You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Moving between levels

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi

I generally play at the 10/20 levels. I can generally grind it out at this level playing not very sophisticated poker. However, when i flirt with higher levels i find that the same style of poker does not really work. For instance, there is alot more of floating, c betting and there are less tight passive players. I can adapt to this type of table and style, however, sometime i find it is then has a bad effect of my game at the lower levels. For instance, in general a smallish/medium bet on the flop might be a continuation bet at a higher level, but at lower levels he has probably hit... (this obiviously player dependent).

Has anyone got any advice in terms of playing style of how to move up levels

thanks

Comments

• edited March 2011
    you get bad players at all levels, against better players think about their range and your perceived and how it fits with board texture their opening and betting frequencies etc etc etc, position is massive in poker even more so vs better players like you can be in a 3bet pot 50/50 pre but as position is such an advantage it kinda improves your odds of winning, position is king you can play super nitty utg utg+1 then open 100% of hands in late position and prolly show a profit, position position position
  • edited March 2011

thanks, what do you do if you are at a table with a few really good players, do you leave and just find an easier table or just play and try and compete with them

• edited March 2011
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Moving between levels:
    thanks, what do you do if you are at a table with a few really good players, do you leave and just find an easier table or just play and try and compete with them
    Posted by hamster880
    well there's no point making your life difficult if there are better games on other tables, obviously table selection is very important ideally i like to have two nits to my left at least one bad player and whoever else to my right
  • edited March 2011

I personally have a real hard problem moving form a table once ive sat down. Despite the notes on players that say "Good" "knows you play tight and contras" "THis guy is better than you".

Horrible leak of mine and down to pure laziness and ego. Working on it by multi tabling only two tables at a time and littarally giving people a * every time they make a play i never saw coming, and giving them a minus evey time they do something that i think was bad or i would have out played. On top of normal notes.

Hamster you also play NL4 so i dont know how effective this will be for you as i have to assume you play all three levels, but for me it a god send. fpr some reason, seeing ** on three players rounf the table makes me want to leave a lot more than seeing "TAG, Good Player, Watch out for..... ..... "

• edited March 2011
    Unfortunately you're just at that level where the game changes markedly. The gap between 20NL and 50NL is huge - even I can beat 20NL and I'm a terrible player! 50NL is just harder work.
    Stick on 20NL but play more tables!
  • edited March 2011
    Unfortunately you're just at that level where the game changes markedly. The gap between 20NL and 50NL is huge - even I can beat 20NL and I'm a terrible player! 50NL is just harder work. Stick on 20NL but play more tables!
    Posted by BigBluster
    i disagree thats the gap is huge, the tags are a bit better and you get 3 bet more but you only need to make a few adjustments
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Moving between levels : i disagree thats the gap is huge, the tags are a bit better and you get 3 bet more but you only need to make a few adjustments
    Posted by N1CK
    What are these adjustments?
  • edited March 2011
    Buy some new trousers for accidents.

• edited March 2011
    well i cant speak for the standard on sky because i dont play on here for all i know the gap could be massive lol, but from my experiance on other sites the standard is pretty close, if your playing nl20p your game should be pretty solid and you should be opening your game up, you can grind a profit playing tight 17/14 down to 10/8 but at 20p + you need to open your game up 21/17+(in the higher end of TAG) imo, regs dont really get out of line at nl50p you get the odd light 3 bettor but thats pretty much it, if you just play solid you will be fine.

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: Moving between levels : What are these adjustments?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    most of your profit comes from other players mistakes and the players that make the most are the bad ones(fish)
    when you play nl50p you get more regs most of which are just griding it out they just play their game your job is to find ways to exploit them some of them wont even adjust because they play to many tables, basically just play solid poker look to play pots with fish and look for opportunities against the regs