You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

do i HAVE to call!!

edited March 2011 in The Poker Clinic
TOPOPTIONSSmall blind £0.25£0.25£16.22scoobyme05Big blind £0.50£0.75£49.89 Your hole cardsAJ   BAI21Fold    gerrard9Raise £2.50£3.25£46.75pod1Call £2.50£5.75£51.33yaaaaaaaaaFold    TOPOPTIONSFold    scoobyme05Call £2.00£7.75£47.89Flop  4103   scoobyme05Check    gerrard9Check    pod1Bet £3.88£11.63£47.45scoobyme05Call £3.88£15.51£44.01gerrard9Fold    Turn  6   scoobyme05Bet £5.00£20.51£39.01pod1Call £5.00£25.51£42.45River  5   scoobyme05All-in £39.01£64.52£0.00pod1Call £39.01£103.53£3.44scoobyme05Show2K   pod1ShowAJ   scoobyme05WinStraight Flush to the 6£101.73 £101.73

Comments

• edited March 2011
    don't think so no, with 4 to the straight flush- if they're all random, how confident do you feel with a Q high flush- or even K high?

With a board like that, and with you holding the A of spades, he just can't be doing that move with less than a straight flush IMO- if you have the 2 and he has the 7, I stack off. But as horrible as it is, I think it's a fold.

He's overbet the pot being pretty sure you have the nut flush, and won't be able to lay it down. No one in their right mind would make a bluff at that board without a spade, and you'd opt for a cheap showdown with less than the ace in your hand.
  • edited March 2011
    would a bigger bet on the turn of helped?
  • edited March 2011
    I know its a cop out answer but you never have to call.  Thing is the call on the turn leaves you in a weird spot.  you have the 2nd nuts at the turn, the guy leads strong so I'm definately raising to maybe £13 there, but it is tempting to call in position.

You got ridiculously UL, I dont think you can fold online there.  When you ask yourself what he's open shoving the river with, your beating all but 3.  Given more time and solid read you can put it down, as the board is very wet, middling suited connectors (7s) is definately worth considoring given the flop and turn action.  But very gross sir.
  • edited March 2011
    thinking about it, shoving turn aint gonna get him off!! £50 down the tube on the flop i reckon!!!
  • edited March 2011
    Raise the turn.
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: do i HAVE to call!!:
    thinking about it, shoving turn aint gonna get him off!! £50 down the tube on the flop i reckon!!!
    Posted by pod1
    This is the point pod......

You have the nuts, and you don't think he will fold if you raise the turn ..... so do it !!!!

This is a pretty easy fold on the river. Also his bet is really good in this situation.
  • edited March 2011
    can i really be scared on the turn ?????? what (apart from what he has) can i really be worried about to make me bet more than i did on turn and not shove on river??? did he call the flop with ks5 pre flop
  • edited March 2011
    You're not betting coz you're scared, you're betting to get paid.

You have to raise that turn card.
  • edited March 2011

I would have raised the turn but i dont think he's going anywhere. Its a call but its a crying one. I am not sure i would put him on the straight flush here as i would be doubting wether he would come in pre-flop OOP with a 2s or 7s. It depends on opponents range from this position, is he capable of coming in with 7,8 spades here? I would have put him on KsQs or something and called.

Its a fold if you have a good read on opponents range and he is capable of this.

• edited March 2011
    I am not as experienced as many on here evidently are, but I enjoy
    reading these scenario threads and the opinions given.
    Having made Ace flush on the turn, I am not merely flat calling scooby's bet, so 
    would have to agree with the consensus who suggested you should have raised at this point.
    The most interesting aspect of all this for me though, is what your opinion would be on
    scooby's predicament if a raise on the turn had come in?
    He has made King flush at this point, so would you find that an easy put down?
    Being a rookie poker player, I am still working on trying to develop the discipline needed to put down a good hand, but I know I would find laying that hand down very difficult indeed !!!!!!

• edited March 2011
    I wasn't looking at the betting action on the turn- raising it definitely has to be best because you were the postflop aggressor, which suggests you hit that board. There's nothing to suggest the flush has hit you above having 2 pair/set or something. Would raise up to around £15, which if he flats puts the pot at £45, with both of you having around £30 back. You then have to call any bet on the river so result is the same, but at least you got the majority of your money in good this time, and normally the river comes a brick and you stack him easy.

Regarding whether you want the money going in on the turn if he then reraises- 100% yes. You've only got 2 hands beating you- 25 spades and 57 spades, and the way the betting has gone you can be very confident that he hasn't got them. Once in a blue moon he *may* turn up with 57, but there's no way you can ever predict that- he'd have a king/queen/jack high flush far more often. When an opponent needs 2 cards to make a straight flush, you can basically never ever put them on it- I think it's a mistake if you do. You can't fold the nut flush just because the board comes 345s, unless you have the mother of all reads on them.

On the river however, any hand at all containing a 2 or 7 has you beat, and there's hundreds of combinations there. Not to mention his overbet pot shove is screaming straight flush now, since the best non-straight flush hand he has is the king high, and no one's gonna jam that on the end, not even a complete fish. Ace high maybe, but I doubt even that.
  • edited March 2011
    easy 2 say fold on turn/river but how many ov u wud do it if u didnt know the cards
  • edited March 2011
    easy 2 say fold on turn/river but how many ov u wud do it if u didnt know the cards
    Posted by seppe
    hes raisin 2k spades no1 wud put him on straight wtf pod shippin thinkin hes ahead is find but ye im simple lol
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Re: do i HAVE to call!! : hes raisin 2k spades no1 wud put him on straight wtf pod shippin thinkin hes ahead is find but ye im simple lol
    Posted by seppe
    Could you have another go at that in english??  :-)