You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AKs preflop, 22 BB's to call off preflop

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic

X1 Small blind   200.00 200.00 7903.75
X2 Big blind   400.00 600.00 13595.00
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

rickky Fold        
Dudeskin8 Raise   1200.00 1800.00 9193.75
CHICKEN147 Fold        
X1 Raise   3400.00 5200.00 4503.75
X2 All-in   13595.00 18795.00 0.00
Dudeskin8

Comments

• edited March 2011
    if just x1 i would snap it off, but x2 3 bet i put it down!!
  • edited March 2011
    Depends on the situation. If you're 18/20 in a tourney when 20 get paid, it's a call. You could treble up and would probably be chip leader with a fair chance of winning it.

Most times though it's best to fold what is just ace high.
  • edited March 2011
    I am with BigBluster on this as the situation is very important regarding where you are in the tourney.

I probably fold as you dont have a hand really, as BigBluster said, its just Ace high and you are racing at the very best! X1 looks like he is gonna call the all in so just quietly get out of the way. X2 knows that X1 is probably pot committed now so he isnt shoving with air here. Sit back, watch and make a note of the play would be my opinion.
  • edited March 2011
    I agree that it's best to get out the way and tbh I am genrally a tight player and will stay out of trouble, in this spot I was probably around 17/30 so of course no need to take risks, but sometimes I feel that I'm being overly cautious in these sort of spots where maybe I need to be more Gung-Ho.
  • edited March 2011

I don't like 3x folding from 26xbb stack.

Do you always open 3x with blinds this big? 

Id be going something like 845.88/845.89 depending on how tight/loose the table is ;)

Because you open so big, it makes the guy who 3 bets half his stack look sooooo strong, which in turn makes the guy who 4b shoves look even stronger, I think theres a good chance one of them has KK or AA.

You can open smaller, and save a big blind every time your steal attempt fails though, and also, encourage people to play back at you light, as you're giving them more fold equity, then you get paid for hands.

So open more often, but open for less.

Fold is good here though in these sorts of fields, where you clearly have, or at least should have, a significant edge.

• edited March 2011

It really depends where you are at in the tournement,i think i would probably call,and hope for a flip,as x1 could be 3 betting for chips,and for x2 to shove all in he probably has either ak or a medium pp...

i would not have put either of them on AA or KK

you have to think that trebling up here would put you in a great postion to get far in the tournemnt..

• edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: AKs preflop, 22 BB's to call off preflop:
    I don't like 3x folding from 26xbb stack. Do you always open 3x with blinds this big?  Id be going something like 845.88/845.89 depending on how tight/loose the table is ;) Because you open so big, it makes the guy who 3 bets half his stack look sooooo strong, which in turn makes the guy who 4b shoves look even stronger, I think theres a good chance one of them has KK or AA. You can open smaller, and save a big blind every time your steal attempt fails though, and also, encourage people to play back at you light, as you're giving them more fold equity, then you get paid for hands. So open more often, but open for less. Fold is good here though in these sorts of fields, where you clearly have, or at least should have, a significant edge.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I can asure you I don't always open for 3x at this level, at 400/800 the usual is 900, my thought process here was I didn't really mind making a slightly bigger raise as I was well prepared to snap off one guy who goes all in but as it turned out the 2nd guy suddenly finds a hand.

I also find it hard to put either on Aces/Kings as I'm holding two blockers to those hands but equally what the hell can they have that they'd make the move with.

I do think I have an edge in these events so it does make sense not risking it all with just Ace high.