You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hello everyone

edited March 2011 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

I sort of made my forum 'debut' on Master Cash last night but I wanted to post properly to introduce myself and perhaps get some advice if people are kind enough to oblige.

I have been playing poker online since the end of 2006 when I finally got broadband. I started watching late-night poker shows on Channel in about 2001 and was fascinated although I had very little idea what was going on.

I opened an account with another well-known site (am I allowed to mention names here?), made a standard deposit and started playing. Needless to say I blew the lot but learnt a lot doing so and thoroughly enjoyed it.

After that I spent a lot of time reading - I was lucky that I was self-employed and was able to play when I wanted and invest some time in the game - and watching poker TV programmes. I was a writer/reviewer so I was also sent poker books and computer games.

I must have reached a reasonable standard as I cleared bonuses at a couple of sites, cashed well in a couple of big tournaments, that kind of thing. (I am technically profitable, by about $30 or something ROFL.) However, when I went back to the world of work I stopped playing anywhere near as much.

More recently I've started playing regularly and enjoyed a modest run of success by coming 1st, 3rd, 6th and 9th in 200-runner tournaments and doing OK in single-table SNGs. However, the wheels came off not long ago when I couldn't win a hand for toffee, and I realised that I had lost the plot a bit. I mucked about playing Stud Hi and Razz and although I was quite good at the latter I found I couldn't get enough value out of it.

I feel like I need to get back to basics, work out what 'my game' might be and focus on being a solid player again. I'm always having arguments with myself over what I should play - Limit or NL? Cash or tournaments? Full ring or 6-max? The net result is just a load of confusion and a world of tilt LOL!!!!

I'm not quite sure what advice I'm asking for here but if anyone could help me get focused at least on what to play, I think that would help. Unfortunately my health is not so great at the moment so I am having to be careful how much energy I expend (on anything, not just poker) but it would be nice to at least feel comfortable playing again as I enjoy it so much.

Many thanks in advance!

MM (stands for Mystic Megabyte :D)

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Ugh, it logged me out while I was writing that!!!!
  • edited March 2011
    In Response to Hello everyone:
    Hi all, I sort of made my forum 'debut' on Master Cash last night but I wanted to post properly to introduce myself and perhaps get some advice if people are kind enough to oblige. I have been playing poker online since the end of 2006 when I finally got broadband. I started watching late-night poker shows on Channel in about 2001 and was fascinated although I had very little idea what was going on. I opened an account with another well-known site (am I allowed to mention names here?), made a standard deposit and started playing. Needless to say I blew the lot but learnt a lot doing so and thoroughly enjoyed it. After that I spent a lot of time reading - I was lucky that I was self-employed and was able to play when I wanted and invest some time in the game - and watching poker TV programmes. I was a writer/reviewer so I was also sent poker books and computer games. I must have reached a reasonable standard as I cleared bonuses at a couple of sites, cashed well in a couple of big tournaments, that kind of thing. (I am technically profitable, by about $30 or something ROFL.) However, when I went back to the world of work I stopped playing anywhere near as much. More recently I've started playing regularly and enjoyed a modest run of success by coming 1st, 3rd, 6th and 9th in 200-runner tournaments and doing OK in single-table SNGs. However, the wheels came off not long ago when I couldn't win a hand for toffee, and I realised that I had lost the plot a bit. I mucked about playing Stud Hi and Razz and although I was quite good at the latter I found I couldn't get enough value out of it. I feel like I need to get back to basics, work out what 'my game' might be and focus on being a solid player again. I'm always having arguments with myself over what I should play - Limit or NL? Cash or tournaments? Full ring or 6-max? The net result is just a load of confusion and a world of tilt LOL!!!! I'm not quite sure what advice I'm asking for here but if anyone could help me get focused at least on what to play, I think that would help. Unfortunately my health is not so great at the moment so I am having to be careful how much energy I expend (on anything, not just poker) but it would be nice to at least feel comfortable playing again as I enjoy it so much. Many thanks in advance! MM (stands for Mystic Megabyte :D)

I,m in the same boat so I,d also be interseted in any advice on this  - I,m sure we,re not the only ones with more and more games springing up all the time - DYM,s , HU , shootouts , satelites,  Omaha , Bounty Hunters etc
  • edited March 2011
    Play the one you are best at?

If you win at them all, play the ones you win most at. 

If you're running/playing bad at one, try one of the others.

If you ever feel on tilt, HU sng is deffo your get out of jail free card though, playing too many hands HU isn't possible ;)
  • edited March 2011

Sounds like you enjoy playing, but want to at least cover your expenses. A little profit every now and then would be nice, but as long as you're not in the hole then that's OK.
    Is this about right?

Play a lot of small buy-in MTTs, avoiding rebuy tournaments. For me, cash games are not fun - MTTs are fun, and every now and again you'll win enough to treat yourself to something - a nice meal, flowers for the wife, whatever. Sure you'll go a long time without winning one, but you should cash in maybe 20% of them and that'll keep your bankroll topped up.

Furthermore, playing small stakes MTTs gives you the chance to keep the chat box on and actually talk to the other players as you don't have to focus so much, particularly early on. Avoid HU games for the opposite reason - too much focus, too intense, too much hard work!

• edited March 2011
    My reply got eaten *sigh*

Anyway, what it said was that BB pretty much summed it up (far better than I did, thank you LOL). I've completely forgotten what I wrote after that but it involved saying that I didn't want to end up 'investing' to try to play at high cash limits. Then it all gets a bit hazy because I'd flopped a straight against two calling stations.

However, thank you for your very sensible answers! I enjoy both cash and tournaments but I get the infamous 'fun equity' with tournaments.

My honest solution to tilt is freerolls. I've been known to have one running behind a 'real' tournament so that if I get the shove instinct I can act on it without lasting damage and anybody caring. LOL donkaments!!
  • edited March 2011
    Welcome to the site & forum. Another member of the Cheshire Set I see :-D