You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

enough already!!

edited April 2011 in Area 51
just come back (couple of weeks ago) from a break as being beaten badly by rivers,flops,runner-runner,etc.
Read up, took advice especially about bet sizing (cheers Dohhhhhhh) but still can't win even with me tightening my range.

Even when I hit hard and 3/4 to at least pot bet i get caller/s who stay in to hit flushes/straights,......
I know I want to play these guys but at the moment I am running into sooo many of them that are hitting their cards no matter how small the chance is it is getting silly.

I've even had in today's session KK 4 times beaten by AA. No problem with that except that whenever I've had the Kings someone has had the Aces!!

Variance I know (and it's nl4) but WTF!!? People must have notes on me that say - keep calling you will hit against him.

It is getting so I am expecting them to hit now. It is effecting my play. And my enjoyment has gone.

This has been going on for some time now pre and post break. I know a couple of weeks post break is not that long, but nothing has changed in terms of results.

I think a longer break is in order. How long it lasts is anyones guess.

Sorry about the venting, just needed to let off some steam,etc..

GL at the tables

Comments

• edited March 2011

Hey Wb.

On your hand history, search "losses more than £1" (25xbb) and post 4/5 of the hands on this thread and I'll look over them.

Need to keep working at it.

You'll get there.......
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah do what DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH said.

Also keep going for more breaks if you're suffering losing sessions.

Set a limit to how much you're willing to go down by before logging off for an hour or so and then coming back refreshed and calmer.

I've found this helps to stop me tilting and stops me chasing losses which then ends in me gambling too much and therefore losing even more money.
  • edited March 2011
    thanks guys
    had chance to review play and hands now
    basically got tilted after a couple of losses that were down partially to luck but also to me pricing them in.
    my betting wasn't as good as I thought in these circumstances. what worked earlier in the session didn't here.
    getting there though!
    all part of the learning process
  • edited March 2011
    then again I get this:
    I knew he didn't have king as he would have reraised
    b Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.61
    nBig blind  £0.04 £0.06 £8.50
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

walesboy Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £1.45
    bbCall  £0.12 £0.30 £1.60
    dFold     
    b Call  £0.10 £0.40 £3.51
    Fold     
    Flop

b Check     
    walesboy Bet  £0.30 £0.70 £1.15
    bb Call  £0.30 £1.00 £1.30
    b Call  £0.30 £1.30 £3.21
    Turn

• K

b Check     
    walesboy All-in  £1.15 £2.45 £0.00
    bbFold     
    b Call  £1.15 £3.60 £2.06
    b Show
    • Q

walesboy Show
    • J
    • J

River

b Win Three 9s £3.33  £5.39
  • edited March 2011
    dont listen to dohh he is a muppet loool
  • edited April 2011
    2p/4p when u get a big hand and first to act raise to 28p every time sometimes at least that way when the flop comes theres enough in the pot to get it all in.... if theres 5 limpers and your bb with a big hand raise to 48p
  • edited April 2011
    An update:
    Well that's me done, at least for a while on cash
    The fish are running well again against me.
    KK beaten by Q7 and AK beaten by 96 after hitting K on flop.
    large bets pre both times and pot or 3/4 pot betting down the streets to lose at end
    and no one wants to give up a flush draw no matter the cards they hold which they hit on the river

I give up
    been going for at least 3 months now and have had the occasional win but what's the point?
    I've taken on board people's comments but at the moment I would have to go allin pre with hands to stand a chance of them folding.
    Is this nl4 specific?
    I reviewed the above hands and situations and except for a bigger initial pre raise, which in the above instances would not have seen them go as they saw every hand just about, and definately all those with raises pre, I am betting strong (at least 3/4 pots) and being called.

nothing against the site (it is not rigged) or the people I'm playing but it's not fun
    all part of the learning curve I guess.
    but I can't afford to keep going like this even though it's money I can afford to lose
    I want to move up and feel like I could but need to build the roll. I am back to where I started in terms of the roll though now. I had a target amount to reach before I went up and was 80% there but it has all gone.

I know people say you've got to consistently beat the level you are at before moving up but I don't what to do against people who keep calling and finally hit or just hit for fun on the flop.

