You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Notes on opposition.

Hello. Just a general question really. I have been using the 'notes' on the opposition and have built up quite a selction on the tables i play on. Because i have'nt been playing poker that long i just wondered if what i am typing in here is the correct information. I tend to put certain players starting hands in there and what position they were in to determine their range and any quirks in their game like overbetting flushes,or chasing hands even though they dont have the odds etc. Are these notes too specific? I know some others who just seem to put  'tight aggressive' or 'very loose' in there, these seem a bit too vague for me.

Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question but just wondered what most people do as no one has ever mentioned if there is a right or wrong way to use this imo vital part of the site.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    It depends on what suits you and what the game is, personall i usually put how many BB , what level if DYM, wat position but in short eg. CO or BTN
  • edited March 2011
    Not a big note taker my self,

but ive seen some note taking from good players and they usually write  notes on specific hands like you do, until they get a more general note over time.
  • edited March 2011
    i tend to make mine specific to the hands but that can get too large so i then do a summary one after alot more hands and tables
  • edited March 2011
    I've ended up with reams of notes on players, most of which were worthless. They're mostly too variable - one day the villain can be spewing chips all over the place, the next day he's the biggest lump of rock you've ever seen. One day he'll raise with flush draws, next day he won't play a draw at all! My notes will put this down to position, hand selecton etc when in fact it could be a million other things - how much he's drunk, if he has to put the kids to bed, the dinner is in the oven.....

I do keep notes though. As I play MTTs, it's almost exclusively on shoving ranges and when they get into shove or fold mode. In this area people tend to be pretty predictable - e.g. it's amazing how once a player will shove first-in with any ace or any pocket pair and less than 12 big blinds, they will ALWAYS shove first-in with any ace or any pocket pair and less than twelve big blinds. In their minds it's the right move - but not with 14 big blinds it's not! And not if there's a prior limper, and so on.....