has total air, but more likely he'll check behind with any pair and you lose value). 

By leading out or check/calling, you're only really getting serious action if he does have a big part of the board. The check raise in this spot gets action from a lot of medium strength hands, and wins a lot more money I think.
  • edited March 2011
    I do agree wih all of the above, it is a sound profitable strategy.

BUT:

Same hand same board.  Lets say the opponent isnt aggro.  Put him on solid skills, solid play.  I agree that if you lead, get re raised and flat an alarm way well go off, but I've got to say against a more seasoned player the check raise would be a much louder alarm.  The lead out looks weaker, often inducing the re raise from the solid player/more frequently the aggro, especially if its your overall strategy is to lead out much of the time.

But again I agree, that if you do flat the flop three bet it, more often than not, should be a check on the turn to induce the bet intending to drop the hammer on the river when mostly pot committed.  How often are you getting paid thin at the turn/river after the flop C/R though?

Again I should have been clearer, obviously your always going to mix your game up.  If a persons game never deviates it is very easy to counter.  If I give some of my opponents credit for really obseving the table then naturally, your going to switch gears

I think there is alot of strategy to both, using one over the other in certain situations, stack size/player type.

Personally I feel that the lead out is prefferable, mainly because of the associated benefits + no free cards.  The lead out gets most players thinking how can they take the pot away these days, rather than fold to one bet.  Juices up the pot, stimulates action, no one draws for free, looks weaker than the check raise and check call.  Run the risk of check back, but even worse, fold to the check raise.

Really enjoying the other points of view though.  May experiment more with the check raise tonight (live), but have to be honest I havent really used it much in the last few years.  Dont get me wrong its there in the right spot when needed.  Mostly dont use it though as I tend to play most pots in position, or have 3bet/4bet pre.  So 3/4 betting OOP pre, to check the flop isnt going to happen often anyhow.