Ah well, good luck guys
  • edited April 2011
    Hi Walesboy, there are a load of total nutters on the 2/4 tables, it's flopwit bingo most of the time mate--- personally I would advise you to build a bankroll in the deep stack tournaments (2.20 or 5.50 buy in), when you get 200 quid, have a go at 5/10p, a good raise usually gets a bit more respect, and players are generally a bit more competent,--- there are still a few loonies, but it is easier to pick them off when 2 or 3 of your opponents will respect a raise--gl floppa whoppa!!
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: enough already!!:
    Hi Walesboy, there are a load of total nutters on the 2/4 tables, it's flopwit bingo most of the time mate--- personally I would advise you to build a bankroll in the deep stack tournaments (2.20 or 5.50 buy in), when you get 200 quid, have a go at 5/10p, a good raise usually gets a bit more respect, and players are generally a bit more competent,--- there are still a few loonies, but it is easier to pick them off when 2 or 3 of your opponents will respect a raise--gl floppa whoppa!!
    Posted by oynutter
    It certainly seems to be getting more and more of a luckfest
    Is 4/8p the same then as you suggest missing this level out and going to 5/10p?
  • edited April 2011
    In Response to Re: enough already!!:
    In Response to Re: enough already!! : It certainly seems to be getting more and more of a luckfest Is 4/8p the same then as you suggest missing this level out and going to 5/10p?
    Posted by walesboy
    4/8 is better, but 5/10 is where poker begins to look less like bingo imo
  • edited April 2011

Don't move up if you're losing at 2/4.

You should be winning easily before you move up, or at least winning, very least breaking even.

It's such a bad idea to move up if you're losing. There are fish at every level. All that will happen is you'll break even/lose abit against the better players, but when the fish get you it will hurt twice as much than it did before.

It's really not a good idea.

edit - I agree with oy about the deepies though. Normally I wouldn't reccommend them as newbies don't often have the patience, but you seem to be quite solid and prepared to grind it out, so will be a good option for you.

I suspect you wont be aggressive enough in the later stages, and u'll find it hard to shove your last 10xbb with no hand sometimes, which you will need to do, but at least you'll get alot of play for your investment, and maybe start enjoying it abit more.
  • edited April 2011
     I agree with dohhhhh that there are fish at every level, but it is harder, even for a good solid player, to win at the 2/4 level (where it's mostly fish), sure you can grind it out and win at this level, but if you are a good player, I still think that 5/10 is a better game to play. That's why I said build a bankroll first, so that you can easily afford to lose a few buy ins while you adjust to the different gameplay at this level-- the deep stacks do take a bit of getting used to, be careful early on, changing gear at the right time is crucial, when the blinds reach 150/300, you have to up the aggression, when they reach 300/600, note who will often fold to a min raise and who will call one light ect.
     they are cheap enough to learn the game without losing much money, and you can build a roll in a couple of weeks that will be big enough for 5/10 cash, if you lose at the cash game, go back to the deepies till you have your roll again, I say that because the 2/4 is just so frustrating at times, with fish calling because you raised and not because they have a hand
     I do play the 2/4 tables now and again, usually fri/sat night, but I pick my tables and grind away at the nutters, playing very few hands and spotting loonies seems to be the way to win, but it's so easy to lose your stack to a lucky river card, you have to treble up and leave the table imo
  • edited April 2011
    the thing is I was winning. My roll had gone up 50% or so playing abc however my bet sizing had been too small. despite the occasional losing session the roll was moving up steadily. Now however there appears to be more of a call and hope mentailty around, and unfortunately they are hitting. they have been hitting so often that the profit I had built up has gone.

perhaps a bit of both, once I've had a(nother) break so i'd do nl4 and the deepstack? they can't keep hitting surely!?

until i reach my target £ roll i'll not be moving up no matter how frustrating nl4 is.it might be a case of banking a profit no matter how small to bring back the roll and enjoyment?
  • edited April 2011
    I make these lofty plans to play at a set level for periods of time, whether i reach target or not.  Then re assess at  the end of chosen time period, relative to BR, rather than when BR reaches target.  Gives you longer time to extract value from cracked level.  Never works out though :p