You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Do i think about what might of been too much?

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to sky poker, been on here about 5 months or so.. I'm doing okay, i've had a few pay outs in £1.10, £2.20 MTT's, my best was winning one for £35. So not amazing but not terrible!

Anyways moving on to something i have been thinking about early... 

Basically folding junk or just poor cards and then flopping a decent hand. 
Eg
2 7 ... fold.... flop 772 

Most of the time it's been a raise of 2-3 BB to see this flop, hence the fold..

Should we worry about what we could of won? or is it just bad luck? Or do i make my game alot looser? but i don't want to start playing any old hand?!

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Having no option to not show folded cards certainly dosn't help.

If the decision was correct at the time you made it, ie to fold, then regardless what happens in the future that decision was still correct, we make our decisions on the information we have at hand not on future infomation we never have access to.
  • edited March 2011
    It happens to us all, all of the time. Don't waste your mental energy thinking 'if only' and stuff like that. 95% of the time your junk cards will either miss the flop completely or end up getting you in trouble and losing you a load of your chips. OK, so maybe 5% of the time or they would have made a monster and won a big pot, but do the maths, playing them will not be profitable in the long run.

To prove this to yourself write down the flop the next 100 times you pick up 72o. Then add up how many of those 100 times you would have had a flop like that one above and how many would have been a waste of your chips.
  • edited March 2011

No you sound just fine to me. It is just a frustrating part of the game. If you play 7,2 every time just because it once flopped 7,7,2 then you will be just throwing money away. Basically, how many times is that flop coming? Hardly ever. The amount of times that does'nt hit far outweighs the once or twice it does.

If that hand comes on the flop (just for example, as i dont know the exact odds) every 500 hands and it costs you a big blind every time you play 7,2 for example, when you eventually hit your 1 in 500 hand you have to make over 500 x the big blinds you wasted on chasing this flop! You are'nt gonna do this so over time your on a loser!

Keep folding the rubbish and think of the times you save your chips rather than spew them about the table!

• edited March 2011
    there is no point in thinking about them m8. happens to us all but not as much as when it doesn't and you don't remember them!
    if it was correct to fold before the flop then it was correct to fold
  • edited March 2011
    You'll always be kicking yourself playing hindsight flop poker.  There's a reason why you folded the junk hand, you know that it just isnt profitable overall, bar the lucky time.

But I think you HAVE to think what could have been in general, its frustration and disappointment at needless losses that make you obsessively refine and streamline your game.  I pretty much remember every live hand that i've ever been actively involved in, I lie in bed sometimes thinking of the more significant ones (maybe 4/5 years ago) trying to tweak it or understand my own thinking, processing constantly.  Sad but true.
  • edited March 2011
    And also like a few people have pointed out - using the 7,2 as an example. A flop of 7,2,2 is really unlikely, but a flop of 7,2, J or 7,7, K maybe more likely (Not much but still) what happens in these hands when some one raises your bet?

Can you be sure your ahead.....no.....bigger two pair or kicker for the trips out there.....but your not folding are you, because that would defeat the object of playing the hands in the first place. So you shove, they call and you lose to a larger kicker or two pair and are busto.

If you do flop the monster 7,2,2 what the hell is the chances someone has a decent peice of it for you to bust them? Minimal.

Losing proposition for these reasons and the other due to the chance of hitting that flop. Foldem, forgetem, Move on. Worry about what you did that could have been avoided not vice versa imho.
  • edited March 2011
    I think it's worth thinking about these things. Not with junk like 72, but particularly with marginal hands. It can help in developing your game away from what 'the book says'. Do you always fold KJs or 66 to a raise? How about a button raise? What if there is a raise and a call - still folding the 66 then? Or a raise and a re-raise?

Fold by all means, but watch how the hand develops. But ask yourself realistically if you would still be in after the flop action - don't base it all on the 6 that happens to hit the river.
    You may find you're playing too tight/loose against these opponents at this time on this table.